Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 13:06   #1

Advice&help needed to make up our minds

Hey guys and girls, we need some help making up our minds about a monohull or cat to do some cruizing. A few months ago we purchased a 36.5 ft Dean Cat that is in excellent condition with new motors as well, everythings new on her,new winches ect ect. Originally we purchased her to sail around SA,but absolutely fell in love with sailing and now we want to sail the world and live aboard. The problem is she is a little small when family would want to come and visit. It will be me,my wife and 4 year old daughter living aboard. We would really appreciate everyones opinion on which boat and why and the positives and negatives around the options of boats. We love diving and love a good sail and we think outside space is also important. But like everything in live we have a budget of more and less 180k. We are now looking at a admiral 38-40ft cat 2004 and a beneteau ocean 43ft monohull 2011. Your opinions on which living aboard boat ( Any boat ) and nice to sail boat would be of great value!!!! Which would you prefer for living aboard a cat or monohull and why??!
Gunther wurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 13:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Advice&help needed to make up our minds

Oh boy, this could get ugly very quickly

OK, I'll kick off. Definitely a cat for space, comfort and performance, both at sea and at anchor.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 13:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice&help needed to make up our minds

You've owned a Cat..
You've loved the experience..
Why change to a mono..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 14:01   #4

I just think you can get a newer monohull boat with newer equipment for the same money as an older cat. I think the bigger cats with higher bridgedeck will sail better than the Dean? I dont like the water slam. I have sailed the Elane 43ft monohull and loved the way it sailed. I am just afraid of space outside. I want a boat that sails also good but then you look at bigger cats and they are very expensive
Old 23-12-2016, 15:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther wurth View Post
Hey guys and girls, we need some help making up our minds about a monohull or cat to do some cruizing. A few months ago we purchased a 36.5 ft Dean Cat that is in excellent condition with new motors as well, everythings new on her,new winches ect ect. Originally we purchased her to sail around SA,but absolutely fell in love with sailing and now we want to sail the world and live aboard. The problem is she is a little small when family would want to come and visit. It will be me,my wife and 4 year old daughter living aboard. We would really appreciate everyones opinion on which boat and why and the positives and negatives around the options of boats. We love diving and love a good sail and we think outside space is also important. But like everything in live we have a budget of more and less 180k. We are now looking at a admiral 38-40ft cat 2004 and a beneteau ocean 43ft monohull 2011. Your opinions on which living aboard boat ( Any boat ) and nice to sail boat would be of great value!!!! Which would you prefer for living aboard a cat or monohull and why??!
A better question to ask would relate to the experiences of buying a cruising boat to accommodate visitors and how did the expectations turn out in reality.
justwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 15:26   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Your first stated reason to change was the need for more space.

A Cat will give you that
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 08:56   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

[QUOTE...... A few months ago we purchased a 36.5 ft Dean Cat ....... We are now looking at a admiral 38-40ft cat 2004 and a beneteau ocean 43ft monohull 2011. [/QUOTE]

It seems to me that you misjudge the space on monohull vs. cat.
In my opinion to compare a cat to a monohull by length you need to add about 40-50% to the cat's length to get equal space, i.e. your current Dean is way more roomier than the 43ft vessel you consider.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:54   #8

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Cat space is very different than monohull space. Berths on monohulls are sometimes more comfortable and sometimes not. It depends on the particular boat. The same length cat, though, has much more usable "living" space but IME smaller cats are cramped in the amas for berths and heads. Costs of cats rise very quickly with length.

I have a monohull right now and one of the big reasons is the cost of moorage in marinas (for now while not offshore). Cat moorage is double for the same length. That's not a problem in anchorages. I can't speak to Med-tie style moorage cost. But moorage cost is usually not as big a factor offshore cruising.

Getting hauled can be a challenge for bigger cats from what I have heard. Big countries with lots of marinas it should be no problem. But smaller countries it might be if they don't have suitable lifts.

The reason cats seem so attractive to me, other than their seakindlyness, is the "public" space in the salon and the aft deck. Even a small cat has better socializing space than the same size mono.

One big factor on cats is two engines versus one. Cost and labor (yours or mechanics) is double. Wiring is a bit more complicated and controls are duplicated, thruhulls, etc.

As noted, the same length cat is way more expensive to buy than a mono other things being equal such as quality, age, condition.

I like cats and I like monohulls. They are just different in some ways, pro and con, depending on what is important to you.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:38   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	1482604530966.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	138446Click image for larger version

Name:	1482604546365.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	138447Click image for larger version

Name:	1482604560555.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	138448Click image for larger version

Name:	1482604581506.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	138449Click image for larger version

Name:	1482604656336.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	138450Click image for larger version

Name:	1482604676165.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	138451
Old 24-12-2016, 13:27   #10

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

No enough dissension so far, so I'll add these thoughts:

Space = cat. Comfort = cat, most conditions. Safety = mono, usually, and particularly in the extremes of sea and wind. Draft = guess (oh, come on, it ain't difficult). Costs in a marina = mono. Cruising overall = mono. Maintenance ease/cost = mono (but I have no real basis). Over all costs = probably a mono. Available expertise = mono. Now I am bored and want to see the action.

I should add, I like cats when they belong to others, sailing on them for comfort, and only in the mild, not the wild.
Old 24-12-2016, 14:27   #11

Boat: Liberty 458

Your budget is the limiting factor.

You also don't mention if you do your own maintenance or not.

These factors will determine what you can afford.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 14:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
One big factor on cats is two engines versus one. Cost and labor (yours or mechanics) is double.
I agree with everything else you said, but most cat owners don't run both engines very often - generally only when mooring/anchoring or getting in and out of a marina. The rest of the time, we alternate engines, so cost and labour are not much more than with a single engine.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 18:29   #13

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Adding another albeit very personal consideration, that being aesthetics, that consideration must go to the correctly chosen monohull.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 00:41   #14

Boat: Prout_Catamarans Snowgoose 37 Elite
Wink Re: Advice&help needed to make up our minds

One boat, much better than a half one......
sistef51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 06:48   #15

NO ONE WILL EVER VISIT. they all want to, but they never do. If they ever were to visit, they can stay in a hotel or you can rough it for a few days. But they won't.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote