Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 22:59   #31

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Advice on Best Foods to Take for Food Value for Long Passage

Once you open the butter put it in a French butter dish in order to keep it fresh and spreadable without refrigeration.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 03:02   #32

Boat: Mariner 31 ketch (in Mexico)

Don't forget to check your canned food periodically to make sure the cans aren't 'blown', i.e. the ends have become convex. This indicates they are contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism poisoning.
Sam of 'DX' died of this in the Indian Ocean in 1988 when his inexperienced crew, Yogi, served him a bad can of mushrooms (Yogi recovered).
According to 'Joy of Cooking', blown cans can be salvaged by boiling the contents (with additional liquid if necessary) in an uncovered pan for 15 minutes, stirring periodically. The organism can't survive in the presence of oxygen. I've done this and it does work - still here.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 04:44   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I've given this topic a lot of thought. The only solution that comes to mind is about 20cuft of fridge and a 30cuft freezer in a 45' catamaran with 2 staterooms turned into pantry. LOL
That WOULD be COOL! :big grin: (Pun intended!)

Seriously, as a foodie, I can see the appeal of having a BIG selection of frozen fine foods for a very long cruise with crew/family. NO Tv dinners! But a great selection of frozen fruits, meats, etc. Blueberries, strawberries, etc.

I enjoyed reading your post.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 05:50   #34

Boat: Boatless

Google Beth Leonard. Take a look at her lists and books. She and Evans Starzinger have sailed multiple circumnavigations without refrigeration, spending months in areas with no food available except what they had aboard. If it worked for them, it will certainly work for you.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:59   #35

Boat: islandpacket

D&D I checked out that shuttle chef cooker and whilst it looks great at $500 it costs more than my hob. Maybe one day. I hope it works better than the other brands. Thanks for pointing it out. I also liked the sprouting containers.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-05-2015, 12:43   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, I like to look at food from three viewpoints:

- long range sailing, (nutrition/volume)
vs.
- long range running, (energy)
vs.
- mountain climbing. (energy/nutrition/volume (weight))

I rank taste above all that, much as I know this is personal and not relevant.

Now, if I were to go longest, with minimum fuss, it would be pasta and fat (e.g. pasta, fried garlic, olive oil). BUT, for obvious reasons, I do not: we normally stock with perhaps 100 varieties of food even before a short passage. We are not going for K2 summit in winter, we are not running a half marathon every day, we have a boat and the boat has voluminous lockers: no reason to look for optimum weight/quality when we can have what we want/like.

You must remember most of sailing is done at very low revs and adjust your calories accordingly. Unless you want to get very fat very soon. Sailing (other than competitive) is a very very sedative work and low stress / low intellectual effort. Eat accordingly. / Eat responsibly. ;-)

Have fun provisioning and eating. Take some extra, go for variety.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:57   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

Seriously, as a foodie, I can see the appeal of having a BIG selection of frozen fine foods for a very long cruise with crew/family. NO Tv dinners! But a great selection of frozen fruits, meats, etc. Blueberries, strawberries, etc.
What was the longest offsupermarket cruise you were on?

Why not take fresh food?

A whole cow could be easily fitted into any Baloon. I am not sure why the company does not offer them as optional extras ...

image attribution: taak.me

b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whynot.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	102211  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 13:07   #38

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
Don't forget to check your canned food periodically to make sure the cans aren't 'blown', i.e. the ends have become convex. This indicates they are contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism poisoning.
Sam of 'DX' died of this in the Indian Ocean in 1988 when his inexperienced crew, Yogi, served him a bad can of mushrooms (Yogi recovered).
According to 'Joy of Cooking', blown cans can be salvaged by boiling the contents (with additional liquid if necessary) in an uncovered pan for 15 minutes, stirring periodically. The organism can't survive in the presence of oxygen. I've done this and it does work - still here.
I cannot for the life of me think of a single good or even half decent reason to try and salvage the contents of a blown can.

The only cans I have had problems with are those produced by Golden Circle in Queensland ( they can for other brands as well (the cans have maybe half a dozen ribs around their midriff .. easily spotted). None lasted beyond 12 months without blowing.

That said I've had no other blown cans and I have had slow moving product aboard for up to 10 years ( note to self... don't buy Spam again )... currently working through the last of the mushrooms bought in P Arenas 4 years ago....
Old 16-05-2015, 16:03   #39

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Pasta
Honey
Condensed milk
Biscuits and dried bread
Grains cereals and spices/sauces of all sorts
Hard cheese
I hate bottles, no beer and little wine
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:01   #40
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
D&D I checked out that shuttle chef cooker and whilst it looks great at $500 it costs more than my hob. Maybe one day. I hope it works better than the other brands. Thanks for pointing it out. I also liked the sprouting containers.
Our pleasure. The Shuttle Chefs are an investment, but the 'dividends' are delicious and plentiful! They most certainly work. Here are a couple pics of last night's indulgence (lamb shanks on sweet mash with sprouts garnish) as well as one of an earlier Shuttle Chef favorite (beer damper) with sweet lip & veggies...

