Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2015, 12:11   #16

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: AIS and cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
ZBoss,
And tugs hauling barges should have an AIS on the tow.
I would go even further and say all tankers and cruise ships, or any vessel of any significant size, should be required to be equipped with repeaters and/or storage that automatically uplink that data to a centralized database.

In the open ocean, boats would encounter each other and store/transmit that data regardless of VHF or Radar contact. Then that data would be fed into a central system to assist with search and rescue.

Old 01-10-2015, 13:34   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We're definitely AIS proponents, but not too happy about the proliferation of them as status symbols.

Also, please remember that even class A transponders can experience "glitches", we watched one such incident on a cruise ship just yesterday.

One's watchkeeping practices should include copious use of the mark one eyeball, and using the other tools at one's command. AIS can seduce the unwary into thinking he/she is alone on the ocean when he/she is not.

Ann

Old 01-10-2015, 13:50   #18

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We're definitely AIS proponents, but not too happy about the proliferation of them as status symbols.

Also, please remember that even class A transponders can experience "glitches", we watched one such incident on a cruise ship just yesterday.

One's watchkeeping practices should include copious use of the mark one eyeball, and using the other tools at one's command. AIS can seduce the unwary into thinking he/she is alone on the ocean when he/she is not.

Ann
Really.. I hadn't realised people were using them as status symbols..

Although I have noticed a bunch of people leave them on even when tied to a dock. Maybe this is what you are referring to, as I can't see any other reason someone would leave it on at the dock.
Old 01-10-2015, 13:52   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I would go even further and say all tankers and cruise ships, or any vessel of any significant size, should be required to be equipped with repeaters and/or storage that automatically uplink that data to a centralized database.

In the open ocean, boats would encounter each other and store/transmit that data regardless of VHF or Radar contact. Then that data would be fed into a central system to assist with search and rescue.
There is already a system in place for a central system of collecting data of ship positions.
Quote:
Long Range Identification and Tracking (LRIT) of ships

LRIT is not part of the GMDSS communication requirements either but its equipment – particularly Inmarsat C or Mini C terminals – can also be used to support the system.
LRIT is the subject of a new SOLAS regulation included in Chapter V which applies to ships constructed after 31 December 2008 with a phased-in implementation time for existing ships. Ships trading exclusively within sea area A1 and fitted with AIS are exempt from LRIT requirements.
The LRIT information that ships are required to transmit include its position and the date and time to contracting governments and administrations.
The LRIT equipment on board ships must interface directly to the ship’s Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) equipment, or have an internal positioning capability.
Regulations require that by default LRIT reports should be transmitted every six hours to the LRIT Data Centre with frequency of transmission to be controlled remotely, allowing for reports to increase as security levels change up to a rate of one report every 15 minutes.
The SOLAS regulation on LRIT establishes a multilateral agreement for sharing LRIT information between SOLAS contracting governments for security and search and rescue purposes. It maintains the right of flag states to protect information about the ships entitled to fly their flag, where appropriate, while allowing coastal states access to information about ships navigating off their coasts.
AIS is also tracked by satellites, so for SAR purposes, things have improved significantly.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 14:10   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I can't see any other reason someone would leave it on at the dock.
Remote monitoring for theft or illicit use?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 14:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
I'm talking about when the owners are onboard. I have seen liveabord boats that have thier AIS on for months. Essentially they never turn it off.
Old 01-10-2015, 14:24   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I'm talking about when the owners are onboard. I have seen liveabord boats that have thier AIS on for months. Essentially they never turn it off.

Yes, mine is never off:
Security.
People entering anchorage,
Keeps wiring dry.
Location of my box makes it difficult for thief/pirate to find it/turn it off
Friends can avoid me
Hot single girls can find me.

Plus is a status symbol: we all stand around the bar comparing our digital strength...
Old 01-10-2015, 14:25   #23

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
I've never left it on for months, but sometimes at night I'll leave it on in an anchorage. Like an anchor light, it advertises our position to other vessels and minimizes chance of collision. Collisions can happen when we're anchored too, after all. Of course, that only works if the other vessel has a receiver and is using it.....
Old 01-10-2015, 14:32   #24

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

AIS is the best thing ever. I used to go up and down chesapeake bay and at night we always played the game of "ya see those lights? What do you suppose that is? Which way is it going?" Now we actually know. Makes it far more relaxing. Not only that, but they see us too. That is REALLY nice.

It is true that fishing boats dont have them or turn them off. So the system isnt 100%. But I am happy to see and be seen by all the big ships. It is a huge improvement over the way it used to be.
Old 01-10-2015, 15:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I've never left it on for months, but sometimes at night I'll leave it on in an anchorage. Like an anchor light, it advertises our position to other vessels and minimizes chance of collision. Collisions can happen when we're anchored too, after all. Of course, that only works if the other vessel has a receiver and is using it.....
This, I understand. My AIS has an anchorage setting and will warn of an impending collision (if the other boat has AIS).

Its just the dock I still don't understand, but each to thier own. Its just annoying in very crowded area!
Old 01-10-2015, 17:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
There is already a system in place for a central system of collecting data of ship positions.

AIS is also tracked by satellites, so for SAR purposes, things have improved significantly.
Do you have any links that explain how satellites track AIS i was under the impression that AIS was a v_h_f requency and I don't see how that's going to communicate with a satellite
Old 01-10-2015, 18:17   #27

Boat: Nauticat 43

AIS is the best thing since affordable radar for recreational vessels. We use ours when underway and when at anchor- announcing our position to anyone who will listen...

It only needs to save you once to off-set the relatively low cost of admission.

In Alaska I often hear a similar question/argument- typically from those new to the state- about buying winter rated tires for their vehicle(s)... I always tell them it is far more expensive not to purchase them... There are situations where one cannot afford to save the money in question...

Risk tolerance is a personal thing...

Cheers!

Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 19:37   #28

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
Our automatically comes on when we are using our instruments or electronics at the dock. For example, when we are tracking wind speeds or general weather info or when we are using our chartplotter to plan a passage.
Old 01-10-2015, 20:14   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm sail View Post
Do you have any links that explain how satellites track AIS i was under the impression that AIS was a v_h_f requency and I don't see how that's going to communicate with a satellite
Yes, the satellites are receiving regular VHF AIS transmissions. Here are a couple of links:
Satellite AIS for vessel tracking - AIS Marine Traffic
http://www.exactearth.com/assets/pdf...fing-S-AIS.pdf

They even pick up Class-B AIS, although not as reliably. For that matter Class-A reception is hardly bulletproof, but it works well enough to be useful.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 20:47   #30

Boat: Hunter 410

We are new to boat ownership having bought our first boat in July. While prepping to move it from Washington to Seward Alaska I had AIS installed. We found it invaluable. The only time it wasn't particularly useful was when we were close to larger communities in range of small go-fast boats. In bad weather they'd come out of nowhere going like they were afire. Almost all the fishing boats we saw had AIS but some didn't have identifying information that displayed on our receiver. Even so it was nice to see where they were. It's a great adjunct to radar.

Tags
ais, cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: