Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34   #1

Adding additional forestay

Has anyone any experience adding an additional forestay for a hanked on storm job on an Alberg 30 or similar vessel? Wondering about stresses on foredeck.
Merlin1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:53   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Adding additional forestay

IMO, the additional stresses on the foredeck can be accounted for fairly easily by the addition of strong backs or additional framing in hull area immediately below the intended attachment point.

More problematical (IMO) is the additional stresses on the mast unless you are planing the top attachment on the mast head. Placing the new forestay any lower usually means fitting running backstays or other methods to maintain the mast "in column".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:27   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

What type of "additional forestay" are you considering. Is it a double headstay - two forestays side by side? Or an inner forestay attached several feet aft of the stemhead?
Assuming it is the later, then there is likely no support for the deck fitting and something will have to be added. Wotname pointed out the options for an inner forestay mast attachment - near the masthead requiring no running backstays (often referred to as a Solent Stay) - or attached well below the masthead, with the stay parallel to the forestay, usually requiring running backstays.
If you are considering this for an Alberg 30, i believe there is an active owners group for that boat. I've got to believe more than one Alberg 30 owner has done what you are considering. I recommend you contact them.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 00:01   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have a very similar boat and I believe your bulkhead is close to where you'd anchor your deck fitting. I would think that a solid piece of 2x4 oak immediately forward of the bulkhead, and/or bolted to it, that spans the beam there might do the trick. I have thought of doing the same thing but I am not so sure how much we will gain with our boats over just hanking on a storm jib on the headstay. I hope some folks who have done it will respond here. Were you thinking of going with a trysail as well?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote