Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 09:56   #1

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
A twist on "The best blue water boat" question.

There seems to be no shortage of threads asking "what is the best blue water boat". I want to turn the question around and ask what can I do to my boat to make it make it a better blue water boat.

Im five years into a total refit of a 20 ton 1989 50 ft Roberts Steel Ketch with a 14.5 ft beam and a 6 ft draft. Its a chine hull abrasive blasted inside and out, rust welded up or cut out and replaced, primed with amercoat 240, the keel is 5/16, the bottom chine is 1/4 inch, middle is 3/16 and top chine is 1/8, closed cell spray foam throughout above water line, full keel with 8500 lbs of lead in the keel, new rudder, enclosed wheel house and a second helm in cockpit, aft section of keel has two 100 gallon fuel tanks, three more 85 gallon fuel tanks inside, redundant hydraulic steering, 85 gallon water tank with water maker, diesel stove, all (3/8) chain rode, twin windlass, one 12V the other will be hudraulic as well as the bow thruster, sleeps four in V berth, two in salon, one in wheel house and two in aft quarters. Single head with Purasan treatment. New bronze sea cocks. All of the inside surface of the hull not covered in foam is easy to inspect
All of that is finished or in progress.

Still yet to decide on...the engine, laundry, refirgeration, scuba compressor and nav electronics.

Any thoughts?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 10:04   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: A wist on "The best blue water boat" question.

That's a pretty big question and I won't get in to that, but I if it were me I would want a way to use the toilet without the Purasan, i.e. a holding tank and a way to bypass it. I don't know the Purasan in particular but all of them break and most people don't keep spares. And wherever you go, no one wants you to pump directly outside unless pretty far offshore.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 10:07   #3

Re: A twist on "The best blue water boat" question.

I can pump directly overboard, thru the purasan then overboard, or into the holding tank.
Old 17-02-2015, 13:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
There seems to be no shortage of threads asking "what is the best blue water boat". I want to turn the question around and ask what can I do to my boat to make it make it a better blue water boat.

Im five years into a total refit of a 20 ton 1989 50 ft Roberts Steel Ketch with a 14.5 ft beam and a 6 ft draft. Its a chine hull abrasive blasted inside and out, rust welded up or cut out and replaced, primed with amercoat 240, the keel is 5/16, the bottom chine is 1/4 inch, middle is 3/16 and top chine is 1/8, closed cell spray foam throughout above water line, full keel with 8500 lbs of lead in the keel, new rudder, enclosed wheel house and a second helm in cockpit, aft section of keel has two 100 gallon fuel tanks, three more 85 gallon fuel tanks inside, redundant hydraulic steering, 85 gallon water tank with water maker, diesel stove, all (3/8) chain rode, twin windlass, one 12V the other will be hudraulic as well as the bow thruster, sleeps four in V berth, two in salon, one in wheel house and two in aft quarters. Single head with Purasan treatment. New bronze sea cocks. All of the inside surface of the hull not covered in foam is easy to inspect

Still yet to decide on...the engine, laundry, refirgeration, scuba compressor and nav electronics.

Any thoughts?
Go sailing.
If you boat isn't able to, hitch a ride offshore with someone else.
You will answer your own question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130825_143615.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	97321  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 15:30   #5

Boat: kuiper 32

Sounds like a tough machine,as long as you can keep water out and the mast up you should be fine.I would make shutters for the bigger windows,Have a manual bilge pump inside somewhere.Then get out there and sail the first rough weather will find all your issues,ie leaking hatches loose gear etc.Good luck she sounds like a strong boat
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 15:40   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post

Any thoughts?
I think you're there.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 15:48   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Wow! Sounds like a great boat and a Hugh accomplishment so far. Pictures?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 19:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello Matt,

Equipping a big boat like that has so many possibilities.

Your avatar says your location is Tennessee. Where will the boat be sailing?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 19:24   #9

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Sounds very good!! How about the spars and standing rigging?
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 22:22   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

With your scuba compressor it depends on how you power it with petrol motor or AC power in which case you will need a genset.

If you have genset best to go with a power assist inverter /charger and its easy to handle washing machine / dryer / watermaker and AC in areas that need it later on.

Even if you have a genset fit as much solar as you can.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:09   #11

Thanks for the input. We are in Tennessee currently but when retirement finds me, Im outta here for parts unknown. After more thought, the scuba compressor will be belt driven off the front of the engine and just remove the belts when not in use.
For pictures check out my facebook page, just scroll down past all the baby pictures. :-)
I dont have the standing rigging yet. The barn she is in only has a 20 ft ceiling...LOL
Old 18-02-2015, 09:24   #12

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

What a great start on a tough boat!

Keep the remaining systems simple. That way you be less frustrated at sea and spend less time on repairs in port.

Everything breaks, so I make everything from hoses to turnbuckles to sheets and halyards over sized and I am rarely disappointed.

Check out some of the advice from Beth Leonard and Evans Starzinger on toughness and simplicity, bethandevans.com, or for tough and proven (but sometimes more costly or complex) solutions the AAC site. Attainable Adventure Cruising Spend a couple of bucks on the subscription, well worth it for good advice and no hyperbole.

If you use a semi closed circuit rebreather (special training and experience required) and stock up on Sorb and small oxygen and diluent tanks you can carry for dozens of dives on each cruise leg are likely to do more diving than with a compressor, since the compressor will misbehave as much as it works and parts are never quick or easy to get. I did this for years in the great lakes and would not have it any other way.

And as others have said, get out there!
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 09:35   #13

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

If you do run the compressor with an engine pulley, mount the compressor directly to the engine block. Otherwise you risk ruining the drive pulley on the engine or worse, the crank shaft.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 09:36   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

How about ensuring that your boat conforms to offshore racing safety standards such as these:

Equipment List | Northern California Ocean Racing Council
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 09:41   #15

Boat: Scout 30

For the engine I recommend Beta.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water