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	102220

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	102221

D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:51   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We bought the commercial can size dehydrated/freeze dried vegetables etc. from our local Mormon Survival Food Dealer. The Mormons are urged by the Church to maintain a survival stash of food so are good source of information and supplier for long term storage foods.

This was quite a while ago so hopefully the quality of foods has gotten better. For dried foods, things like onions, garlic etc. all seem to taste the same as you are probably used to in dried package soup mixes. Okay, but you know where they came from. We found the dried cheese to be a good thing to add to other ingredients in casseroles but not very good by itself. Dried green peppers were also great additions to stews, spaghetty sauce, and chili. Most of the other stuff was so unappetizing that it spoiled before we finished a can.

If you are going anywhere near an area with a French influence, take plenty of peanut butter. Seems the US is the only place that consumes large amounts of it so it is very expensive and only in small jars. The availability of quality of bread upped our consumption of Pbutter and we quickly ran out. Fortunately, we scored a stash from a returning cruising boat that had over stocked. Canned butter is another must have but doesn't seem to keep much beyong six months so hard to stock up. It was readily available out of NZ, not cheap but affordable even in the most remote areas.

Pop Corn and dried shrimp chips were really great for snack foods, stored well and didn't take up much space.

My wife found 'Joy of Cooking' as a great resource for ideas on how to use some things like Papayas that are exotics to those who don't live in tropical areas. Greens and fresh vegetables were the things we missed the most. Green Papaya was about the only thing we found outside of heavily populated areas in Polynesia.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:59   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What was the longest offsupermarket cruise you were on?

Why not take fresh food?

A whole cow could be easily fitted into any Baloon. I am not sure why the company does not offer them as optional extras ...

image attribution: taak.me

b.
I'm not sure I understand what you posted. A cow in a balloon? Do you mean packaged in plastic?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 21:10   #43

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32

Hello All,

I need a little more information about Tainted Food from Cans.

**** I read (here) where a man died from eating mushrooms from a can. Were the mushrooms spoiled or what happen to them ?

a. Were they processed improperly and contaminated at the cannery or what ?

b. I read where the cans are defective, they leak or allow air in and the contents are spoiled or what ? Perhaps a small pin hole and it's not noticed.. what then ?

Bottom Line Question:

How do I know when the contents are un-fit to eat i.e. how do I inspect the cans/ food ?

I'm aware of -- bad smell, darken color, leaking can, etc., but what am I missing here ?!? If the contents were processed with bad guy bacteria already there... I'd never know it until I was sick, or worst, dead like the man that ate the bad mushrooms.

Please, give me some clarifying information on, " What to Look for When Eating Food from Cans. "

Thank You,

Avery
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 21:59   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you posted. A cow in a balloon? Do you mean packaged in plastic?
I think he's referring to a bovine version of haggis.
I must add that to my list of what to do with oats .

SWL

Edited to add:
Ideas for oats on boats:

Porridge (cooks perfectly just by sitting in a thermos with boiling water)
Muesli
Bircher muesli
Granola (hard to stop munching this)
Baked oatmeal with apple or carrot (scrumptious warm, good cake-like snack when cold)
Cookies (good ones can be made even if you have run out of eggs and butter)
Muffins
Pancakes
Apple crumble
Bread (Beth Leonard has an excellent recipe, it keeps beautifully moist)
Rissoles (particularly good in veggie and salmon ones)
Haggis

Any more suggestions? I use this fantastic boat staple by the trailer load (only a slight exaggeration ).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 22:19   #45

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Hello All,

I need a little more information about Tainted Food from Cans.

**** I read (here) where a man died from eating mushrooms from a can. Were the mushrooms spoiled or what happen to them ?

a. Were they processed improperly and contaminated at the cannery or what ?

b. I read where the cans are defective, they leak or allow air in and the contents are spoiled or what ? Perhaps a small pin hole and it's not noticed.. what then ?

Bottom Line Question:

How do I know when the contents are un-fit to eat i.e. how do I inspect the cans/ food ?

I'm aware of -- bad smell, darken color, leaking can, etc., but what am I missing here ?!? If the contents were processed with bad guy bacteria already there... I'd never know it until I was sick, or worst, dead like the man that ate the bad mushrooms.

Please, give me some clarifying information on, " What to Look for When Eating Food from Cans. "

Thank You,

Avery
You can pick a blown can by staining on the label and then a nasty little black spot on the tin...
A nice shiny can... should be no probs. I often get cans developing a bit of surface rust... I just prioritise the consumption of those ones....

Mind you chinese mushrooms would be a worry but try finding anything else these days.

There was a recent health drama in Oz with frozen blueberrys(?) from China.

Moving right along... I use tinned mushrooms, corn and peas to bulk up packet soup at lunchtime...on the days we aren't having noodles y tabasco

Tags
food, passage