Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 20:55   #31

Re: Advice

If your plan is to not sit still, you will need the solar panels even less. I think you will be surprised at how much you use an engine(ie battery charger) even when you are cruising. I lived for almost eight years on only an hour a day of engine running, for all of the electricity I needed, all of the refrigeration I needed, and hot water for showers. Once in a long while on very hot days, I might run the engine for a half hour in the afternoon to keep things frozen. I am just suggesting that you might have a better idea of where you want your panels after you have sailed the boat for a year or so. You might put a few extra hours on your engine before you install panels, but it might make for a much more practical installation if you get a bit more experience before you make decisions. Just another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 07:20   #32

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I appericate your two cents belive me...cant get over all the help i am getting... I have had the boat now going on its 4th yr and all along i have been working toward this plan...I think i will go ahead and istall the solar mainly as a back up...and if things work out a side trip over to the islands..but that is an opition.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:05   #33

Boat: PSC 34

So ,Hank who do you talk to to get a tie up at Boca Chia( I am ret. AF also). I am heading down from Maine next fall. Al
Old 14-02-2014, 07:17   #34

Hank
on my last 3 trips down the ICW. I did not spend one night in a marina. When you stop for fuel you can fill you water tanks and pump out. Have fun
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:45   #35

Boat: Dawson / Pro Cat

Hank, if you need some help before you set sale send me a pm I will help install your panels or if you need something fadricated for a windless I could do that for you. I hope you go ahead with that dream of yours!
shane malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:47   #36

Thanks motion30...how did u resupply u r food locker or did u carry enough with u and or did u only stop where such facilities were available...I do plan on doing some trial runs and even off shore and with someone that will allowe me to do all and sit back and watch making sure i dont get into trouble...I did a northeaster here about a yr ago and encounter some 4' 6' stuff...saw elvis a few time and even talked to him once..
Old 14-02-2014, 08:01   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

great idea -- yea stay in the ditch -- we have a 40' and when in the ditch we figured we could do about 50 miles a day -- we did not do fla and went outside there for a lot of it --
once in miami area you have to go outside but not much as hawks channel is very good way to stay out of ocean slop
if you can get your hands on capt bobs icw guide it is worth it's weight in gold - not sure it is in print any more
at some marinas you can come in to the fuel dock and get fuel water and pump out and then move off the dock and anchor out -- just a bit of fore planning and a shorter day would do it --
hope all goes well and enjoy the ride and good luck to you
AND PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:21   #38

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Advice

Question for you old ditch warriors: just how bad is Georgia? I haven't been able to find a positive comment about GA beyond the scenery.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:32   #39

Boat: islandpacket

I thought GA was great. Not as many facilities but no problems.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-02-2014, 08:37   #40

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I have great stories about Thunderbolt Georgia but not going to post them here. Long story short if you look at the charts you'll see that the intercoastal zigzags all over the place and has very little places to stop ( tons of places to anchor) and visit but the nature is beautiful. And if its still not totally polluted there were tons of oysters,crab,shrimp... and my experience may be different than others but the water police were so polite they kinda freaked me out! Edit. give credit where its due. it was the sheriff in Thunderbolt. But this was like 10 years ago maybe 15
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:42   #41

Boat: O'Day 28

Thanks gents. Good to hear. Lots of anchorages is music to my ears. I bought Skipper Bob's no prob. Been having bad thoughts about barge traffic in tight places.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 09:09   #42

Wow this is great...i was worried about Ga.,, and at one point considered going out and comming in at st Mary's or even jacksonville...Just for some of u that are or will be leaving in the fall...there is a gathering here in New Bern in oct and it is put on by the crusing folks and trust me its so worth u while...i went last year and there were i would say 90 or so folks of which most were headed down the ditch..Mark Doyle was there and gave out a world of information along with Wally Moran...and others..on the keys and islands...trust me u better not miss the next one..
Old 14-02-2014, 09:19   #43

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Hank...have you downloaded "Active Captain" yet...? This has some of the best current info available....there is a abundance of info travelling the ICW....the maps are awesome.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 09:26   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Speaking of which.. is he still a member..?
Have not seen any posts by him for ages...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 09:29   #45

I have downloaded it but not sure if its working all that well....all i get is a a chart and when u zoom in it goes blurr