Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 23:29   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
After Matthew

You can’t bloody-well win with this boating game, can you!
After five years I thought I had more or less come to the end of my sentence and I might be let out. But yesterday we returned to the old tub after evacuating from Westland Marina. Titusville, FL because of Matthew.
With all the lines doubled to a total of 16 I still found the pulpit smashed, dolphin striker missing and both toe rails damaged because she rubbed on the dock. It’s only wood, so I can repair it, but I’m getting a bit disheartened….
At least it isn’t as bad as these boats on the hard, which I photographed yesterday, October 7 2016 (I obliterated the names, just for privacy). One fell over, broke the mast of the next, which smashed the boom of the third—and they are all nicely looked after boats as well—not like some of the wrecks in here which really should be smashed up.
And my wife thought is would be a good idea to lift her and prop her up on the soft sand floor of this place??
How will they sort that one out I wonder, between the marina and three insurances, assuming they all have it that is.
Old 07-10-2016, 23:54   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: After Matthew

Jolly Roger,

Condolences for your boat's injures, but you're a fortunate man who has the wherewithal to dig back down, and fix her up. Those poor guys on the hard sure had it hard, didn't they, glad you were not among them. Feel your pain, then get on with it, you've little choice, really, if you want your boat the way you want it, and you want to use it. You were fortunate, you have the necessary skills already.

Ann
Old 08-10-2016, 00:25   #3

Hi Ann,
You’re right of course, and I’m already thinking how I should best set about it. Sailing is a quirky business isn’t it? We come back in after being knocked about and having the life frightened out of us, only to go back out again, and one decent sail makes us forget it—almost anyway.
Although, I can’t help comparing the past five years with the previous three, when I restored a 1966 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud to pristine condition. I drove that all over America, and it was the most enjoyable work I’ve ever done.
I sold it to buy the boat, and at the moment I think I would happily swap it back.
Old 08-10-2016, 14:10   #4
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Sorry to hear about your damages from the storm. I have gelcoat damage from the boat heeling with the wind beyond the fender. Otherwise, the boat faired well. Your thoughtful preparation saved your boat despite the damages from the storm. The wind and surge were devastating depending on your location. We lucked out in Ponce. High tide was 2 hrs from when the eye wall past us. Flagler and St Augustine may have had a worse surge.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 14:51   #5

Thanks for your good wishes CHM. I’m pleased to hear you also managed with minimal damage. I wouldn't want to be one of those other two which got clobbered, through no fault of theirs.
I don’t know if it’s our age or what, but we are heartily sick of Florida weather and intend to get the hell out of it as soon as possible, either on our boat, car or Greyhound bus.
If it’s not hurricane warnings, it’s the oppressive heat and humidity, and even last years winter was still too damn hot for us. Whatever the reason this place is getting hotter each year.
We have a cabin at 3500ft in the Blue Ridge Mountains and I get more work done in a day, then three in Florida.
Quite where to take the boat, I don’t know. Maybe well up north come the spring, then across to Europe.
Old 08-10-2016, 16:31   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it isnt sailing that is bad it is canes and keeping boats in inadequate storage places with improper orientation to bad storms, winds and surges. . this is all able to be designed out iff the designers of marinas did their jobs and designed em.
as they donot, then we the boater must decide where to keep our boats if we desire to actually keep em.
i go by gut feelings and history of the marina in storms.
also history of storms hitting the area
so far i am 6 yrs in caneville, this time, with one direct hit oops was patricia, and we were well outside cone, BUTTTTTTT still got zapped by the eyeball and subsequent 215 mph steady winds. we were fine.
too many marinas are not designed to withstand a good hit. those need to be identified and avoided. hanging out in mangroves is less damaging,\
best of luck with your repairs.

ohyeah--if hauling, make sure boat is on tarmack not mud or sand. those go bye bye ......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 16:50   #7

Hey Roger,

Dee here. Sorry about your frustration with the boat and FL. I'm no longer in Boone and I'm back here on the boat on the Chesapeake. Did your leg heal well? I'll look to see if I have your email and if not will send you a private message about Jeannie.

Best Regards
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:17   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Hi Ann,
You’re right of course, and I’m already thinking how I should best set about it. Sailing is a quirky business isn’t it? We come back in after being knocked about and having the life frightened out of us, only to go back out again, and one decent sail makes us forget it—almost anyway.
Although, I can’t help comparing the past five years with the previous three, when I restored a 1966 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud to pristine condition. I drove that all over America, and it was the most enjoyable work I’ve ever done.
I sold it to buy the boat, and at the moment I think I would happily swap it back.
Nice car. Best not to show it to the folks on "The Frugal Sailor" thread.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
also history of storms hitting the area
I went by this. Painstakingly analyzed hurricane tracks for the past hundred years+.

There was one place that hadn't been touched and that is where my boat currently sits in a pile of other boats all beat up and one sunk. The moorings dragged.

They hadn't had a true hurricane in 188 years prior.
matthewdamage is offline   Reply With Quote