Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 17:44   #1

Boat: Stays'l Schooner, 85ft
Air Conditioning Advice

I can't remember where I saved the info, or who sent it to me, but there is allegedly an AC unit that is self contained, doesn't need a port hole or window, can be attached to a wall or door, no water to add every hour, and is 110v. It's small, only cools a small room or berth. And it was inexpensive. Does anyone have any idea what unit this is? We're spending Oct - Mar/April in Mexico (sailing with the Baja Haha) and have been told "don't leave without an A/C unit" ... anyone have alternative ideas? We have the power to run a small unit, but don't know what to get.

Thanks!
ccrdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:04   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Air conditioning advice

Hey Mike and Dawn, welcome to the forum.
I've not heard of such an animal....the little bit I know about AC units is that they generally need to get rid of the heat they remove from the air...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 15:34   #3

Re: Air Conditioning Advice

Thanks James, for your reply. The only one I've found that might be what I was looking for is similar to these at this link: www.compactapplaince.com

They seem to be along the lines of what I'm looking for anyway. Don't have a clue how they'd hold up on a boat. Anyone ever used one or know of someone that has?

Thanks,
Old 12-06-2011, 15:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrdivers View Post
Thanks James, for your reply. The only one I've found that might be what I was looking for is similar to these at this link: www.compactapplaince.com

They seem to be along the lines of what I'm looking for anyway. Don't have a clue how they'd hold up on a boat. Anyone ever used one or know of someone that has?

Thanks,
Just correcting your link (fat fingers... happens to all of us!):

Ice Makers, Refrigerators, Wine Coolers, Washers, Dryers, Dishwashers, Air Conditioners & More - CompactAppliance.com
Old 12-06-2011, 16:35   #5

Re: Air conditioning advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Hey Mike and Dawn, welcome to the forum.
I've not heard of such an animal....the little bit I know about AC units is that they generally need to get rid of the heat they remove from the air...
Heat has to go somewhere.
The Carrycool fits over a hatch.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 20:43   #6

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

There's a guy in my marina with a C25 like mine, and he has one of the small portable units on board. He has it back by the quarter berth. It takes a chunk out of the starboard settee and a bit of space back there, but it's not too bad and is very effective as long as he's hooked up to shore power. He said the only issue he had was the exhaust...had to be as short and as straight as possible for the unit to work right, but he used a clothes drier tube, routed to the starboard cockpit bulkhead, with a louvered vent cover. The condensation has a catcher in the bottom and it can also drain to the bilge. Depending on humidity, he only empties the catcher once or twice a day.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 21:15   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you are talking about those portable air conditioners, they do need a vent to the outside. I think your best bet is to just install a real marine water cooled unit. I installed mine under the vee berth.
Old 13-06-2011, 04:37   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I have lived on the boat for nnearly 9 years, and some cruising in Miami in August. There have been only a couple of nights I wished for a/c. Wind scoops will do wonders in a breeze when on the hook. A marina is another story, it can be suffocating. I used a wind scoop in June in Puerto Vallarta for my afternoon naps.

The size of your boat you could carry a small window unit, and store it when sailing........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 06:53   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you have access to North American standard electricity 120VAC, 60 cycle either by shore power or genset then you can take advantage of the little window air conditioners sold in Home Depot and other discount stores for as little as $100.
- - You place them over one of your deck hatches and cut or drape some insulating material to seal them. Some folks even make a replacement companionway hatch wash boards that will hold the little air conditioner.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 09:13   #10

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Can you tell us your final decision on this, and how it worked out for you?

Portable air conditioners, though not shown in the pictures, are vented through a flexible duct that can be pushed out through any available hole - but the do need to be vented as previously stated.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 11:11   #11

We ended up with a wonderful stand alone unit that doubles as heater/ac. We used it for a weekend last September and then went to Canada for the winter where we didn't use the unit at all - just smaller space heaters.

We're leaving on July 25th and heading south to Mexico then on for a 7 year circumnavigation - so we'll be more informed in a few months as to the worth of the unit we bought.

Cheers,
Dawn
Old 27-06-2012, 11:22   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Can you tell us your final decision on this, and how it worked out for you?

Portable air conditioners, though not shown in the pictures, are vented through a flexible duct that can be pushed out through any available hole - but the do need to be vented as previously stated.
Those "Flexible Ducts" for the portable (push around) air conditioners can be a pain in the butt. We don't have "windows" on a boat but instead have opening portholes/lights and their shape and location is not conducive to the installation of these flexible 5" vinyl hose ducting.

I had to make an insert that fits between the open porthole and the frame to hold the hose. Not a very satisfactory solution - needs more thinking of how to exhaust hot air from a 5" hose through the cabin wall without letting in rain, etc.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning