Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also these earlier CF discussions:

black smoke - Google Search

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Twisty-
"Worst case scenario, you blow it up, "
That doesn't seem to bother you, but if the engine does something catastrophic, like throwing a piston, the repairs can much MUCH more expensive than they would have been if the engine was repaired without letting it blow up.
If it is making loud knocks, or sounds like stray flatware in the dishwasher...That's reason to stop before things get expensive. As opposed to just blowing soot.

But from what I hear, it ain't sailing weather up in Ithaca right now, not even for the hardy folks.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 19:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Twisty-
"Worst case scenario, you blow it up, "
That doesn't seem to bother you, but if the engine does something catastrophic, like throwing a piston, the repairs can much MUCH more expensive than they would have been if the engine was repaired without letting it blow up.
If it is making loud knocks, or sounds like stray flatware in the dishwasher...That's reason to stop before things get expensive. As opposed to just blowing soot.

But from what I hear, it ain't sailing weather up in Ithaca right now, not even for the hardy folks.(G)
Yes it is more expensive but no matter who he takes it to, after his neighbor friend, they are going to say it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. They are in the business of selling something, whether that is service or replacement, then they're in the repair biz. So no matter what he does from here on out he is screwed.

Yes I am a little complacent about it but thats because I would just rebuild it or replace it myself, and blocks can be had pretty reasonable if you know where to look. Some friends went through this last yr with a Detroit V71(non turbo), $8000 to rebuild it by a guy direct from Detroit, when the one the Detroit guy rebuilt blew up(main bearing) we replaced it with a rebuilt with 100hrs on it for $11,000 out of Va., it is just a matter of knowing where to look.

Now if it is knocking like flatwear in the dishwasher that is a completely dfferent story, then put it up, but this one isn't, run it.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"So no matter what he does from here on out he is screwed."
Gee, and I thought *I* was a pessimist.

In central NY he can probably find a BOCES program in engine repair, and certainly find some shops and mechanics who still know how to fix things. And, libraries with books telling how to diagnose them.

I'd say he can't possibly be screwed--since the boat is captive on a lake and even if the engine blows up, he can drift ashore and walk home.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, repairs