Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 11:14   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Advice From Young Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oops, sorry: Cruising Generation 2.0.

Fun Punks like Liz Clark, Matt & Jessica, WickedSalty, S/V Delos, Nike on WhiteSpot Pirates, AccidentalSailorGirl, S/V Teleport, and on and on...
as a member of arguably CG3 (and one of your oldy-moldies), I would say you've way undershot the mark. Of course, that's way off your real topic, but more fun for us oldies to take shots at.

CG1 - the likes of Josh Slocum
CG2 - the like of Stanley (not Skip) Dashew, maybe Sterling Hayden, the SSCA founders
CG3 - the cruisers (and hippies) of the '70s, that first 'big' generation of cruisers that went places where there was more than one cruising boat in the anchorage. You could throw Skip and Linda Dashew in here.

Old 19-09-2014, 11:14   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
At this point, if you're still confused, consider yourself solidly in the old/lonely/bitter camp

And if you're wondering, the "Be Happy"/"Mr Happy"/"Pac-Man-ish" face above is a "smilie", or "emoticon", or "emoji" - meant to inflict emotion upon a typed sentence. The concept is a bit after my time but I can still see the wave crest in the distance

Back on point, GoPro is (unfortunately) the quick/easy solution right now. Swann offers better bang-for-buck for most people wanting decent HD youtube vides, but comparing apples to apples GoPro wins out. All of them suck for audio though, unless you spend $$ for fragile external audio mic. At which point, why bother with the cheap/rugged GoPro in the first place? Fisheye sucks compared to any decent wide angle lens anyway.

That is all....
I may be old but not totally clueless. Actually know what emoticons are but I started with the old foggy variety from the keyboard before all this new fangled graphics.

And actually know what a GoPro, figured out the thread has some connection with the GoPro. I even have a reasonable knowledge of photography and video, even the digital version even thought I started in ancient times with actual "film".

But I still don't know what CG2, Cruising Generation 2.0 refers to and how it specifically relates to the GoPro and sailing and this thread. Seems like everyone is dancing around the question but no one is answering.
Old 19-09-2014, 12:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I may be old but not totally clueless. Actually know what emoticons are but I started with the old foggy variety from the keyboard before all this new fangled graphics.

And actually know what a GoPro, figured out the thread has some connection with the GoPro. I even have a reasonable knowledge of photography and video, even the digital version even thought I started in ancient times with actual "film".

But I still don't know what CG2, Cruising Generation 2.0 refers to and how it specifically relates to the GoPro and sailing and this thread. Seems like everyone is dancing around the question but no one is answering.
Well congratulations, you're solidly in the modern age

No disrespect meant at all, just a little sarcasm/humor. Allow me to clarify (at least as much as my CG1.5 brain allows). And I say that in all seriousness, I'm CG1.5. I'm 34 but use technology (all forms) heavily in my day to day life professionally, and moderately in my life personally. I look at things very differently than most folks only 5-7 years older than me, yet also different than those 5-10 years younger than me. Moore's law, etc, etc, conjecture, conjecture.

CG 2.0 is the group of sailers whom (as the examples mentioned) are in their 20s (though Delos is more of a made-my-money-and-living-the-good-life story than others) and may (like Delos) or may not (like most others) have access to a sizable "cruising kitty" and choose in turn to go young, go now, and worry about the money as needs arise.

CG2.0 has no significant memory of life without the internet. Perhaps they don't always need connection, but they know that any information they require is readily available once they see the wifi bars. Need motor repair? No problem, either we'll find a guy locally or we'll find wifi to google our way out of most of the diagnostic cost and just pay for the physical repair. Or better yet we'll do all the diagnostics and just pay for the machine shop work we can't do on board the boat.

CG2.0 also has little memory of true economic hardships, and they are the better for it (in my opinion). They were not born in the 70's during the oil crunch and 15% mortgage rates, and they did not own property during the late 2000's real estate bubble burst. However they watched friends and family feel the effects of the late 2000s bust and have a very pragmatic view of the "American Dream". *note - for those of you who are not American, I apologize. Forward funds to cover a 6 month tour of your wonderful country and I promise to edit this post to include your point of view. And I am quite sincere in that offer In the meantime since I currently cannot afford to leave the USA, you get the singular viewpoint."

CG2.0 is not a retiree looking for the good life aboard their sailboat while budgeting their retirement to afford the maximum enjoyment before old age forces them back on land for permanent retirement/hospice. Sorry if that's depressing but a significant portion of sailing cruisers fall in that category (more's the pity).

CG2.0 is a an individual (or even family) who is willing to give up the American (or replace with your country here) Dream of a house, 2 cars, and a timeshare at the beach. In return they are looking for a connection to a less materialistic life, experiences with down to earth people, and a reason for being that doesn't revolve around possessions.

That's enough of my neo-hippy rant. More importantly, what oil should I be using, what anchor is best, and are Hunters really the death traps that everyone claims them to be?
Old 19-09-2014, 12:16   #19

Quote:
CG2.0 is a an individual (or even family) who is willing to give up the American (or replace with your country here) Dream of a house, 2 cars, and a timeshare at the beach. In return they are looking for a connection to a less materialistic life, experiences with down to earth people, and a reason for being that doesn't revolve around possessions....
Ahh, the hubris of the young, I remember it well. Always thinking they're re-inventing the wheel, when they're in fact doing exactly the same things, and in the same way, as their forebearers
Old 19-09-2014, 12:27   #20

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

My Kodak Brownie takes great pictures. I get Em printed once a year. When I want sounds I just whistle.
Old 19-09-2014, 12:33   #21

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Nobody likes to see themselves summed-up in a few short paragraphs, but Whitebread nailed us. This is like being roasted, but without the annoying comedians like Carrot Top and no Pam Anderson
Old 19-09-2014, 12:55   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Well congratulations, you're solidly in the modern age

No disrespect meant at all, just a little sarcasm/humor. Allow me to clarify (at least as much as my CG1.5 brain allows). And I say that in all seriousness, I'm CG1.5. I'm 34 but use technology (all forms) heavily in my day to day life professionally, and moderately in my life personally. I look at things very differently than most folks only 5-7 years older than me, yet also different than those 5-10 years younger than me. Moore's law, etc, etc, conjecture, conjecture.

CG 2.0 is the group of sailers whom (as the examples mentioned) are in their 20s (though Delos is more of a made-my-money-and-living-the-good-life story than others) and may (like Delos) or may not (like most others) have access to a sizable "cruising kitty" and choose in turn to go young, go now, and worry about the money as needs arise.

CG2.0 has no significant memory of life without the internet. Perhaps they don't always need connection, but they know that any information they require is readily available once they see the wifi bars. Need motor repair? No problem, either we'll find a guy locally or we'll find wifi to google our way out of most of the diagnostic cost and just pay for the physical repair. Or better yet we'll do all the diagnostics and just pay for the machine shop work we can't do on board the boat.

CG2.0 also has little memory of true economic hardships, and they are the better for it (in my opinion). They were not born in the 70's during the oil crunch and 15% mortgage rates, and they did not own property during the late 2000's real estate bubble burst. However they watched friends and family feel the effects of the late 2000s bust and have a very pragmatic view of the "American Dream". *note - for those of you who are not American, I apologize. Forward funds to cover a 6 month tour of your wonderful country and I promise to edit this post to include your point of view. And I am quite sincere in that offer In the meantime since I currently cannot afford to leave the USA, you get the singular viewpoint."

CG2.0 is not a retiree looking for the good life aboard their sailboat while budgeting their retirement to afford the maximum enjoyment before old age forces them back on land for permanent retirement/hospice. Sorry if that's depressing but a significant portion of sailing cruisers fall in that category (more's the pity).

