Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 17:17   #1

Advice needed:: Electric Drill wincher

Need advice on which Milwaulkee 1/2 inch right angle lithium battery powered drill set to get to winch sails..... Im planning to get back into sailing at age 83 with a fake replacement left shoulder., bought a 85 Jeanneau Sunshine 36' Racer Cruiser. Going to replace the 3 straight non self tailing winches with self tailers . Plan on running them all with the Milwaulkee 1/2 right angle drill . Need to know which model and set up works best as there are several available. Thanks in advance.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 17:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Advice needed:: Electric Drill wincher

I just bought mine. The wisdom I got was to use the Ultimate Cranker bit. I went to that site and found they recommend the Milwaukee 7021. I tried to buy through the site but that didn’t work/. So I bought the bit from the Ebay store and the drill from a different outfit. I’ve fitted the bit but not tried it yet.

https://www.thecranker.com/the%20ult...web%20page.htm
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 17:58   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Geo, the one we use is a 0721-20. Purchased about 7 years ago, used nearly daily since then, still going strong. We love it!

There are two types of "bits" to fit into the winch sockets, one that is held in the chuck, the other where you remove the chuck and screw the bit directly onto the drive screw. The former is quicker t o set up and IIRC, a bit less expensive. It also means that you can still use the drill as a drill, something that I wanted. The downside is that when operating in reverse, the screw that locks the chuck in place may break (and it is a 1/4-20 socket head screw with left-hand threads, and unavailable in Australia!!). I solved that problem by using red Loc-Tite on the threads, and no more issues.

The other type is screwed onto the drive screw and then locked in place with a grub screw. Some folks think this is a better option... I don't.

I think that whichever route you choose, you will find the Millie to be a shoulder saver. As a fellow octogenarian I really appreciate ours, and Ann, perhaps even more so!

Jim
Old 11-10-2019, 18:59   #4

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I bought the ultimate cranker kit but I would strongly recommend you don't, the extras I paid for went in the bin. Just buy the attachment and the drill elsewhere.

There are 18v and 28v, I went with the 28v, the torque is much better.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:39   #5

To those that have the 28V drill, does it have enough oomph to get a 200lb person up a 48' mast, do you think? Is its speed sufficiently controllable?
HiAndDri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Geo, the one we use is a 0721-20. Purchased about 7 years ago, used nearly daily since then, still going strong. We love it!

There are two types of "bits" to fit into the winch sockets, one that is held in the chuck, the other where you remove the chuck and screw the bit directly onto the drive screw. The former is quicker t o set up and IIRC, a bit less expensive. It also means that you can still use the drill as a drill, something that I wanted. The downside is that when operating in reverse, the screw that locks the chuck in place may break (and it is a 1/4-20 socket head screw with left-hand threads, and unavailable in Australia!!). I solved that problem by using red Loc-Tite on the threads, and no more issues.

The other type is screwed onto the drive screw and then locked in place with a grub screw. Some folks think this is a better option... I don't.

I think that whichever route you choose, you will find the Millie to be a shoulder saver. As a fellow octogenarian I really appreciate ours, and Ann, perhaps even more so!

Jim

The “Cranker” which is the bit that replaces the chuck, still has the same left handed screw issue as it’s held in place the same way as the chuck. It does also have a grub screw that of course you should drill a divot into the drill adapter for the grub screw to set into.
However if your really working it hard in reverse over time that grub screw will break and then the left hand thread screw will too. I also solved hopefully the issue with liberal amounts of red loctitie.
The major advantage of losing the chuck is you lose a lot of weight and the Milwaukee is pretty heavy so any weight loss especially on the end is nice.

You can still easily use it as a drill by removing the angle adapter and putting the chuck on the drill, you lose the angle adapter though, red loctite can be removed of course, but I’ve found that it takes significant heat, you essentially melt it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35   #7

Boat: Hunter, Legend 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAndDri View Post
To those that have the 28V drill, does it have enough oomph to get a 200lb person up a 48' mast, do you think? Is its speed sufficiently controllable?
Depends more on the winch you are using it on. Drill is very powerful, lots of torque, but cannot do what you ask unless the winch is suited. If someone can manually crank you up without really labouring then you should be alright
charris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:38   #8

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAndDri View Post
I recently purchased a Milwaukee 18v hole hawg right angle drill to lift our dinghy, but it did not work, so I got the super hawg but it just kept cutting out (over load protection) so I returned that and got the 28v milwaukee drill, no hesitation pulling the dinghy out of the water onto our foredeck. By the way it is a 10 ft 8 in bris dinghy.
teaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

We bought the Milwaukee 1/2" Right-Angle, 28v drill about 8 years ago. And we fitted it with a "Winchbit" (in the chuck) and 2 batteries (one in use and one in reserve/on the charger). I made a wooden "rack" for it; it sits on the cockpit floor, just in from of the companionway entrance.....and mostly out-of-the-way. It has, and continues to work absolutely great!!! We use it for gross trimming the headsail, for reefing it(under load), for furling the H/S, for rolling up the main (in-mast furling), for going up the mast, for bringing the dink on board, and for bringing up the anchor when our windlass failed. Would not be without it. The only thing better may be powered winches, but it's a whole lot less expensive! It does take a toll on the batts, though, and they are not cheap......we're on #4 and #5 now. and there is some weight to the drill. But don't forget...it can also double as a drill for those heavy drill jobs that come up once in a while.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:22   #10

Boat: Hunter 380

I have a Milwaukee 0721-20 heavy duty 28 volt drill and a winch bit. I love it (now). I have had it for 4 years. I have 2 speed winches on my Hunter 380 and a furling main. The drill worked fine when the bit turned clockwise (low speed direction for the Lewmar winch). But if I got impatient, I switched the drill to CCW and spun the winch mush faster. That put a lot of torque / force on the drill. I fried my drill two times doing that (fixed under warranty). So now I just use clockwise direction. The winch turns slower but with very little effort from the drill. I even put a piece of tape on the drill direction switch to keep it in the clockwise direction. I have two Milwaukee drills on my boat. If one would fail (not likely) then I have a spare.
SeaRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:13   #11

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Need advice on which Milwaulkee 1/2 inch right angle lithium battery powered drill set to get to winch sails..... Im planning to get back into sailing at age 83 with a fake replacement left shoulder., bought a 85 Jeanneau Sunshine 36' Racer Cruiser. Going to replace the 3 straight non self tailing winches with self tailers . Plan on running them all with the Milwaulkee 1/2 right angle drill . Need to know which model and set up works best as there are several available. Thanks in advance.
My advice is to try lifting and handling a Milwaukie 28V drill before you decide this is the solution for you. The drill itself is heavy and you are fighting its considerable torque to hold it in position. Real electric winches are more expensive but much easier to use, especially for someone with limited strength or mobility. They may be worth it if the choice is between those or nothing.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 13:04   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We’ve had this 28 VDC Lithium, Milwaukee right angle 2:1 1/2 inch for several years. The best price we found was factory rebuilt on Amazon. The right ancient part is 2:1 or 1:2 depending on how it’s installed. Always operate reduced speed, increased torque. I made my own winch bit from a piece of key stock turned round on one end. This thing is a work horse. Keep it dry, keep the batteries dry. Run forward or the chuck may unscrew from the tool. This turns out to be the low speed on our winches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73817F36-5F6B-4438-BFEE-825E2DBEE71A.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	201396  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:19   #13

Boat: Taswell 43

HiAndDry....to answer your question, I'm 205, and have had my wife use our 28v Milwaukee to take me up to the masthead several times. It doesn't even grunt real hard! Pulling our 3.4m RIB + 15hp Yamaha (+full fuel tank, ancor,, paddles, etc) out of the water and up onto the foredeck is heavier and seems to make it work a little harder.....but it has never stalled or even slower down much doing it. Pulling the anchor when the windlass quit was a little more difficult, but it did it. It's powerful!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:50   #14

Boat: Sceptre 36

Have had the M-28 angle drive for many years. Will haul a 200# person to the top of a 60' mast at least 3 times on one charge. Love it! Raises the main easily.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:52   #15

I can tell you I in the past used a Milwakee 28volt and it worked but was heavy and required quite a bit of strength to hold drill while operating on the winch to raise my sail on a Hunter 32 Vision I may have access to a winch mate which I gave to a lady on my dock and I know she is not using in My email is delorme@att,net I am 77 and used the drilll about five years ago My final solution was ro in stall a Harken self tailing wing for the main sail
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, winch