Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2010, 23:38   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
My boat lists to port everytime I fill her with water. I list from port. Sometimes I lisp from port. Loose lips lisp lists. Must be time for bed.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 05:15   #17

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
The way my adventures go, is something like this. Drop hook in the same dead calm that I ghosted in under because my motor died. Don't bother getting it to set. Let fly halyards, flake main and put a couple ties around it, go below and fall asleep. Wake up hours later and realize that wind is beating sails to death, boat is aground, rain has been falling in companionway hatch for at least an hour and your jacket is soaking wet in the cockpit.

Actually that's not how it is, anymore.

And people wonder why I am so particular about getting her squared away nicely.

My real process is this: drop hook, sail around on it until you are sure you have a good set, avoid using the engine at all costs. Now drop the headsail and mainsail, flake the main, bag it, flake the headsail, bag it, organize lines, organize the cockpit, put in the boards and catch some zzzzs. Usually set an anchor watch every 3 hours. Just to watch tide, other boats, and the set.

One time that anchor watch really paid off as I pulled in the rode with nary a foot of water under the keel.
Now thats what Im lookin for. What about cleaners,waxes polishesetc...
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 05:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've noticed when some boats come in.. they drop the hook then the wife trots off down below while the skipper stalks forward, grabs the forestay.. places one foot one the cable and stares furiously in the general direction of the anchor for twenty minutes... paces back down to the cockpit... leans down the hatch and says something then stalks forward again where he stands astride the cable with fists on hips in a challenging manner... slowly swiveling his head from left to right..
Ten minutes of this and then the tidy up commences.. interspersed with a casually quick walk forward.. an hour later they settle in the cockpit...
No, no...this is a clever work-avoidance maneuver. The "tidy up" actually commenced as soon as the wife headed below. All the posturing and staring allow Skipper, as he walks back & leans down the hatch, to tell his wife that "I'm making sure the anchor is set, I'll be right there!" -- while managing to avoid actually doing a hefty chunk of the tidying. By the time he decides everything is all good and joins her, the worst of it is over and just a few odds & ends left to put away! Genius, really.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 05:34   #19

From the stink pot side. Back down on the anchor hard, if the 1/2 " all chain rode doesn't come up like a wedding night d--k you aren't doing it right. Set range on gps anchor alarm. Brave the hot eng room and do tomorrow's fluid checks , in case mother nature makes you move tonight. After a few minutes in the sweat box, that cold beer is your reward for a job well done.
Old 27-05-2010, 05:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
No, no...this is a clever work-avoidance maneuver. The "tidy up" actually commenced as soon as the wife headed below. All the posturing and staring allow Skipper, as he walks back & leans down the hatch, to tell his wife that "I'm making sure the anchor is set, I'll be right there!" -- while managing to avoid actually doing a hefty chunk of the tidying. By the time he decides everything is all good and joins her, the worst of it is over and just a few odds & ends left to put away! Genius, really.
And your point isssssssss?????
Old 27-05-2010, 06:25   #21

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Even if it's 9 in the morning?
Cant drink all day if you dont start in the morning!

Personally, after setting anchor and prior to straightening up, I would jump in the water and go for a swim to wash off any lingering particle remains of civilization.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 07:57   #22

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Before I do anything else, I save the approach track on the chart plotter. Then the pilot house and the deck gets squared away, mainly checking that the anchor and snubber is set properly. A final engine room check, then a long cold drink. No cleaning or polishing until we've had at least 24hrs of doing nothing except swimming, eating, drinking and laughing, plus sleeping as long as you want without watch keeping.

P
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 08:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
And your point isssssssss?????
We've got you figured out !

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 27-05-2010, 08:18   #24

Take your time anchoring. Cruise around the anchorage, check the depths to the limit of the scope you are going to let out. Only one anchor unless there is a particular reason for more ie current or extremely high winds.

Once we have dropped the anchor we set it HARD and then sit and wait a good 15-20 minutes and let things settle. If we are in any doubt about the hold we will do it all again. Those extra minutes can mean a much better nights sleep!Note the position on the gps in case of later problems.

Whilst I make a cup of tea or fix a drink, depending on the time of day our first priority is to square the boat away. I was told early in my sailing career that the first thing you do on arrival is prepare to leave...a golden piece of advice.

I will plot the way out and write down a heading in case of a forced exit in the small hours of the night.

We put the sail cover on if staying more than one night, tidy lines, switch off instruments and then relax.

As to cleaning stuffs I love oxyclene, great for washing clothes etc in limited amounts of water, a good soaking and away with the stains! Murphys wod soap for a gentle wash of the teak decks. Plenty of detergent to mop up any fuel spills on the deck when decanting gas for the dinghy.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 18:07   #25

Thank you Annk. A lot of good info there. I would not have thought the first thing to do is figure out how to leave in a hurry or at night. That's a good piece of advice.
The cleaners are pretty much everyday things in the grocery store. I would have thought there would be more to it then that. But informative still the same.
Old 27-05-2010, 18:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
We've got you figured out !

P.
No you only think you have...
Old 27-05-2010, 18:31   #27

Being prepared to leave is why I always record the approach track on the chart ploter. If you have a difficult pass or channel to go through in the middle of the night, with poor or absent bouyage, the reverse route is a life saver.

P.
Old 27-05-2010, 18:34   #28

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
I always make it a practice to dive on the anchor when possible. It helps me sleep better and makes that cup of coffee even more welcome.
Old 27-05-2010, 18:39   #29

Boat: a sailing boat
We set the anchor(s) then clean up the mess, if any - me the deck and sails, engine, whatever, my first mate down below. Then we will put the kettle on or make some pasta or both.

Later, I will often linger in the cockpit just soaking the new scenery and enjoying the fact that I have a full night´s sleep ahead. My mate will rather sit on the deck wrapped in a warm blanket, sipping her faves and shouting out her orders - more Martini, more ice, more lime, etc..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 19:50   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
The way my adventures go, is something like this. Drop hook in the same dead calm that I ghosted in under
My real process is this: drop hook, sail around on it until you are sure you have a good set, avoid using the engine at all costs. Now drop the headsail and mainsail, flake the main, bag it, flake the headsail, bag it, organize lines, organize the cockpit, put in the boards and catch some zzzzs. Usually set an anchor watch every 3 hours. Just to watch tide, other boats, and the set.

One time that anchor watch really paid off as I pulled in the rode with nary a foot of water under the keel.
Tager, if you really use this practice, please don't anchor upwind of us! It's all very well to pontificate about not using the engine at all costs, but if you have ghosted in in a dead calm, there is NO WAY that you can ascertain that the anchor is indeed well set without it. No wonder you need to stand anchor watches...

Please, if you are gonna anchor upwind of me, grit your teeth, start up the donk and pull HARD on the anchor for a minute of two (not just a little jerk as is so often done). If it doesn't then move, you can probably skip the anchor watch, and so can I!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz