Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 09:19   #16

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'
Re: Advice on boat to use for the Great Loop

If you are planning on going thru the Erie Canal you want to check the dates it's open as it is open only seasonally. In addition there are height restrictions in the canal that you need to consider een when going by powerboat. I agree with the others that are recommending a diesel trawler for both room and fuel consumption. Speed shouldn't be a factor as you will want to "cruise" and see the sights vs racing thru the wateryways. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:28   #17

Problem with inboard engines will be the endless need to clean the prop from weeds, trash bags, wires, ropes, and so forth. Its really a trashy trip. Some places you will have to go into the water yourself to free the prop because no one else will be around to do the dirty job.

Outboard engines solve this problem. Just raise the engine, clean the prop, and you are done.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:35   #18

My Albin 25 has a 400 mile range on a 20 gallon tank of diesel at 6 knots. It can go up to 8 knots. It is a small boat so it's best for one or two people. It has a 23hp Volvo engine.
I'm just waiting to retire to try that trip.
There are a lot of 32-34 Taiwanese made Trawlers from the 70's that would be good for that trip that don't cost very much either.
Old 29-11-2015, 09:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
.................................................. ....

Outboard engines solve this problem. Just raise the engine, clean the prop, and you are done.
Perhaps. On our Catalina 25 with an outboard 7.5 hp, I could raise the engine, but I couldn't reach it without docking the boat. A solution that is not guaranteed at whichever point you pick up the trash.

Follow the leaders; The skippers who have done that trip. Do your homework and research.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:21   #20

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Would suggest a medium catamaran sailboat without a mast (maybe a gemini), not bigger than 40' and draw less than 5'..
Old 29-11-2015, 14:28   #21

Boat: Riviera 40

Hi, I am now from the dark side, bought a 38ft Marine Trader trawler with single 210 Cummins in May this year and have done 3/4s of the Loop 4500miles from St Petersburg Fl all the way around to Mobile where it is dry docked for Winter whilst I return home to Australia.
At 7.3 Knots It uses 2.5Gph. Fuel at the current price is not your biggest expense,Marinas will be. Go with the smallest boat you can live comfortably on, my choice would be 36ft to 42 ft.No more than 4ft Draft,big fuel and water tanks say 250 gall.Walk around decks are almost a must, especially in locks.
Forget about sailing on the loop,there are few places where it would make sense.Those loopers that I met with yachts on the loop said dont buy a yacht to just do the Loop,only do it if you allready own one or are going on to do ocean cruising after.You are welcome to check our blog at, auskiwiloop.blogspot.com
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:38   #22

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdwellers2 View Post
We would like to start the Great Loop in the next year, what are the advantages of sail vs power boats? We currently just spent the last month on our 19' Potter on Lake Powell, Mohave and Havasu, so we know we would like a larger boat, 28 to 34 ft to live aboard. Also, what type sailboat would be good? Thanks!
Trawler would seem a good option. Not much opportunity to sail.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:45   #23

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Lot's of good advice here already. Just to add my vote: As much as I love sailing, a diesel trawler or tug would be my choice for doing the loop. If there were more stretches of open water a sailboat would be tempting, but ultimately transiting the canals (mast down or shipped) is not the "highest and best use" of a sailing vessel.
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 15:16   #24

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Problem with inboard engines will be the endless need to clean the prop from weeds, trash bags, wires, ropes, and so forth. Its really a trashy trip. Some places you will have to go into the water yourself to free the prop because no one else will be around to do the dirty job.

Surely you jest. About everything you have posted on this thread is negative concerning the loop. This flies in the face of about everything I have heard and read about the loop. The dozens of post I have seen have nothing but praise for the experience. ?????? While I have not done the compete loop I have been on sections of it Just beautiful.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 17:58   #25

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

I haven't done the loop myself but, I have a good friend who started in the summer of 2014. He has a Grand Banks 42 trawler. He put her on the hard someplace in the Chesapeake last winter. He spent the winter is Arizona then returned in the spring. He's loving it. I have heard nothing but good reports from him. He's a former sailor with years of experience yet he chose a trawler for the loop.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 18:15   #26

Boat: Cooper 416

A lot of sailor's that have quit sailing (age medical) have moved to trawlers. 5 knots is 5 knots, raise the canvas stabilizer and truck on.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jason mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 18:19   #27

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
...The dozens of post I have seen have nothing but praise for the experience...

The Active Captain guy posted the trip in 129 different videos. Pretty entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC98...HTwl0Xg/videos
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:22   #28

Boat: Scout 30

Some seriously glass half empty posts about the loop. Might say more about the poster than the trip. I know we plan to do it when we can take the time. Our Scout 30 burns about a 1/2 gallon an hour at 7 knots. Pretty comfortable for 2 & great for the loop. Here's one for sale on Yachtworld:

1988 Scout Express Motor Yacht 30 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I've done many parts of the loop and the east coast while delivering various power boats. I don't deliver sailboats cause sailors are cheap

Primer For First Timers Heading South covers from Toronto to Bahamas/dry Tortugas and will give you a bit of an idea of what to expect on that leg.
Best vessel is a diesel fueled displacement trawler like the one in the article ...
145hp /1.62gph at 7.5 nautical miles per gallon or the one in my avatar 55hp / 0.75gph at 7.5 nautical miles per gallon
Old 01-12-2015, 18:04   #30

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've done many parts of the loop and the east coast while delivering various power boats. I don't deliver sailboats cause sailors are cheap

Primer For First Timers Heading South covers from Toronto to Bahamas/dry Tortugas and will give you a bit of an idea of what to expect on that leg.
Best vessel is a diesel fueled displacement trawler like the one in the article ...
145hp /1.62gph at 7.5 nautical miles per gallon or the one in my avatar 55hp / 0.75gph at 7.5 nautical miles per gallon
I resemble that remark. Sailors that transition to powerboats are cheap too!>
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote