Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 16:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahoy Newfoundland Sailors! Let's Meet for a Gam!

Ahoy Newfoundland Sailors! Let's Meet for a Gam!

I am planning on visiting Newfoundland (St. John's and the Southeastern Coast) in the near future, as early as July 2017.

I would enjoy meeting Cruisers Forum members in the area for a cuppa tea or brew and a gam.

If you live there and could answer a few easy questions for me, prior to my trip, please send me a Private Message and introduce yourself.

I am doing what I can to learn the local culture and history (which I find fascinating). I would like to see St. Johns, Trinity Bay, Fortune, and other areas on the Southeastern part of the island. What I have seen online of the coast and fjords so far looks spectacular and very appealing.

I am also watching the weather daily. I noticed it change from 38 degrees Fahrenheit a week or so ago, to 67 (balmy) degrees Fahrenheit the other day. The weather sounds nice and "changeable" like I have seen in Texas and Oklahoma in January.

If you have some general tips you would like to share in public, about sailing or sight seeing in July or August, please do in this thread. If you prefer to communicate off forum, I will be glad to do that too, via a Skype call or email.

In any case, I extend a hand in goodwill and friendship and hope to meet some Newfoundlanders when I am there in the future.

By then I may even be able to properly pronounce "Newfoundland" correctly, after years of pronouncing it wrongly. I'm working on it!

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:40   #2

Boat: beneteau OC 352
Re: Ahoy Newfoundland Sailors! Let's Meet for a Gam!

Good luck with that .. My ex wife's family is from carboneer (small fishing town).. The whole island is like stepping back in time. Super quaint. St Johns I remember the same.. We flew once and drove twice.. Her family was nice.. Everyone else? OMG.. They hate outsiders.. I was driving down a one lane road and a car was coming the opposite so I pull over to let him by, you know how you give someone a little wave as to say "hey, thanks" ? When the guy got right next to me he leans out the window and yells " F#@ you! "..all he knew about me was I'm from the USA.. I was at a bar at a table and another stranger walks up (I look and dress like I'm from NYC) puts his arm around me and asks "do you ever find yourself thinking that another man is attractive? ".. I had had a few so I wasn't bothered, so I reply " the problem is when you're uncomfortable that you think another man is attractive ".. Maybe my experience was unusual, but on all three trips there was a poop show.. The fish and chips were amazing (get the malt vinegar) the bread was incredible, completely different from what I'm used to.. And like I said the scenery is unbelievable.. I'd fuel up, enjoy the great food and keep brass knuckles in your pocket, based on my experience you're likely to be insulted.. It seems as though the entire island had an inferiority complex and had a chip on their shoulders
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 14:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Wow, I had an entirely different experience than Knot Smart in that the Newfies were the nicest, most generous, nice people we ever met! Couldn't get near the road with a gas can and the first car would screech to a halt and offer a ride. We were given more cod, shrimp, and crab than we could eat, and sometimes mackerel and sometimes vegetables and once turkey neck soup. I had people lend and give me charts, hand me money (!!!??) and offer me their cars and washing machines to use. I can only hope Knot Smart's experiences were the exception.
Steady, the coast north of St. John's is a lot less foggy than the south, and is truly a cruiser's paradise. I have many blog posts on my website of our cruise there a couple years ago. PM me if you have specific questions, or I can answer here.
Oh, and get the CCA cruising guide, if you haven't yet.
Old 23-06-2017, 15:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

KNOT SMART,
Thanks for adding your comment.
I got a chuckle from some of your points.

I will be careful. And I will be my usual self.

It is unfortunate whenever travelers experience unfriendly people in a new location they are visiting. I have traveled for years, including visiting and staying in rural and remote areas and visiting as an "outsider" too. It can be a challenge.

I feel fortunate that almost all of my traveling experiences have been good ones, where I met many people, made many new acquaintances, and even made some long lasting and close friendships. That is the goal. Walk softly, and enjoy the local scene.

So, I do thank you for your comments on this topic. And I hope that your next trip there brings you better times, better encounters, and better memories.
Old 23-06-2017, 15:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Wow, I had an entirely different experience than Knot Smart in that the Newfies were the nicest, most generous, nice people we ever met! Couldn't get near the road with a gas can and the first car would screech to a halt and offer a ride. We were given more cod, shrimp, and crab than we could eat, and sometimes mackerel and sometimes vegetables and once turkey neck soup. I had people lend and give me charts, hand me money (!!!??) and offer me their cars and washing machines to use. I can only hope Knot Smart's experiences were the exception.
Steady, the coast north of St. John's is a lot less foggy than the south, and is truly a cruiser's paradise. I have many blog posts on my website of our cruise there a couple years ago. PM me if you have specific questions, or I can answer here.
Oh, and get the CCA cruising guide, if you haven't yet.
Ben,

Thanks for the positive comments and the good tips. We will have the CCA guide which I will study carefully.

I will look for your blog posts too.

Your experience sounds like a very good one, and reminds me of some of the nice people I have met as I traveled some back roads and rural areas.

Fog? I love fog (having lived in San Francisco for years).

I can hardly wait to try some of the local seafood catch. And to see the land from the sea and while walking the land. And to hear the famous Newfoundland accents.
Old 23-06-2017, 16:37   #6

On a positive note I never sailed there.. Only drove.. And the sailing community on a whole does seem to be like one big family.. My experience maybe that of the land and not sea..
Old 23-06-2017, 17:32   #7

Boat: Mirage 35

My St. John's contacts aren't sailors so can't help you with that, but enjoy. I've visited that area a few times and a couple of summers ago drove up the west coast and on to Labrador.

Fascinating places, wonderful people.
Old 23-06-2017, 18:31   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Wow knot smart, you may be the first person I’ve ever heard report this kind of experience in Newfoundland. It’s kinda renown as an obnoxiously friendly and welcomeing place. I can’t imagine why you would have experiences something so opposite to what seems to be the norm. (BTW, what does it mean to dress like you’re from NYC … I have no idea what that would look like).

I’m not from NFLD, although me ol’ fadder was. If you’re wondering down George Street in St. John’s, check out O’Reilly’s Pub. It’s owned by my cousin.

I’m heading to The Rock this season, aiming for Corner Brook. Won’t be there till late August/early Sept. though. If the GAM goes well this year, maybe we could do another one next year. I expect to be there for a few years.
Old 25-06-2017, 07:35   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
My St. John's contacts aren't sailors so can't help you with that, but enjoy. I've visited that area a few times and a couple of summers ago drove up the west coast and on to Labrador.

Fascinating places, wonderful people.
Howdy.

Thanks for adding to the discussion. Someday I would like to see Labrador too. But, Newfoundland has been on my wish list for a long, long time.

I will post some photos when I can.
Old 25-06-2017, 07:39   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Wow knot smart, you may be the first person I’ve ever heard report this kind of experience in Newfoundland. It’s kinda renown as an obnoxiously friendly and welcomeing place. I can’t imagine why you would have experiences something so opposite to what seems to be the norm. (BTW, what does it mean to dress like you’re from NYC … I have no idea what that would look like).

I’m not from NFLD, although me ol’ fadder was. If you’re wondering down George Street in St. John’s, check out O’Reilly’s Pub. It’s owned by my cousin.

I’m heading to The Rock this season, aiming for Corner Brook. Won’t be there till late August/early Sept. though. If the GAM goes well this year, maybe we could do another one next year. I expect to be there for a few years.
Ahoy Mike!
Thanks for adding some more to this discussion.

The mix of cultures and the long sea faring and fishing heritage of Newfoundland is something I hope to learn more about. I am looking forward to meeting local people there, whether or not they are sailors on CF. But, I did hope to meet up with a CF member if possible, simply to share some goodwill.
Old 25-06-2017, 14:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm rather a metro sexual city slicker I guess you would say.. You wouldn't catch me in a camo shirt and engineer boots or a flanel for that matter .. I'm glad to hear that others have had better experiences . Maybe sailors get a better reception considering. I would like to sail there someday .
Old 25-06-2017, 15:49   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

You may wish to join this group & check the FILES for useful links.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

/ Len
Old 25-06-2017, 18:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
You may wish to join this group & check the FILES for useful links.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

/ Len
Len,
Thanks for the tip. I went to the link and asked to join the group. It is a closed group, so I cannot see anything yet.

I also know about the good site you recommended on the forum before. Still, I have a desire to connect with live people now and then, including CF members who are in the area. Visiting small ports is the plan, and that is where I would enjoy seeing the folks who frequent CF and love sailing as I do.
Old 26-06-2017, 04:43   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Massive iceberg on Newfoundland's Southern Shore attracts shutterbugs - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

Old 26-06-2017, 09:31   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

DEBLEN,

Thanks for sharing the links and the local knowledge, and the amusing video. I saw that video a few days ago, and enjoyed it. I like to hear different accents, so looking forward to hearing some Newfoundland accents too.

Tags
sail, newfoundland