CG2.0 is a an individual (or even family) who is willing to give up the American (or replace with your country here) Dream of a house, 2 cars, and a timeshare at the beach. In return they are looking for a connection to a less materialistic life, experiences with down to earth people, and a reason for being that doesn't revolve around possessions.

That's enough of my neo-hippy rant. More importantly, what oil should I be using, what anchor is best, and are Hunters really the death traps that everyone claims them to be?
Thanks for the elaboration. Nice but wasn't really necessary. In the OP it sounded a bit like CG2 was referring to a website or forum or something similar. Just needed to understand that CG2 is a label for a group or type of sailor/cruiser, like baby boomer or genx. goth or grunge, etc.
Old 19-09-2014, 13:03   #23

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Too bad stuffers is gone. You coulda dropped by to start some trouble with Sully!

Nice to see you around.

Ralph
LOL.

Thanks Ralph!

Still remember your kind words to me there back in the day.
Old 19-09-2014, 13:05   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
as a member of arguably CG3 (and one of your oldy-moldies), I would say you've way undershot the mark. Of course, that's way off your real topic, but more fun for us oldies to take shots at.

CG1 - the likes of Josh Slocum
CG2 - the like of Stanley (not Skip) Dashew, maybe Sterling Hayden, the SSCA founders
CG3 - the cruisers (and hippies) of the '70s, that first 'big' generation of cruisers that went places where there was more than one cruising boat in the anchorage. You could throw Skip and Linda Dashew in here.

Nahh. Josh wasn't a cruiser. He was the prototypical hardcore monster of sailing. I might throw you a bone on StanStern - but they are still tied, as pioneers of course, to the '70s and even '80s which are all CG1.0.

CG2.0 is correct.

Whitebread nailed it above.
Old 19-09-2014, 13:09   #25
cruiser

Quote:
At this point, if you're still confused, consider yourself solidly in the old/lonely/bitter camp

And if you're wondering, the "Be Happy"/"Mr Happy"/"Pac-Man-ish" face above is a "smilie", or "emoticon", or "emoji" - meant to inflict emotion upon a typed sentence. The concept is a bit after my time but I can still see the wave crest in the distance

Back on point, GoPro is (unfortunately) the quick/easy solution right now. Swann offers better bang-for-buck for most people wanting decent HD youtube vides, but comparing flat out specs apples to apples GoPro wins out. All of them suck for audio though, unless you spend $$ for fragile external audio mic. At which point, why bother with the cheap/rugged GoPro in the first place? Fisheye sucks compared to any decent wide angle lens anyway.

That is all....
Okay- - thanks white. That's great feedback.
Old 19-09-2014, 13:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Nahh. Josh wasn't a cruiser. I might throw you a bone on StanStern - but they are still tied to the '70s and even '80s which are all CG1.0.

CG2.0 is correct.
If you have any agreement with whitebread then more like 1.0.1a, as his description pretty much nails all the cruisers of the '70s (the ones that are now your bitter old men), with a few new bells and whistles thrown on top (but only marginally changing the overall look and feel of the whole thing).
Old 19-09-2014, 13:37   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
If you have any agreement with whitebread then more like 1.0.1a, as his description pretty much nails all the cruisers of the '70s (the ones that are now your bitter old men), with a few new bells and whistles thrown on top (but only marginally changing the overall look and feel of the whole thing).
Less of the bitter old men.

Try "Life wearied"............
Old 19-09-2014, 13:37   #28

smackdaddy,

Perhaps look for a bluetooth/wifi remote mike setup.Prolly you'll have to do dome research-googgle "remote mic hero/gopro"

All the Best
Old 19-09-2014, 14:16   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Hunters rock.

When a Hunter 49 (S/V Sequitur) took an F10-11 storm off Cape Horn in stride with no real damage, that whole debate was snuffed.
Old 19-09-2014, 14:18   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Carrot Top and no Pam Anderson
Who are these people? CG1s?
Closed Thread