Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 07:37   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Adding a single-line reefing system?

I do not like those blocks. I hate anything that is hard and heavy at the leach of the main.

If you ever have to go and handle a situation with a flogging main you can easily get incapacitated if such a thing gets you in the face.

Been there, done that. Only light leeches and full battens for me. Our reef rings were SS/plastic inlay. Nearly as kind and frictionless as modern day antal rings. Rutgerson made them, I think.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:42   #17

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
For those who've written of sewing blocks into their sails for reefing. I'm curious as to why you went this route as opposed to say, attaching a low friction ring to the clew & tack cringles with spectra lashings or loops? Though yes, the Antal clew reefing blocks definetly command a cool factor.

Also, in terms of "sewing" blocks onto the sail at the tack reefing points. Are the blocks literally sewn onto the fabric of the sail, in a manner aking to a cheek block? And if so, would you not get binding issues from the sail attempting to twist as load is applied to the reefing line?

I can definitely see attaching blocks or low friction rings to the tack cringles themselves, or via strops run through the cringles, via lashings, etc. But am uncertain as to how to successfully sew reefing blocks on in this location. So some clarification would be helpful, thanks.
I did not go to the trouble of sewing in the blocks. Rather they are
through the cringle with with a swivel shackle on the back side holding them at the cringle.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:08   #18

Boat: Island Packet 35

Just came back from a 2 week trip, had to reef several times during the trip as I would normally expect to do, reefing done on deck at the mast. For 1st and 2nd reefing I don't see what the big deal is to go up on deck, isn't that part of being a sailor? I enjoy the activeness of moving around the boat plus not having all that clutter of lines in the cockpit and on deck. 3rd reef I can see conditions being rough and there would be some convenience and safety to performing in the cockpit, I have contemplated running this one back to cockpit. Also may even make you reef earlier rather than latter when conditions are worst, yes I know there are many unexpected situations.
Seems like we are continually trying to reduce or eliminate the functions of being a sailor maybe too much. Unless there is a physical issue for going on deck, then that is a different matter. JMO!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Just came back from a 2 week trip, had to reef several times during the trip as I would normally expect to do, reefing done on deck at the mast. For 1st and 2nd reefing I don't see what the big deal is to go up on deck, isn't that part of being a sailor? I enjoy the activeness of moving around the boat plus not having all that clutter of lines in the cockpit and on deck. 3rd reef I can see conditions being rough and there would be some convenience and safety to performing in the cockpit but still this can be safely carried out on deck. Also may even make you reef earlier rather than latter when conditions are worst, yes I know there are many unexpected situations.
Seems like we are continually trying to reduce or eliminate the functions of being a sailor maybe too much. Unless there is a physical issue for going on deck, then that is a different matter. JMO!!
Guess I'm not a "Real Sailor"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	real sailor.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	153102  
Old 31-07-2017, 09:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bucknut View Post
Guess I'm not a "Real Sailor"
Hey don't take it personal, just an opinion!!
Old 31-07-2017, 09:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Hey don't take it personal, just an opinion!!
No worries I'm not. Just remember , some of these folks are sailing well into their 80's and maybe even beyond and can use all the tricks they can to still get out and in safely.

Good winds to ya!
Old 31-07-2017, 10:31   #22

That's why I added "unless there are physical reasons". Not my intentions to say what one should or shouldn't do on their boat. But offering another view point sometimes lends with making decisions. Cheers!!

Tags
single