Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08   #166

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
By "up mast hauling" do you mean "hauling someone up the mast?" My "boat guy" is half monkey and after he stopped laughing he'd tell me to put it away anyway, but ... good to know.

I completely agree about the excellent physical workout winches can give you, but right now it's verboten because of my back. I have work-arounds for everything else, including getting the anchor up without a windlass, so I'm exstatic. I suspect I'm also a poor speller at the moment ...
Yes - thats exactly what i mean

Hauling someone up the mast

CS
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10   #167

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Taking the "Flames" shopping at Sears. Buying her replacement Craftsman body parts replacing all her worn out/aching parts; Craftsman is guaranteed for life. That should do it, Raku; forever young. Take care!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10   #168

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
As we age, you would want to check with your physician about taking an aspirin daily; 81 mg low dose. Some folks cannot take aspirin because of their medical condition. Other folks who are on blood thinners, are "usually" not allowed to take aspirin. Excessive aspirin usage will result in intestinal hemorrhage; do not take more than recommended. Having said that, if approved by your physician and taken as recommended, an aspirin a day will lower the risk of clotting that can result in a stroke. The flip side of the coin, if you hemorrhage it will take a while to clot. Get a physician's advice and do not experiment on your own. Everything in life is a trade-off!

Mauritz
Pharmacy - Board Certified
I take a lowish dose (4mg) of Warfarin blood thinner daily with INR labtest monitoring on a monthly basis plus a daily 'baby' aspirin as well as I was advised to do by my neurologist.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:11   #169
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Taking the "Flames" shopping at Sears. Buying her replacement Craftsman body parts replacing all her worn out/aching parts; Craftsman is guaranteed for life. That should do it, Raku; forever young. Take care!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!

D'oh!!! Why didn't I think of that!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:16   #170

Hi Robin! That is the standard of care/treatment given to your situation by your doctor, with emphasis on the monthly test; excellent recommendation. Take care!

Mauritz
Old 17-10-2013, 20:58   #171

Boat: Maine Cat 30

"Man plans, God laughs".

I have just hit my 60s and retirement. My plans is to finish a house remodel by this summer and sail the Med. then we will hit the Caribbean next winter I have always dreamed of this. Fortunately I have a wife who is eager to share that dream. I am, however, a realist and know that we can only plan well and hope for the best.

I hope to see some of you "old codgers" out there on the Bounding Main!
12BCruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 21:50   #172

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter
Smile Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12BCruzn View Post
"Man plans, God laughs".

I have just hit my 60s and retirement. My plans is to finish a house remodel by this summer and sail the Med. then we will hit the Caribbean next winter I have always dreamed of this. Fortunately I have a wife who is eager to share that dream. I am, however, a realist and know that we can only plan well and hope for the best.

I hope to see some of you "old codgers" out there on the Bounding Main!
Totally ! There was a time when a man & a boy would sail a pilot cutter. Don't let the mate know about this .....lol, handy Billy's rule !!
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 21:59   #173

Boat: too many

12BCruzn, welcome to CF, home of the baby boomer cruisers. Hope to see you out there too.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 16:11   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
12BCruzn, welcome to CF, home of the baby boomer cruisers. Hope to see you out there too.
Thanks officer! I hope we don't drive up the prices on boats too much (massive numbers of boomers retiring and buying boats at the same time)!
Old 23-10-2013, 18:53   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I'm going on 63 next month. I've been arguing retirement with the Wife for years. She just agreed to cut back to three days a week, Wednesday to Wednesday, which will leave us Thursday till Tuesday to muck around. I'm already working part time and cleared this schedule with the Work boss.

I'm working to clean up the little boat (33) and have her back in the water by April. Blast and paint bottom, new shrouds, mast wiring. Remove engine, paint underneath, replace. I MAY turn the hollow keel voids into additional fuel tanks cum double bottom. Lots to do.

But then start cruising the Chesapeake. Leave the boat somewhere around Crisfield and drive down. See how it goes. We've never really done any cruising, but I've sure moved them around a bunch. The Wife's been kinda warming up to the smaller boat, she is less intimidated, although she iwas the one that wanted a "comfortable" boat. Hence the big boat.

The big one (44) will stay at the marina for now. We still use it as our weekend cabin.

With luck she will continue to morph into a boat person and we will eventually take the big un somewhere interesting. The other night she mentioned a fantasy of going to see her sister in Germany via boat. But in that case I think I'd do the transit and she would fly. But that's OK, I can do that.

Now, if I just find a way to deal with this damn arthritis!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 19:25   #176

Quote:
As we age, you would want to check with your physician about taking an aspirin daily; 81 mg low dose. Some folks cannot take aspirin because of their medical condition. Other folks who are on blood thinners, are "usually" not allowed to take aspirin. Excessive aspirin usage will result in intestinal hemorrhage; do not take more than recommended. Having said that, if approved by your physician and taken as recommended, an aspirin a day will lower the risk of clotting that can result in a stroke. The flip side of the coin, if you hemorrhage it will take a while to clot. Get a physician's advice and do not experiment on your own. Everything in life is a trade-off!

Mauritz
As a recently retired board certified Emergency Medicine physician I can echo your sentiment, said in so many words, that aspirin is a two edged sword. Whenever we would see an elderly (over 70ish, but no hard and fast rule) with a head injury we would get a CT scan if they were on aspirin, unless the injury was very minor. Although certainly not as bad as warfarin (coumadin) or pradaxa, there was a measurable increase in brain bleeds in such folks, hence the fear of missing a slow bleed in an otherwise asymptomatic patient.

Heck, the more I think of it, the more the idea of old salts wearing a helmet while underway becomes a good one.
12BCruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:03   #177

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I'm going on 63 next month. I've been arguing retirement with the Wife for years. She just agreed to cut back to three days a week, Wednesday to Wednesday, which will leave us Thursday till Tuesday to muck around. I'm already working part time and cleared this schedule with the Work boss. I'm working to clean up the little boat (33) and have her back in the water by April. Blast and paint bottom, new shrouds, mast wiring. Remove engine, paint underneath, replace. I MAY turn the hollow keel voids into additional fuel tanks cum double bottom. Lots to do. But then start cruising the Chesapeake. Leave the boat somewhere around Crisfield and drive down. See how it goes. We've never really done any cruising, but I've sure moved them around a bunch. The Wife's been kinda warming up to the smaller boat, she is less intimidated, although she iwas the one that wanted a "comfortable" boat. Hence the big boat. The big one (44) will stay at the marina for now. We still use it as our weekend cabin. With luck she will continue to morph into a boat person and we will eventually take the big un somewhere interesting. The other night she mentioned a fantasy of going to see her sister in Germany via boat. But in that case I think I'd do the transit and she would fly. But that's OK, I can do that. Now, if I just find a way to deal with this damn arthritis!
I am assuming you refer to osteoarthritis. You might want to ask you physician about OsteoBiflex. It was recommended by ours and has helped quite a bit. It is OTC.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 09:31   #178

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

It was reading postings like these and seeing relatively new boats for sale due to illness that prompted us to sell the house and quit jobs in 2011 (was 58 then). I ended up hurting my shoulder carrying jugs of fuel and hauling the anchor. We are back on shore for 2 more years until 62 when we will try again with a larger, more comfortable boat, not try to save a couple $$ hauling fuel and new boat has a windlass. Every morning I listen to older co-workers with medical ailments and I wonder if they will even make it to retirement, nevermind actually enjoying it.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 09:42   #179

Hiya Ed! Consider purchasing a boat similar to Beneteau's Oceanis (30/40/50 footer); Google their website. Look at the stern's design...it has a platform that you can lower/raise. It will make your life so much easier during provisioning, snorkeling/diving with tanks, barbecuing and if necessary refueling by hand. Long gone the days when you had to hand over everything you bought ashore, to someone on board. (Disclaimer: Not affiliated to Beneteau in any capacity.) Take care!

Mauritz
Simplicity and elegance through engineering.
Old 24-10-2013, 12:35   #180

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post

we will try again with a larger, more comfortable boat
reading your post beware bigger boat is higher loads all other things equal more likely strain/injury

have you considered smaller jerry cans ?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser