Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 13:58   #181

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Have you older sailors thought about a trawler? Many older sailors have been drawn to the bright side of a trawler. A trawler in many ways is like a sail but has more living and window space. I converted mast and boom winches to electric. Push a button for up or down. Even my wife can do that. My wife will occasionally take the helm if the boat is on auto pilot and not boats around. I can single hand our 58 ft trawler as it has a bow thruster. My wife just stand on the front deck telling wm what to do, which is what she normal does anyway. Telling me what to do that is!

We both are 65, and plan on retiring next year. We bough the Eagle 18 years ago, and live on her for 16 years, which many have been a little to early as we have done the local cruising with in a couple hundred miles, so next we may venture further north. The Eagle is set up as a long range trawler, 2000+ miles. So if sailing is a pain in your back/groin look at a trawler.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 15:05   #182
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefloat View Post

Totally ! There was a time when a man & a boy would sail a pilot cutter. Don't let the mate know about this .....lol, handy Billy's rule !!
Yes for at most a day to 36 hours. They didn't stay out for weeks in them

Dace
Old 30-10-2013, 10:41   #183

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Have you older sailors thought about a trawler? Many older sailors have been drawn to the bright side of a trawler. A trawler in many ways is like a sail but has more living and window space. I converted mast and boom winches to electric. Push a button for up or down. Even my wife can do that. My wife will occasionally take the helm if the boat is on auto pilot and not boats around. I can single hand our 58 ft trawler as it has a bow thruster. My wife just stand on the front deck telling wm what to do, which is what she normal does anyway. Telling me what to do that is!

We both are 65, and plan on retiring next year. We bough the Eagle 18 years ago, and live on her for 16 years, which many have been a little to early as we have done the local cruising with in a couple hundred miles, so next we may venture further north. The Eagle is set up as a long range trawler, 2000+ miles. So if sailing is a pain in your back/groin look at a trawler.
GPH comes to mind for non sail boats and price/gallon.
As for age I'm 67 going on 68 with more things wrong than right. LOL For me I need to wake to a challenge. Something to work towards, a reason to get up. Without that why bother.
Pain is relative. When it's always there you get used to it.
Do what you love and then die.
Old 01-11-2013, 13:23   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

A trawler as a solution for aging cruisers? .... maybe not. I don't need more space because I'm older. My sailboat has a lower freeboard than most trawlers. I can see all of the perimeter of my boat from the helm which is rare on most trawlers. I can motor, motor-sail or sail in the conditions that I choose. I do have five steps from my cabin to the cockpit, but nothing else. Maybe these steps are the only challenge, but most trawlers, not all, have this number of steps.
Old 01-11-2013, 13:35   #185

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Pain is a real bugger, sometimes it can stop you from doing stuff. But the problem is, especially if it's from arthritis, you will have it on land, too. It won't go away. So then the question becomes, how can I best live with this? and get what I want out of life? It can be an extremely individual solution to the problem.

Ann
Old 01-11-2013, 15:13   #186

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
A trawler as a solution for aging cruisers? .... maybe not. I don't need more space because I'm older. My sailboat has a lower freeboard than most trawlers. I can see all of the perimeter of my boat from the helm which is rare on most trawlers. I can motor, motor-sail or sail in the conditions that I choose. I do have five steps from my cabin to the cockpit, but nothing else. Maybe these steps are the only challenge, but most trawlers, not all, have this number of steps.
we went to a trawler for home comforts as liveaboards, but have gone back to sail as I had a stroke, we moved ashore sold the trawler and bought another sailboat (been sail boating for over 50 years prior to the trawler. I loved our Trawler but had little real time cruising in it before my stroke, after which my wife said it was too big for casual/vacational use when we no longer lived full timeaboard. a 47ft 15-20 ton trawler is OK but does not respond well to manual force when docking and undocking and it has considerable windage too compared to a sailboat that will respond to a push/shove, has lower windage with sails down and has a keel under the water too to resist sideways drift. OK single engine v twins applies with or without a bow thruster, but planning and practice and a low freeboard all help with docking especially as we use a single centre springline with a measured line/loop system to aid docking. This line once 'on' allows us to keep the boat in place on the one line with the engine in tickover ahead and rudder angled to keep us alongside. so we then have plenty of relaxed time to put on the other lines. we do have a set of 3 steps in our homre slip dock to make getting on and off easier, we could reverse in and get on/off via the wim platform as we did on the trawler, but I generally prefer bows in and dinghy/davits out. Our new bimini & dodger framework setup also has extra grab handrails fitted on both sides and rear of dodger to assist getting into and out of the centre cockpit from the deck even if the boat is moving around a bit maybe as they do.

The other concession I made in going back (or forwards again) to sail was to buy a sailboat this time round that is fitted with in-mast furling mainsail (my first such),as well as the more normal roller reefing/furling headsail, a system which we had used for nearly 20 years on our previous boat. Despite being more performance orientated in my previous sailboats preferring fully battened high tech mainsails with slab reefing and lazyjacks/stakpaks, the idea of pull string sail control from the cockpit appeals more for an easier life. I may regret the loss of light wind performance but hey life is full of compromises and diesel is cheap enough for calm days
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 16:56   #187

Boat: Alpha 42 #3

My orthopod told us that folks who do stuff they love forget about frailties and ailments and actually improve their health. Why do I have an orthopod? Damaged my hip 5 years ago (then age 66) in a x-country skiing accident on a steep un-groomed trail. That followed years of falls downhill skiing and learning to jump a big Thoroughbred starting at age 45. (No smart remarks, please.) Hip will be replaced this winter so we can start serious cruising this spring (his goal is Oz) on the new 42' cat. We're trying to sell the 40 footer we've had five years. Just gotta keep on keeping on.
cruisingkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:32   #188
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

For a while, 10 years or so, I've been developing some weird inflammation symptoms, kinda cross between gout and arthritis. Docs have been no help.

Over last cruise symptoms diminished. Long story short, finally figured I have developed an alloy to MSG. now that I can isolate it, it is real obvious.

But it took staying off prepared foods for overs month to clear up my system do that I then found out the cause, by accident really.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:46   #189

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

You all have made my day,there was snow on the ground this am, as I had a competetive
game off pickup sticks with my granddaughter off course she won ,but so did I.
I forgot to worry about going home to Parry Sound load the rebuilt engine (3HM35) on the truck,with my wife who is on the mend from a stroke that left her with out feeling in her left side. the boat is on the hard in FL and my 73year ol.d bod will go on nigthwatches, swim in the gulfstream till my metal knee rusts
Thanks I dont worry anymore
Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09   #190

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkrol View Post
My orthopod told us that folks who do stuff they love forget about frailties and ailments and actually improve their health. ... Just gotta keep on keeping on.
I like Ms Dickenson's, "Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me ... ."

At the very least we ought to make Death come looking for us.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser