Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 02:40   #1

Advice Wanted for Sailing out of AUS and Cyclone Season

Hey Guys,

I would love your advice on getting aboard a boat leaving Australia at the beginning of 2014!

I am currently planning my next big O/S trip and I want to do it all without flying. I am sailing and based in Fremantle, Wetstern Australia and i want to begin my travels in early 2014. I am not locked to Fremantle and can travel to anywhere in Australia to get on board a boat. However, after researching my desired departure date I am concerned i am putting myself in the wrong season!

Ideally I want to get to South America, but I know that the cyclone season lasts until April in the South Pacific and also the trade winds blow in the opposite direction. So I have opened up my criteria to sailing via South Africa. Does the same cyclone season still apply when travelling from West Oz across the Indian Ocean? And if so, when should i be looking at finding positions on boats and what are the best cities/ports to be looking at?

I have considered Cargos, but after getting some prices (much of which are more than cruises!) I am wanting to sail. Also, i like a challenge and working for my passage!

I was hoping you guys and your great amounts of knowledge could give me some tips and advice on how about i go about making my dream become a reality. I really don't want to give up on this, as every time i tell someone my plans and they tell me to "just fly there, it will be much cheaper!", my drive to do this grows!

Greatly appreciate all your help in advance!

cheers,
Brodie
brodie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 14:36   #2

Re: Advice Wanted for Sailing out of AUS and Cyclone Season

Seasons are the same anywhere in the southern hemisphere. Best to plan on leaving a bit later, I'd suggest.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 03:00   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Thackaringa
Thumbs up Re: Advice Wanted for Sailing out of AUS and Cyclone Season

There will be more boats going from East to West leaving from Darwin any time after May. There is a rally that sails from Darwin to Ambon in August. This is where 90% of the traffic will be. To go the other way from West to East across the bottom of the South Pacific in the "roaring forties" is a hard slog and not many people do it that way but they are out there. My advise is to google "find a crew".
Thackaringa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, wanted