Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2015, 18:24   #1

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Abandoned Yacht Drifts to Norfolk Island

The yacht Enya 2 abandoned off Lord Howe Island has drifted to Norfolk Island and was towed in yesterday and now anchored off Cascade.

Back on dry land in Cairns – yachtsman thanks rescuers after ordeal at sea | Cairns Post

I wonder what percentage of abandoned yachts stay afloat?

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 21:06   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Abandoned Yacht Drifts to Norfolk Island

No idea of the percentage, but of all the boats lost in the Queen's Birthday Storm in June 1994, one was sunk deliberately, the rest of the abandoned ones floated until they ran into something or were rescued by others.

I'll venture to guess that fatigue played a big part in Enya's skipper's decision to abandon. Had he been rested, I believe he could have re-gained control of the boom, at least enough to drop the sail; at which point, he could have continued, slowly, and resting. But I wasn't there, don't really want to second guess him, either. Jim has managed to deal with a runaway boom, and we managed, but we have double preventers permanently rigged, so there's an easy way to control it.

Ann
Old 24-06-2015, 23:16   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Enya 2 was craned out onto Cascade pier this afternoon. Apart from the loss of boom and main ,and a good crop of barnacles she looks OK.
Nice and dry down below after drifting for so many months.
I expect they will clean her up , do whatever is necessary and she will sail again!

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 21:40   #4

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Years ago when I was commercial fishing for salmon out of Cordova, Alaska, one of the guys in the fleet got caught outside Cape
Saint Elias in a blow - a nasty place almost anytime - and fearing the boat would capsize in the steep breaking seas, put out a mayday. The Coast Guard flew out in a helo and did a rescue. Two Weeks later the captain had just purchased a new gill netter to take north to finish the season when his insurance company called and said -" come pick up your boat". Someone found it and towed it back to Cordova. The tea kettle was still on stove...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 22:54   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

I have to wonder how many abandonments are due to fatigue brought on by sea sickness rather than significant risk to life. Having weathered a series of typhoons while supporting NOAA scientists on a Navy warship continually for weeks, it was very clear that many of the sailors had a much more difficult time of the constant wearying pitching and rolling than others, and it was strongly correlated to sea sickness.

We had guys who were completely incapacitated by it and wouldn't have been able to take care of themselves or a boat. One of my shipmates was down for two weeks and had to be hydrated by IV because he couldn't even keep water down.

If you haven't experienced it or seen it, I think it would be hard to understand how bad it can get.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 23:40   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I've seen it. Yes it can be life threatening, believe it or not. I haven't heard of anyone dying from it, but I can sure imagine it. Many years ago I set out with a friend for Hawaii from Santa Barbara. He knew he had a problem with sea-sickness but believed he would get over it. 2 and a half days out and he still had not gotten out of his bunk, he had not been drinking, eating or using the head. So I was singlehanding with someone who's condition was bad and getting worse. When I finally said I think it's better to head back, he agreed without hesitation, but he remained in his bunk until we arrived back home. It took him a while to really recover. Just recently on a 24 hour delivery I had to drop off the owner and his friend about half way because they were just too sick to really go on, and they have been on many shorter trips with me before. Dramamine, Bonine or whatever, if it works, take it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht