Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 12:58   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken on Satori View Post
First, learn to sail. Learn seamanship. Get experience before going transpac. Too many people want "experiences" without working for it. I have no respect for anyone who would put rescue folk at risk for their "adventure". Not saying you intend to but still a point to be made.Ken
I think you have me false, for I am a decent if spoiled sailor with 1000+ nautical miles under my belt. I have spent the majority of them on a 48' Hans Christian, under the direction of my uncle. I have always enjoyed our excursions and wish to continue on my own, but lack the basic knowledge of the variety of boats.

I think you meant well and to be sure your caution is of merit. I do thank you however for your advice of the vessels.
snupspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 13:46   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
you are in oregon--would you like to communicate with me regarding a project i am working on and with which i could use some aid and crew ??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43   #18

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by snupspangler View Post
Thank you Greg,

I appreciate your response as it has made me see that I have not been as accurate as I could have been. I have the $10,000 and 3 years of time and possibly $10,000 more to put into her. I will say that I am a very handy craftsman and I will make the inside to suit my needs so I am more concerned with the overall handling/rigging/size.

Greg, what is your favorite cruiser under 35'?
If you are handy, you should be able to do it no doubt in my mind. There are tonnes of good solid Boat out there to be had for very little money particular if less then 30 ft. Of course you have to do your own homework and Brokers and Surveyors are basically out.

Took me a very long time to find the right Yacht and in the end I bought 10ft longer and spend twice the money for the purchase then what I had intendet. I am still fixing all the little and many things I did not like. Well as I said one has to be handy to get it the way one really wants it but for myself it is really fun to get her ready for the bluewater cruise.

With tenacity and a bit of Good Luck, you will find her.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:07   #19

Quote:
There are a ton of just what you're looking for!! I'd sail quite a few of them to Hawaii with some time to go through things. Try this search on yachtworld.

(Sail) Boats For Sale

Click the link man! Check out the Islander 30 in San Diego! Be very careful with inboard gasoline engines, but this boat looks (get a survey) like it needs some extra water tankage and off you go...
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote