Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 23:16   #1
Pri

Advice on Sailing Course

Hi,

I'm interested in learning to sail and would like some advice on whether I should do an RYA course or if I sign up for a normal learn to sail course at my local yacht club will that be good enough?

Many Thanks,

Pri
Pri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 01:16   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Advice on sailing course

pri -- in what country are you -- that may affect the answer
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 03:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pri.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 04:01   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)

There are lots of sailing schools out there that are very good. I'd recommend taking a course that suits you and gets you some certifications while you're at it.

What are you wanting to do? Daysail... coastal cruising... bluewater? There are courses and introductory sailing classes to fit everyone's desires out there.
kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 06:59   #5

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
pri -- in what country are you -- that may affect the answer
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 10:59   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

While sailing classes at clubs are usually pretty cheap or free to club members unless they are taught by certified instructors and there is certification following the class there is no standardization and you are not guaranteed that you will come away with the required knowledge. I know that's a long sentence. Sorry.
Our club has a free introductory course for anyone who shows up. You don't learn much but you have a good time for a few hours at our expense.
kind regards,
Old 13-12-2013, 11:23   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Some countries require proof of proficiency, or a 'licence' to operate a vessel of over a given size. Will your club training provide that?

Also, if you are thinking of owning in future, insurance requirements may be a factor.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 14:09   #8
Pri

Thanks a lot everyone for the replies.
I am in New Zealand at the moment and was looking at doing a level 1 course, i think its something like 12h in the water. I have never sailed before and wanted to make sure that I'm not just wasting money on courses that wont give me any recognised certification.
I will enquire if the club will give me a certification at the end.
Not very likely I will own a boat but someday who knows! I would mainly like to learn the basics for now and maybe join some boats as crew in future.

@SkiprJohn - I will be in Hawaii in about 3 months time, where can I find more info on learning to sail there?

Thanks again!

Pri
Pri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 14:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on sailing course

12 hours in the water... Brrrrrrrrrrrrr..
To crew you don't need quals.. just energy.. and a few $$'s to hand to offer to pay your way helps more.. get some experience under your belt there's plenty out there looking for crew to pay there own way and the price of a ticket from NZ to Hawaii would likely get you a ride on a boat to there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 15:23   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri View Post
I am in New Zealand at the moment and was looking at doing a level 1 course, i think its something like 12h in the water. I have never sailed before and wanted to make sure that I'm not just wasting money on courses that wont give me any recognised certification.
Not very likely I will own a boat but someday who knows! I would mainly like to learn the basics for now and maybe join some boats as crew in future.

@SkiprJohn - I will be in Hawaii in about 3 months time, where can I find more info on learning to sail there?

Thanks again!

Pri
Aloha Pri,

If you tell me where you might be visiting, i.e. Honolulu, Kona or Hilo I can help direct you a little bit.

kindest regards,
Old 13-12-2013, 17:38   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
I have never sailed before and wanted to make sure that I'm not just wasting money on courses that wont give me any recognised certification.
Pri

Take the 12 hour course and see if you enjoy sailing first.

After that if you like sailing...

Most local Yacht Clubs hold "Beer Can" races and the boat owners are always looking for crew. You might even get a free lunch out of it.

You probably have several local sailing magazines down there. Check for people looking for crew.

After you have some experience and time on the water you can decide if you want to take more advanced classes.

If you are more adventurous and want some blue water time. you could probably find people heading back into the South Pacific in the Spring looking for crew from NZ to New Caledonia or points beyond.

Good luck!!!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 19:45   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

Thanks again!
Pri
Hmm. I would simply sign up as crew in a club that does a bit of club-level racing. It's the skipper's job to train you in the basics, and it beats falling out of an Opti or a 420 or whatever is used to sail train adults.

Race crew is a steep learning curve, but is the most "real" in my view. If the skipper's a bit of an arse, you can easily switch to a better boat with a better skipper. Rotate through the positions and read a few "how to sail" books and books on weather and safety prep. After a season or two of this, you'll find you get a lot more from an RYA Competent Crew or Day Skipper course than if you just went in cold.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 05:21   #13

I agree the 12 hour class if reasonably priced makes a lot of sense. Might make a difference if it's 2 six hour days vs. 6 two hour days since retention might be a problem if they throw too much at you in too short a time, but either way I'm sure you'll learn something, even if it's just whether you like sailing.

You'll also most likely meet other new sailors which can be the beginning of a network providing for the exchange of ideas, opportunities, and alternatives for learning more about sailing.
Old 14-12-2013, 05:49   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
If you are going to do a proper " course" do a RYA one. Check to see of your yacht club course is RYA certified. , many are.

I would suggest doing a course ( or several ) before going racing , you learn little racing as often you just yet assigned a single job. Cruising is a better way to learn the ropes. Racing is secular to learn more about sail trim and race tactics etc.

Of you do race ,try to get onto a smaller boat say like 8m with 3-4 crew , you'll generally get more experience then a larger boat.

Dave
Old 14-12-2013, 06:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Racing is secular to learn more about sail trim and race tactics etc.

Dave
Not to mention it's just plain fun

Tags
sail, sailing