Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2017, 14:08   #1

Advice needed buying in a different locale

Greetings All,
I hope you are all doing well. Tell me what you think of this plan. I would like to purchase this year and am land locked in Utah. I am prepared to travel East or West to inspect some boats that I have done some virtual vetting (beginning not to like that word) on. Instead of dumping money into another charter I would like to sail on my new (to me) beauty for a few weeks this year if all goes well. If you find the boat of your dreams would you purchase, enjoy and store until you can take full ownership many months later (like March of next year)? Is this too long to store wet or dry? Do I pass up a great deal and purchase closer to my work departure date? Florida is the area and I have read many ‘how tos’ for storing on the hard for long periods of time . We could visit the boat and check up on her to but that’s more $$. Help. Thanks in advance.
chuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 14:16   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Advice needed buying in a different locale

Some more information would help, such as what kind of boat you're looking for, what general age, condition, and price bracket.

If you're looking for a boat that does not come on the market that often, then it would make sense, on some level, to seize the opportunity when it arises. Storing it on the hard, if done properly, will be fine for the boat, better certainly than leaving it in the water.

I have some advice about long-distance boat shopping but I'll save it until you provide more information about what you're in the market for.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 14:29   #3

This is a late model Amel Super Maramu 53' (they go quick). I have researched yard storage fees and they seem to avg. $7.5 per foot which I have in the budget. Because I have named names I don't want folks thinking "if he can afford that what is he worried about a few more dollars for...next!". I see that all over this board. I worked hard, sacrificed and saved to get here. I still like to save where I can and value your opinions.
Old 31-01-2017, 08:25   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

While there are lots of boats in Florida there is also lots of hot humid conditions.

We looked at 125 boats along the entire gulf coast, west coast and carribean. Finding a boat in Florida was easy, finding a good boat was really challenging. It might help to search wider.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If I found my "dream boat" and got a good price, I'd do it in a New York minute. I'd store it on the hard though, but with power to run a dehumidifier and or air conditioning, depending on location.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:48   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
This is a late model Amel Super Maramu 53' (they go quick). I have researched yard storage fees and they seem to avg. $7.5 per foot which I have in the budget. Because I have named names I don't want folks thinking "if he can afford that what is he worried about a few more dollars for...next!". I see that all over this board. I worked hard, sacrificed and saved to get here. I still like to save where I can and value your opinions.
I may have misinterpreted your initial post, which I read to mean that you'd be at the boat within a few months, would sail it this year, and be sailing more on it from there on out.

Are you talking about buying a boat, storing it half-way across the country, and sailing it only a few weeks a year? So basically the boat sits unused 48 weeks a year or so?

It's possible, but you may find yourself spending the first week of those few weeks each year cleaning the boat, rerunning all your running rigging and sails, commissioning all the systems, repairing stuff that is broken, etc. There will be stuff that just stops working; seals drying out, etc. It just happens.

The boat should be shrink-wrapped while it sits and dehumidifiers running in it, and should be checked every few weeks by someone to ensure that everything is OK.

You're also going to suffer a significant degree of depreciation in the coming years without the benefit of getting much value out of it.

It really all comes down to money. If you can afford it, and afford the long-distance maintenance and care and your enjoyment of owning it outweighs that cost, then why the hell not.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:22   #7

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify. Instead of chartering this year I would like to put that $ to the purchase price and buy this year. Take some vacation and sail on it for a few weeks then store it until March '18 then take full possession, move it, get it ready to live on e.t.c. If it's it a deal would you do it or wait on not deal with the hassle factor.
Old 31-01-2017, 10:42   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We bought a boat in Mexico while we lived in Colorado. This was OK but I do wish we had been able to buy the boat closer to home.

Any boat you buy probably will not be truly ready to sail, tanks, engine, rigging etc all may need work before the boat is splashed. I don't mean to have the boat cruise ready, I just mean to sail it! This is hard to do if you have to use some of your vacation time to travel to the boat. You have to plan carefully because you can't just run down to the marina and check something out! You have to make a plan of action, take notes and measurements, get the stuff, go back to the boat and do some work. Repeat as you realize you got something wrong or forgot a step. Very time consuming.

It is doable but not a great way to go. Of course it depends on the condition of the boat you buy too!

I would look in Mexico because storage is less expensive and the mild climate means it's kinder to your boat and great cruising grounds on the sea of cortez. Also, there are tons of boat knowledgeable people and services here so you can often get work done even if you aren't here (though it's better if you can supervise!)

Of course, if you do come to Mexico to visit your boat, you have a great place to relax even if you don't get the boat out!
Old 31-01-2017, 11:15   #9

Boat: Boatless

For the first time in 9 years we left our boat for several months. A local promised to take care of the boat, for money, by airing her out every few days.

We returned to a total mess. It took 3 people 2 days to clean out the mound.

Don't buy until you are ready to use!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 11:26   #10

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. Consider looking a little farther afield. Nice Mason 53 available here in New Zealand. Currently in longer term storage on the hard at $19 a day. The east coast of New Zealand from Auckland up past the Bay of Islands is one of the great sailing areas on the world scene. Let me know if you want more details. All the best with the search. Cheers
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cal