Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 10:58   #151
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice, How to Maintain Watch & Sail When Solo Thru 24 Hr's. (+) Time Periods ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I thought it was common knowledge that range was limited to 2 miles.. in perfect visibility.
And when you remember the horizon is just over 3 miles away from the cockpit of the average small boat "
Yes and no. Two miles is a legal requirement, but ask an infantry soldier how far away you can see a lit cigarette on a dark night. A good eye under good conditions (no background lights, dark sky) may spot something that dim most of a mile away. Running lights? Much further. Remember, good ones can and will exceed the COLREGS minimum standards.
And how many infantrymen have to deal with 'Land Swell' of 2 to 3 metres... every 9 t0 12 seconds.. that cuts your range view to a 4 second scan.. easy to miss those lights if their rising and falling close to sync.. and seriously.. how many folk out there know what they're buying.. its pull the dead one.. wander down to West Marine and 'Have you got one off these'..
As for the horizon being 3 miles away, sure, if you are looking for debris on the water. Which is why there are masthead lights. If your head is six feet above the water and a small sailboat has masthead nav lights 40 feet above the water? The distance goes up to TWELVE miles. The height of both the lights and the observer has to be accounted for, the horizon itself is not the issue.
VHF/UHF Line of Sight Distance Calculator
An online line-of-sight calculator link.

Radio waves do not travel in a straight line.. and even then a hand held in the cockpit is extremely limited..

If those other running lights are only in the bow pulpit? They can still easily be seen from six miles away--if they're bright and unobstructed.
Ya gotta lay off the rum mate.. naah.. boogarit.. if its cane your able..

So "How far away is that light?" with no other clues? Well, if it is on a tanker eighty feet above waterline and moving at eighteen knots....(G)....
Why do I get the feeling your a fair weather sailor...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:20   #152
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Advice, How to Maintain Watch & Sail When Solo Thru 24 Hr's. (+) Time Periods ?

Radio waves aren't the same as light waves, but the radio line-of-sight calculators don't provide for that, they use straight trig functions, same as for light. Or microwave or laser communications, all done by plain trig and anything else is a bonus.

A fair weather sailor? No. But I can read the classified in a newspaper by moonlight, so perhaps my standards for good illumination are different from yours. If you want to broaden the topic and discuss weather and other factors, by all means, what is the range of your nav lights during a winter blizzard? Or didn't you forget that too?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30   #153
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice, How to Maintain Watch & Sail When Solo Thru 24 Hr's. (+) Time Periods ?

Much better than thick fog.. more refection..
Safe sailing..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:24   #154

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Re: Advice, How to Maintain Watch & Sail When Solo Thru 24 Hr's. (+) Time Periods ?

found that I never slept more than two hours at a time -wind changes or boat motion changes wake you up. In shipping lanes I ran the nav lights... Returning from Hawaii to the LA area, I saw many large ships... you can hear the machinery noise below deck when the big boys are still miles away. My experience was that they always saw me, and in many cases they changed course to check on me.
Oronsay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail