Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 03:09   #1

Boat: slowly designing a worldcruiser for early retirement
Adaptions for disabilities?

The most important requirement back in any previous age of sail was an able bodied crew... I was curious how much modern technology, automation and similar has helped change that, if it has. :-P

This is not too specific nor personal of a question just yet, other than i'm not exactly able bodied but hope to fix that by the time i'd actually start sailing. (which is years off) HOWEVER it made me curious about the topic and wondering if people had any interesting anecdotes of things to share including inspirational stories (first person in a wheelchair to singlehand the straight of magellan, i dont know, i've no clue what stories are even out there) overcoming difficulties and obstacles, and re-engineering things to work for their special needs.

And yes i'm primarily referring to crew or self-crewed. A passenger who just stays 'indoors' the whole voyage isn't really being asked to do too much. This is about legitimately doing the work side of sailing and helping as much as possible or even doing it all despite being a bit physically screwed up and not so mobile.
black_sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:51   #2

Boat: 33' Nonsuch
Re: Adaptions for disabilities?

This guy really inspired and impressed me:

Abby Normal | The Shipping News | TownDock.net, Oriental NC
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:56   #3

Yes, there are things you can do. One of my best cruising buddies only had one leg. He opted for a trimaran for the stability and he put steps up the mast that were double what you would normally see. He did a circumnavigation and then built a 50 foot catamaran and did a transatlantic in that boat. He is somewhere off sailing now in another trimaran. There are many modern sailing aids that were not available a few decades ago, but can make sail handling much easier as long as they dont break down. There has been a few books on sailors with disabilities, but if you read Triston Jones, believe about 10% of it and the other 90% is horse pucky. My opinion would be to pick up a small boat and start your learning curve. Just big enough to be reasonably stable, but not that requires a lot of strength (or money) or manuverability. Get some lessons and learn how to rig your boat for your particular disability, and have fun. I hope it all works out for you. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 16:32   #4

Boat: Vagabond 14

Able bodied = able to get the work done.

That might include missing a hand a leg and an eye... (stereotypical pirate)

Half of the battle for dealing with any physical issues is finding ways to overcome them and move on.

Coming from a one legged fat guy with one hand that doesn't work quite right. But I'm sailing solo anyway (even if it is a small boat)

Yes, I'm doing some stuff to the boat to make it easier. But it would make it easier for anyone.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:42   #5

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

There are tons of possibilities. There is or was a blind man circumnavigating solo not all that long ago. Look up adaptive sailing. He is a favorite of mine. Most folks that I know with some for of disability prefer differently abled. 😉

http://www.seasheboygan.org/steves-voyage-new-video/

Good luck!

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:07   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

There are actually boats designed specifically for sailors with disabilities.

UNFORTUNATELLY some idiots at IPC decided these sailors will not compete in Tokyo!

Paralympic sailing to be dropped for Tokyo 2020 Games - Yachting World

I am extremely pissed off angry with such attitudes. End of rant.

Maybe because I have worked for a guy who drove a big cruising power cat and a smaller 40 knots power sports cat all by himself from, his wheel chair.

I think, in cruising terms, the boat will be prepared individualy by the sailor, to reflect any limitations they may be experiencing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 14:04   #7

Boat: slowly designing a worldcruiser for early retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
There are tons of possibilities. There is or was a blind man circumnavigating solo not all that long ago. Look up adaptive sailing. He is a favorite of mine. Most folks that I know with some for of disability prefer differently abled. 😉

Steve’s Voyage – New Video

Good luck!

SC
Thats amazing though how do you keep watch and avoid hitting other vessels closer to shore. :-P I could understand steering and aiming something on the open ocean but not everything shows up on radar.
black_sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:03   #8

Look at what the baads.org sailors use, anyone who knows how to sail can get out there with a boat modified for them.
If I were you I would go join or volunteer for an organization in your area like them. See if you like sailing enough and figure out if the lifestyle is for you.

If you do I would go with a cat, either for cruising or living aboard and local cruising.

Dinghy sailing is my favorite. Stable with a wide, open cockpit is what works for me so that I can lay down when need be.
Rigging can be a strenuous task. I'd like to find a super light hull and a gaff rig so that I don't need help. Finding a dink that reefs is also super important to having limited mobility or pain issues, otherwise you may only want to go out on light to moderately breezy days.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote