Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 07:50   #16

Boat: Swan 48
Re: Advice, How to Maintain Watch & Sail When Solo Thru 24 Hr's. (+) Time Periods ?

Hi Avery,
I almost never solo overnight but, when I did for a couple of nights I ran at a slow speed, 2-3 knots and woke myself up often. Have no AIS, but radar reflectors and a good sized boat. Run with as many lights as you can, and leave your radio on loud.
That's what I did, and it worked. But I wouldn't do that anywhere near shipping lanes or where there are a lot of trawlers or fishermen.
Sounds like you have all the devices you'll need.

Simplicity and adventure - my recipe for life.
Scott
scottmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 07:54   #17

Re: Advice, How to Maintain Watch & Sail When Solo Thru 24 Hr's. (+) Time Periods ?

There is a pdf file I'm sure you can do a search called: SinglehandedTipsThirdEdition

too big to up load...
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:02   #18

Boat: S2 11.0C

What I do when offshore solo sailing. I plan ahead. I DR my position. If I see that I am entering into a Traffic Separation Scheme at 0400, I wake at 0345. Sure enough, there is a large contact on the horizon. When sleep is needed, I sleep below nearest the main mast. Wind shifts, waves, etc. A lot is heard near that mast. Tune yourself into it as well as your vessel. Become one in the same.
Try to catch up on sleep during daylight hours...
Old 29-04-2015, 08:03   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

If you sleep while underway or anchored or drifting where there might be boat traffic, you have a good chance of waking up dead. To me, that's even more important than the laws requiring you to keep a proper lookout.

If you don't mind taking the chance, well that's your choice. Not a responsible choice but if you're alone, it's your life you are risking.

A better plan would be to have at least one other person aboard who is able to keep a lookout and take evasive action or at least wake you up.
Old 29-04-2015, 08:07   #20

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezza72 View Post
There is a pdf file I'm sure you can do a search called: SinglehandedTipsThirdEdition

too big to up load...
I just downloaded it, had a quick look, looks good, I expect I'll read it cover to cover, thanks. I'm sure I'll find a couple gems in it.
Old 29-04-2015, 08:14   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
carry an Egg-Timer and sleep in the cockpit with a life jacket on. Then calculate how long a super-tanker or a container-ship will take to appear over your visible horizon and then hit you. Work this out for varying speeds (they'll travel at 18 to 24 kts). Without doing the sums myself - its about 15 minutes. Set the egg-timer for that and do an all round look, then re-set the timer.....you'll get used to it!!
We used to sail with just two of us and then the twins came along. I would stand watch all night long using exactly this method - a mechanical egg timer wound to 15 minutes. Move around the cockpit and do a 360 deg sweep. All the while clipped on and wearing a life jacket. Now that the twins are about to start at 'varsity we'll be back to four of us - the younger boys also stand watches. Not withstanding, every night watch keeps the egg timer to hand. In our experience, most commercial boats travel between 12-18knots.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:15   #22

Boat: Gozzard 36

FWIW I appreciated Roverhi's reply --for some of the others, your posts are giving all of us grumpy old men a bad rep :-)
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Why you guys bother to respond to these threads is beyond me. Are you just bored?
Well. Sailors who have sailed solo on long passages and have faced the challenge of getting enough rest to avoid fatigue see threads like this they are happy to share their ideas and experience. After all, how many sailors actually engage in sailing endeavors lasting for weeks on end alone?

There's a certain element of pride among sailors who've done it and survived to tell about it.

I would have tossed in my two cents worth, but others pretty much said everything worth saying already.

Relax. If you've never sailed solo for weeks at a time alone, try it sometime... And if you have, why not share your experience in threads like this?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:28   #24

Read Richard Henderson's Singlehanded Sailing.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:32   #25

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

It is a shame taht some people have a need to make lessons to other, if you do not like the post, just pass to the next, it would be so much nicer.
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 09:00   #26

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Why you guys bother to respond to these threads is beyond me. Are you just bored?

Old 29-04-2015, 09:00   #27

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Was thinking the same: I sailed essentially single handed 3500 miles from Canada to the Caribbean and frankly couldn't think of anything meaningful to say. We all know what the Rules are; or should.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 09:01   #28

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

Egg timer is NOT a good choice. Only goes off for short time so if really tired can sleep right thru it. Can guess how I know that. Check out Watch Commander which goes to 80 db alarm if not reset within a 1-3 minutes after low alarm. Around $250 but can build your own if handy with electronics. Can find plans in recent Ocean Cruising Club bulletin.

Bruce
S/v DreamCatcher
Colon, Panama
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 09:18   #29

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
carry an Egg-Timer and sleep in the cockpit with a life jacket on. Then calculate how long a super-tanker or a container-ship will take to appear over your visible horizon and then hit you. Work this out for varying speeds (they'll travel at 18 to 24 kts). Without doing the sums myself - its about 15 minutes. Set the egg-timer for that and do an all round look, then re-set the timer.....you'll get used to it!!
I can second this approach. It has been many years since I did a single-handed passage, and then we didn't have all the electronic alarms to supplement watch keeping...

You do get used to it. How can you tell are getting some useful rest? When it seems like the darn timer is dinging every 30 seconds- even though you know you set it for 15 minutes...
Old 29-04-2015, 09:29   #30

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Eventually, you will get sleepy, so prepare for it.

Use a class B AIS, so other boats can see you.
Learn how to use the proximity alarm and use it.
Make sure the alarm is LOUD enough to wake you.

Use a good quality radar reflector mounted high (spreaders).

Wear a harness and CLIP ON!

Having said all that, I crossed the atlantic along the classic canaries route, and spotted very few vessels along the way. Most were a long way off, and stayed that way. Only one sailboat boat got anywhere near us, because I pretty much chased it down to say hello. It was during the ARC, so I know there were boats out there. Its a big ocean.

Sleep during the day. Sleep when the weather is good. If you can, reduce sail before a sleep period.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail