Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06   #91

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
So we'll go no more a-roving
so late into the night
though the heart be still as loving
and the moon be still as bright.
Byron
Byron Schmyron:

A rovin', a rovin',
Since rovin's been my ru-i-in,
I'll go no more a roving,
With you fair maid!

The Maid of Amsterdam

Ah Fair Lassie ... always in my thoughts.

And dreams.

Thanks Ann. I know you're correct in general, and as a life strategy, and all that but I'm crabby and prefer to be alone. Had the new boat 8 weeks or so now. Changed marinas once to get away from well-wishing time-wasters, and trying to hang at this one for another week but it's hard as I am so popular! I have no idea why. I am NOT that pleasant to be around. I wonder how boring and desperate one's life has to be to be willing to yammer on and on while I work and oblige them with the occasional "yeah, me too".

Several jobs have been on the edge of my skill range so I hired them out. Had to redo or futz with each job. I'm slow, and I procrastinate, and I drinks a bit too but while I'm not as good at things as the $70/hr pros in the boat yards, I have realized I'm better than the $25/hr guys I know. I've fired two so far. The guy that pays, says.

One guy started bitching about having to drive so far to my boat. It is a 22 mi (34k) RT for him. I figure maybe $5 bucks in gas. He was averaging $150 a day from me plus beers (MANY), and wanted travel time. Ah ... no.

Actually, I want to fire 3. I forgot about the canvas gal who has a day job as a canvas gal. She did a nice job on bimini and sailcover, then fell apart on an awning and curtains. Now she won't answer my calls. I guess that means she fired me but she still owes me for a $30 math error in billing, two curtains, a $100 spool of super thread and a bimini cover. I passed on a dodger for $1000 on my existing frame. Nickel says I can build it myself. I am a member of the sewing group, after all.

Nope, you'd have to pry my mouth open with a winch handle to get me to ask for help. BUT I FEEL A LITTLE BETTER NOW!

Thank you.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:25   #92
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

crabby...she prolly got laid and forgot about ye..
as for his bitching about having to go so far to YOUR boat..was he crew???ye didnt have him rebuild head yet did ye--sounds like a grande job for him as you do something waaaay far away.....yet close enough to know when he screws up or tries to inadvertently sink your boat....

you are waaaayyyy toooo n i c e .......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 14:47   #93

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
So we'll go no more a-roving
so late into the night
though the heart be still as loving
and the moon be still as bright.
Byron
Yea.

Dang!
Old 07-10-2013, 14:51   #94
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

I know several older sailors who have bought a trawler in the last year and one couple who will probably be taking that step (if everything checks out) in the next two weeks.

Anyone ever use a "winch buddy?" It occurred to me that it might have to be used pretty carefully because there might be some mechanical reason the sail shouldn't be going up.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:13   #95

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well re the Tri... multihull idea..
I'm on a delivery of a Lagoon 380 right now and the totally different sharper motion has got me achy and feeling a bit stiff..
Let you know if it wears off after the 750 mile leg from Fig da Foz to San Sebastian in the Canaries starting later today. ----
Hi boatman -
When my ex and I first took delivery of her cat, we departed Massachusetts to the Chesapeake via Block Island. After 2-3 days my worst knee was killing me. I couldn't figure out why until it occurred to me that I was spending a lot more time standing up underway than I ever did on a monohull.
I got over it lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 15:32   #96

Boat: too many

Yeah boatman, sit down and enjoy the cat. lol
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:32   #97

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I had to Google the Zimmer frame (sounded like a folding bike) ... very funny, Cap.

I don't want things to get too easy. A mastclimber is way cheaper than a younger woman.
But a younger woman can do so much more!
Old 07-10-2013, 15:39   #98

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
But a younger woman can do so much more!
Prepare for thread drift. On the topic of a younger woman, why isn't the Philippines with their 7200 islands, $2.22 lb T-bone, $250 a month apartments, and a large population of younger women looking for older guys, not a aging single male cruiser's destination of choice????
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 17:25   #99

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I think that this sums up my attitude to being an aging yottie:

Cheers,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elder's lament.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	68325  
Old 07-10-2013, 17:30   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

no one told me i would look inda mirror and suddenly look like great grandmother....but, then why dont i FEEL old...rodlmao....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 17:55   #101
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
no one told me i would look inda mirror and suddenly look like great grandmother....but, then why dont i FEEL old...rodlmao....

I really think living aboard helps keep you young. You really can't be a couch potato and live on a boat, even in a marina.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:32   #102

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
We leave all the drop boards in intentionally so that we are forced to climb down through the sliding hatch opening. Friends say we look like we are going down a rabbit hole but it helps keep you flexible. Like built in yoga.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:56   #103

Quote:
crabby...she prolly got laid and forgot about ye..
as for his bitching about having to go so far to YOUR boat..was he crew???ye didnt have him rebuild head yet did ye--sounds like a grande job for him as you do something waaaay far away.....yet close enough to know when he screws up or tries to inadvertently sink your boat....

you are waaaayyyy toooo n i c e .......
Heh heh. I did have him remove my old head. I was up in the clubhouse with the beer and babes. Ok, Ok... there was only one babe and she wasn't with me.

A couple of folks here have mentioned the physicality of it all. I think that is good for us oldsters. The taller steps referred to are good IMO. We have to keep moving, stretching ... working. My new lifelines won't have a gate. I want to have to step over.

The mast climber deal mentioned uses leg muscles. I've still got those. The six part tackle Mrs. Cate mentioned might be OK. I've used those in the past (distant past). Mast steps would be the easiest to climb, and I don't mind the windage much but they sure are ugly. Boats are not supposed to be ugly.

There was a ~35 Cabo Rico here the other day for fuel. The usual olderish couple: He was, she was 50 something. The boat had everything plus folding mast steps. Nice. The skipper really knew how to drive the boat. A pleasure to watch. The gal was a little tentative. Another 1000 miles will cure that.

Edit: I sure like the drop boards in idea, Doodles. I'd been thinking of swinging sections but why not keep it simple? Good one.
Old 07-10-2013, 19:13   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Prepare for thread drift. On the topic of a younger woman, why isn't the Philippines with their 7200 islands, $2.22 lb T-bone, $250 a month apartments, and a large population of younger women looking for older guys, not a aging single male cruiser's destination of choice????
Last I heard Captain Daddle was there. That probably takes out most of the eager younger women. But as the song says: "The sadder but wiser girl for me."

The 7500 mile sail is somewhat inconvenient too.
Old 07-10-2013, 20:48   #105
cruiser

Quote:
we can be wise and scared and stay home or we can be silly old fools and keep going....
personally,i prefer not to quit, or give up. i will leave marks on anyone trying to get me to sit down on land too long. tried it and didnt like it at all.

and dont even try to make me make plans in advance.

Stay on your boat and be safe -- 'cuz most accidents happen in the home! Really -- if you can't do something the way you used to -- figure out another way to do it.

Supposedly Hunter C. Thompson said this. I don't know who he is/was but I like him.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Tags
cruise, cruiser