Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2012, 07:24   #1

Advice wanted for mooring a 65ft Yacht in Europe

Hi All

Looking for some advice on the cheapest places to moor a 65ft Yacht around Europe, Swinging, Pontoons, Harbour moorings etc...

Would swinging moorings be able to cope with a boat of this size, they do seem the cheapest out there?.

Thanks in advance to any feedback.
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 07:40   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax
Hi All

Looking for some advice on the cheapest places to moor a 65ft Yacht around Europe, Swinging, Pontoons, Harbour moorings etc...

Would swinging moorings be able to cope with a boat of this size, they do seem the cheapest out there?.

Thanks in advance to any feedback.
It's a big place Europ. Where do you want to berth.

Dave
Old 16-06-2012, 08:32   #3

Re: Advice wanted for mooring a 65ft Yacht in Europe

Yes well aware its a big place, any suggestions on where is the cheapest parts though?. Say for example I wanted to moor it there for a year?.

I hear that Croatia is sometimes very reasonable..

Is the black sea and bulgaria cheap to moor a boat?

Any of the islands around UK maybe cheaper than others?, any light you can give is great... South of france is quite renowned for being expensive right??..
Old 16-06-2012, 08:40   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax
Yes well aware its a big place, any suggestions on where is the cheapest parts though?. Say for example I wanted to moor it there for a year?.

I hear that Croatia is sometimes very reasonable..

Is the black sea and bulgaria cheap to moor a boat?

Any of the islands around UK maybe cheaper than others?, any light you can give is great... South of france is quite renowned for being expensive right??..
Croatia is expensive as is the whole med. ( in general)

As you go more northerly and into very temperate climates things get cheaper, but the winters are tough going. Ireland outside the main population centres is very cheap as is northern UK.

the canaries might be a middle of the road option.

However with a boat of that size you will have to narrow the area down and do a search. The most difficult can be actually finding a long term berth never mind the cost. ( well in anywhere warm)

Unless you are a EU citizen there is also a host if other issues like residency status, tax, boat taxes, VAT etc. you need to be informed.

But living aboard in the med is far better then northern climes. For me that's worth alot of money. Food is generally cheaper and heating costs considerably lower.

The big issue on the south of France is actually getting a free berth, many marinas have 20 year waiting lists. France is cheaper as you proceed westwards. I have lived aboard for several summers on the cote d,azure and I really enjoyed it

Note that in many marinas liveaboards are rare or forbidden, many exist " under the radar" I'd say you need to narrow your focus.

Dave
Old 16-06-2012, 08:56   #5
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow

Croatia is expensive as is the whole med. ( in general)

As you go more northerly and into very temperate climates things get cheaper, but the winters are tough going. Ireland outside the main population centres is very cheap as is northern UK.

the canaries might be a middle of the road option.

However with a boat of that size you will have to narrow the area down and do a search. The most difficult can be actually finding a long term berth never mind the cost. ( well in anywhere warm)

Unless you are a EU citizen there is also a host if other issues like residency status, tax, boat taxes, VAT etc. you need to be informed.

But living aboard in the med is far better then northern climes. For me that's worth alot of money. Food is generally cheaper and heating costs considerably lower.

The big issue on the south of France is actually getting a free berth, many marinas have 20 year waiting lists. France is cheaper as you proceed westwards. I have lived aboard for several summers on the cote d,azure and I really enjoyed it

Note that in many marinas liveaboards are rare or forbidden, many exist " under the radar" I'd say you need to narrow your focus.

Dave
Dave, I know you have been out of Ireland for awhile. It is no longer cheap, the only place that is inexpensive and SAFE is on the river Shannon. But I must ask the OP what his intentions are, asking if there are any cheap places in Europe is like asking if there are any cheap places in the US...

Where will you be based?
Do you want to sail the boat or are you looking for storage for a year?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 09:37   #6

Ideally we are looking for somewhere we can work on the boat and take it out on day trips from for a year so we can bring it upto the spec we want for a world trip.

This will be able to be done whilst in the water but we will need nights living onboard, however not permanently.

We will be based in UK and going backwards and forwards.

Do you think finding moorings for a 65ft boat around Europe are going to be a continuous struggle if you dont have the deepest pockets in the world?, as even the first couple of responces to this thread are giving us the impression that its not so easy to find them.

Anyone know about swinging moorings? Whats the max size you can attach to one?? I know there are various sizes, are there upper limits?
Old 16-06-2012, 10:18   #7
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
If you expect to use, upgrade, refit your boat in only a year it had beat be close to you. Not to be snarky, but you maybe should have bought a smaller boat as you will pay through the nose everywhere in the world from marinas to haulout costs for a boat that size.

Jedi has a boat this size maybe PM him for his yearly costs.

You should be able to find swing moorings and make sure you are insured anyway.

I cant emphasize enough that you need to be close to the boat as there will
Be many projects that wont he able to be complete inlong weekends....

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 10:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

in the uk in the sw
one my yachts is 63 ft,we currently lease 120 ft of wharf this costs iro £300 amonth.
we dry out twice a day leaning against the wall alongside.

marina costs would be roughly £10000 a year,or a swinging mooring in the main harbour about £300 a month.

on the east coast in places like grimsby ,gt yarmouth or lowestoft you may be able to get alongside berths in the fish docks at aprox £40 a night,with no facilities though montly rates may be much more reasonable.

the west coast of scotland has many locks where the boat could be left anchored in very sheltered conditions for free
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, mooring, wanted, yacht