Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 20:10   #31

Quote:
rum sometimes happens in coffee and cocoa
Rubbish! This "cocoa and coffee" stuff will only take up valuable rum space!
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 20:13   #32
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
oh no.... on our little hole in the water coffee and rum and cocoa and rum are a salubrious pairing! wouldn't want to forgo any of em!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 20:41   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Here's the scenario.

You've been sailing for a few days. You limp into a nice little cove to drop anchor. You drop the danforth and back a little to get a bite. You then drop another off the bow just to be sure.
What do you do next? This or ? Just kidding !
What are the top five or six things you do to get your boat squared away. Also give me a list of five of the top cleaners, waxes, and polishers you carry.
I am new to sailing and your input in very valuable to me.
1. Back down some more to make sure the anchors (Bruce and CQR, not danforth or Fortress for me) are set. If so, put the snubber on the all chain rode.
2. Put sail covers on, tidy up boat, do log, keeping an eye on the swing of the boat.
3. If I'm happy with 1&2, I set the anchor watch on the GPS.
4. Keep an eye on the swing and make sure the GPS is matching what I see.
5. Put on the snorkel gear, check the water beneath the boat for hard stuff, give the bottom a good look, then dive the anchors, making sure they are really set.
6. Back on board, check the GPS and my reference points for any drag, take a well deserved shower, then settle in.
Old 28-05-2010, 05:09   #34

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
1. Back down some more to make sure the anchors (Bruce and CQR, not danforth or Fortress for me) are set. If so, put the snubber on the all chain rode.
2. Put sail covers on, tidy up boat, do log, keeping an eye on the swing of the boat.
3. If I'm happy with 1&2, I set the anchor watch on the GPS.
4. Keep an eye on the swing and make sure the GPS is matching what I see.
5. Put on the snorkel gear, check the water beneath the boat for hard stuff, give the bottom a good look, then dive the anchors, making sure they are really set.
6. Back on board, check the GPS and my reference points for any drag, take a well deserved shower, then settle in.
Thank you captain good things to know.
What are the cleaners you use most when tidying up your boat?
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 05:32   #35

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Back down hard, put on snubber, take a good look round to make sure we have swinging room and that transits are staying where they should.

Set GPS alarm and write down (to 3 decimal places) the lat and long of where RG is when at rest on her chain in the conditions. (ie this morning we came in and the ight breeze changed as we backed down hard, so we ended up pretty close to the anchor anyway - and now it's blowing a strong F4 and we're in a different place but still v secure).

Maximise power by scandalising mizzen boom and moving flexible solars

Tidy up - in particular put on sail covers

Cup of tea/whisky/beer/coke etc as wanted plus something to eat.

After that - depends on length and quality of passage, time of day, interest inwhat's ashore, exhaustion etc.

Cleaners - mostly are standard automative and domestic cleaners - you can spend a fortune at boat shows and they often don't do better in the end. But you need strong versions of stain and grease removers for your clothes and skin. Oxalic acid is great at fit-out time.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 07:08   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Rubbish! This "cocoa and coffee" stuff will only take up valuable rum space!
No way mate... coffee in the cup... Brandy/Rum in a glass... good for the biceps.. right arm flex to mouth with coffee... left arm flex to mouth with Brandy...
As to tidy up... by the time I drop the hook the genoa's furled and lines are tidy in cockpit... drop hook on the move under main... while the boat swings round to set drop main into Stac-Pac... fit snuber and remove whistling kettle of stove.. pour into press, pour brandy into glass, press and pour coffee... retire to cockpit and sit sipping while eyeballing suitable shoreside points to triangulate and memorise for 'signs of drag'.
If entering under motor.. everythings tidy by the time the hooks dropped.. my mate Biggles tends the helm.. I just have to push a button now and then...lol

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 07:26   #37
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Thank you captain good things to know.
What are the cleaners you use most when tidying up your boat?
"Tidying up" also means putting the binoculars away, any chart/chartlet/guide I used to get to the anchorage, my mug o liquid, coiling the lines, centering the boom, putting the handheld VHF away, and making the cockpit and cabin more presentable.

I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle to remove any salt residue and clean up the inside surfaces, and exterior metal, winches, windlass, and rigging. Some folks like Murphy's oil soap but I think there are a lot more uses for white vinegar on board than Murphy's - and space I is something I don't have a surplus of.

For the engine room I use H-7 for most everything. It's a very good degreaser, cleaner, and is kind on the environment. For rust or stains I use Wink which although designed for rust removal, seems to remove harder stains with no damage to the hull and deck.

The other cleaner is bleach. I use it to remove possible contaminants to veggies and fruits before storing them. A diluted bit in the toilet (along with either some cooking oil or bacon grease) seems to help keep things working.

My other cleaner of choice is Joy detergent. It seems to work as well in salt as well as fresh water.

I'll wipe down the hatches and ports with a spray bottle of fresh water.

The main reason for tidying up is to get the feel of the boat on the hook(s), do a walk around checking for any new problems, and giving the boat a general look-see.
Old 28-05-2010, 07:46   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
"Tidying up" also means putting the binoculars away, any chart/chartlet/guide I used to get to the anchorage, my mug o liquid, coiling the lines, centering the boom, putting the handheld VHF away, and making the cockpit and cabin more presentable.

I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle to remove any salt residue and clean up the inside surfaces, and exterior metal, winches, windlass, and rigging. Some folks like Murphy's oil soap but I think there are a lot more uses for white vinegar on board than Murphy's - and space I is something I don't have a surplus of.

For the engine room I use H-7 for most everything. It's a very good degreaser, cleaner, and is kind on the environment. For rust or stains I use Wink which although designed for rust removal, seems to remove harder stains with no damage to the hull and deck.

The other cleaner is bleach. I use it to remove possible contaminants to veggies and fruits before storing them. A diluted bit in the toilet (along with either some cooking oil or bacon grease) seems to help keep things working.

My other cleaner of choice is Joy detergent. It seems to work as well in salt as well as fresh water.

I'll wipe down the hatches and ports with a spray bottle of fresh water.

The main reason for tidying up is to get the feel of the boat on the hook(s), do a walk around checking for any new problems, and giving the boat a general look-see.
Thanks all
I thought bleach would have been a first cleaner for a lot more people as I have been told it is necessity on a boat for mold and mildew alone. Not to mention potable water.
I was thinking however that a lot of household cleaners work just as well as anything bought at the marina. Great ideas many thanks.
Old 28-05-2010, 08:02   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I use vinegar for mold and mildew. Works a charm.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 08:08   #40
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Yes, white vinegar. Stay away from the chlorine bleach.
Old 28-05-2010, 08:27   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
after dropping the hook I spend a few minutes with the log, finishing any notations from the trip, and describing holding ground, depth and scope. Then I attend to the energy system, powering down radar and such, powering up wind generator, making sure the solar panels are not being shaded by the boom, setting out the sun shower. After that, it's usually time to attend to shade, such as setting up the dodger/bimini transition.

Then I ring the ship's bell to signal that drinking may commence. It's usually at that point that my wife reminds me that I've once again forgotten to set the snubber.
Old 28-05-2010, 09:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
after dropping the hook I spend a few minutes with the log, finishing any notations from the trip, and describing holding ground, depth and scope. Then I attend to the energy system, powering down radar and such, powering up wind generator, making sure the solar panels are not being shaded by the boom, setting out the sun shower. After that, it's usually time to attend to shade, such as setting up the dodger/bimini transition.

Then I ring the ship's bell to signal that drinking may commence. It's usually at that point that my wife reminds me that I've once again forgotten to set the snubber.
I notice some of you keep a log. What do you write in it? Mechanics of the trip, or personal observations or both?
Old 28-05-2010, 09:12   #43

Boat: Currently boatless
Salt water for the teak in the cockpit
IMAR Yacht soap for anything else (if we are washing on the hook...which we wouldn't be)
Simple Green diluted 1:10 for everything inside except food stuff
Dish soap
And finally, you can use Dr Bronners Peppermint Castille soap for your stinky self head to toe

Done in 5!
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 10:56   #44

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
I notice some of you keep a log. What do you write in it? Mechanics of the trip, or personal observations or both?
Generally by watch, record time, sea state, wind, general weather observations, course, speed, position, distance logged since last recording (at noon I usually record the total distance along my mean course for the last 24 hours); during the evening watch I record the time the lights were set for night time navigation, and during the morning watch the time the lights were dowsed and any appropriate day shapes hoisted. Other observations such as equipment casualties, amount of sail set, other vessels sighted, and any important radio messages are useful to record as well. After those entries, anything of personal or professional interest.
Old 28-05-2010, 11:13   #45
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Then I ring the ship's bell to signal that drinking may commence.
I better get a bell!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote