Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 18:05   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Adding a single-line reefing system?

I have an Albin Vega 27 with a 3 reefing points in the main. I almost always depart with the first reef, and occasionally throw in the second reef when I see a squall coming, or am coming out of the lee of an island. Third reef hasn't seen much use yet, but I'm happy to have it.

However, I find it more than inconvenient to put my reefs in. The current reefing system is pretty standard, with a hook at the goose-neck, and lines that run to the clew reefing points, down to the boom, and back to cleats on the boom near the mast. As a single-hander, the less I have to fumble on deck the better, especially when I'm putting in a reef after things have already gotten bad.

To that end, I have been thinking of devising a single-line system and running everything back toward the cockpit.

Does anyone have experience with such systems, and if so, what are your suggestions?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 18:40   #2

Re: Adding a single-line reefing system?

I've been reviewing the reefing on our boat. I read up on a few different arrangements of "single line". One comment that stood out is that one user found that they felt they couldn't apply enough tension on the clew with the single line.

For now I'm staying with separate lines so that I can tweak the tensions separately.

Only thing I can add - currently, if I need to put a reef in when conditions are getting interesting, and there's room, I will heave-to, which usually makes the trip to the mast easier. But being able to reef from the cockpit would be slick... if you have room on your cabintop for all those lines and clutches.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 19:06   #3

I had a slab reefing system on my 40 footer.

A line was attached to the side of the boom in the right place to be an out haul, & a down haul for the triple reefed main. It went up through a large smooth eye in the leach of the main, down to a cheek block on the other side of the boom, to a cheek block on the front of the boom, up through another eye in the main, then through another cheek block to a self tailing winch on the side of the boom.

I usually topped the boom up a bit to spill much of the wind in the main, then ease the halliard around it's winch as I wound in the reef. The bag of the reef would sit fairly quietly, & could be left if only for a short while, or tied in for long passages.

I found it excellent for single handing, & still gave you a reasonable shaped main.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 19:19   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

It depends on the system. I have a Selden single line reefing system and it works great! I was skeptical about it, but I let the salesman talk me into it, and I'm very glad I did.
Old 28-07-2017, 19:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have not had good luck with single line reefing on OP's boats. Too much friction and hangups that actually made reefing way more work and trips on deck. Possibly a problem with their setups. Went with double line reefing, one line for the clew and another for the tack, on my boats and it's worked a charm. Easy to pull down the tack with it's line then haul in the clew with it's line.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 06:46   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Double line system is the way to go. And if you prefer it, it's easy enough to lead the lines back to the cockpit, along with the halyard. Adds a lot of hardware though if you do, not that that's necessarily bad. Just figured you should know.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:25   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen single line reefing done pretty well on some smaller mains. It seems to be doable with a small main and one reef only.

Otherwise my own preference is separate lines fore and aft and led to the cockpit (only because we are sailing very open waters and often reef in complete darkness and lots of roll).

Looking up close at a newish Selden mast, I noticed there are purchase blocks inside the boom. Now should this go South at any point, imagine the mess.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 10:07   #8

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

I don't remember which book I read it in but the author suggested have the 1st reef separate and the second and third using a single line. The reasoning is the weather isn't too bad when the first reef is needed. This method simplifies the single line for when you need it most.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 12:11   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We have a 40 footer - mainsail is 48 sq meters and we have single line reefing on reef 2 and reef 3.

Reef 1 is the oldfashioned way with a line from the clew (to the cockpit) and a hook on the front.

Because we double hand, on passages the one of us is always sleeping or engaged in something else so in effect we singlehand. The single line reefing has worked well for us since we installed it about 15000nm ago. Served us well crossing the pond and all around the caribbean

more room on our coach roof than yours though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 16:12   #10

Boat: Gulf 32

I vote for double line reefing, and if you want just run all the lines back to the cockpit. I set up single line reefing on our small 20' trailer sailor and even then it's got a lot of friction in it and it's hard to get everything tight enough so I don't have strain on the lines that hold the bundled main (what the h*ll are those called, can't remember).

We did double line reefing on our Gulf 32 and are much happier with it, it feels much more secure to me.

-- Bass
Old 30-07-2017, 07:07   #11

Boat: Lagoon 40

My experience on a 42 ft with single line is that friction on the single line system meant that you could not get good tension on both ends of the system, which meant we had to go out of the cockpit to manually adjust. When we re-gigged we went to a 2-line system. This obviously means more lines, but we still got them to the cockpit and have much better control.
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 15:16   #12

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I have a single line reefing on my Albin Vega with two reef pointsand I find it is too much friction to run smoothly. I have blocks and cheek blocks at every point except where the line runs thru the grommets on the luff and leach and thats where things go south. I end up going to the mast anyway to feed the lines thru. I recommend double lines running to the cockpit.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 16:19   #13

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

We have had single line reefing on the Freedom 40 , both main and mizzen, for 20+ years. System worked well except real pain taking reefs out because of friction with the inside the boom tackles. Last year we reworked entire system removing in boom tackles and taking great pains to reduce friction every chance. NEW SYSTEM WORKS GREAT . One of the biggest friction sources we overcame was to have blocks sewn to the luff reef points instead of trying to turn the line 180 degrees thru a pressed ring.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 20:36   #14

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

We have a single line for each of two reefing points both leading back to the cockpit. We use a set of blocks at the reef cringles along the luff. Check blocks and pad eyes on the boom. The PO had a jiffy reef set up as well, but I removed that. Too many lines and not necessary for myself even solo sailing (she started looking like an assisted living bathroom with all the grab rails and such).
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 06:56   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For those who've written of sewing blocks into their sails for reefing. I'm curious as to why you went this route as opposed to say, attaching a low friction ring to the clew & tack cringles with spectra lashings or loops? Though yes, the Antal clew reefing blocks definetly command a cool factor.

Also, in terms of "sewing" blocks onto the sail at the tack reefing points. Are the blocks literally sewn onto the fabric of the sail, in a manner aking to a cheek block? And if so, would you not get binding issues from the sail attempting to twist as load is applied to the reefing line?

I can definitely see attaching blocks or low friction rings to the tack cringles themselves, or via strops run through the cringles, via lashings, etc. But am uncertain as to how to successfully sew reefing blocks on in this location. So some clarification would be helpful, thanks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single