Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2011, 06:49   #1

Boat: Bristol 30
A Skipper’s Dream Outlives His Beloved 'Petrel'

When a wooden yacht called the Petrel was recently demolished on Martha’s Vineyard, two generations of sailors and boat enthusiasts blanched — including some on another island, Manhattan, where the yacht’s former owner used to offer $3.75 rides in New York Harbor.

That was Nick van Nes, a former Navy man with bright blue eyes who hoped in 1972 that his new company, Bring Sailing Back Inc., could introduce sailing to city dwellers who were not part of the upper-class set usually associated with yachting.

Mr. van Nes left Manhattan for Martha’s Vineyard in 2000, and several years later took the Petrel out of the water, leaving it at the top of a railway in an industrial part of Vineyard Haven, forlorn but still regal. “She was this incredibly massive, pretty object that appeared there one day,” said Ross Gannon, who builds and restores wooden boats in Vineyard Haven.

Legend has it that President John F. Kennedy once sailed the boat, which was built in 1938 by the famed naval architects Sparkman & Stephens, and even considered it for special use by the White House.

Last year, Mr. van Nes sold the Petrel to a German man, Olaf Kunkut, but the new owner found it would cost more to restore the aging boat than it would to simply rebuild it. So workers began harvesting parts to use in a new boat that will be built with the Petrel’s original plans.

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/us...es.html?src=tp
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 06:51   #2

Re: A Skipper’s Dream Outlives His Beloved 'Petrel'

A sad ending for a glorious yacht

Petrel, a familiar sight in Martha's Vineyard waters, as well as in the East River and Caribbean, came to an ignominious end this week in Vineyard Haven, when the 70-foot wooden yawl was ripped apart with heavy equipment and hauled away in dumpster loads.

The lead keel was salvaged, along with a few brass parts, which will go into a new vessel to be built from the original plans.

"There's a lot of good boat left, but by the time you finished a restoration, it would exceed the cost of building a new one," Tom George said. Mr. George is project manager for owner Olaf Kunkut of Germany. Mr. George will oversee construction of the new boat in Port Townsend, Washington.

"The boat has been in the family for a long time," said Nick Van Nes, a West Tisbury resident who sold the boat to Mr. Kunkut recently. Mr. Van Nes said he had repaired large sections of the vessel, but could no longer keep up with the expensive maintenance needed.

"It's the way of wooden boats. It was out of my hands, but not out of my heart," Mr. Van Nes said. "I sold it to somebody with the understanding that it would be renovated. But we talked about all the options."

The boat sat on the Vineyard Haven waterfront for three years, at the top of the R.M. Packer Company railway, as various options were evaluated. On Monday, a demolition crew tipped the boat over on her side and began salvaging a few parts.

Martha's Vineyard Times
A sad ending for a glorious yacht : The Martha's Vineyard Times
Old 16-11-2011, 06:53   #3

Historic Sailboat Demolished on Martha
Old 16-11-2011, 06:54   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Nice to see some the old girl being salvaged for reuse.
Old 16-11-2011, 08:41   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Not even the same, not even close...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 08:52   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

salvage is sad as loss--restoring is hope.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 09:20   #7

Sad. I would have thought if the new owner wanted to build a new boat he should have just done it. I'm sure someone would have bought the Petral. What a beautiful boat she was.
Old 16-11-2011, 09:33   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Charlie,

A friend once told me that there are only two kinds of people in the world, artists and scientists.

Scientists spend all their lives trying to explain beauty, artists already know.
Old 16-11-2011, 09:46   #9

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I sailed the "Gulfstream" originally "Alsumar" back in the 70's. We did alot of work on her then and sailed her through the canal & up to Long beach. Then went broke. She was eventually restored and is living in San Diego happily again so I've heard. Hell of a boat! 70' on deck, center board yawl, built in New York in 1934, S&S designed. I spent a couple of good years on that boat, got married aboard her 30 years ago this coming December. Im glad to know she is alive and well.
I find it hard to believe that someone couldnt have restored Petral. It brings me to tears!
I was also lucky enough to get to go sailing on the Shamrock V while in Monico in 1980. It had just undergone a 7 million dollar restoration in Italy. It was fully manned by a uniformed crew of 24. It took 22 men to furl the main sail. The boat was absolutely sparkling and gorgeous beyond belief. I didnt get to do anything - just sit in the cockpit and stay out of the way!
What a boat!
Good by Petral
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 10:28   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

True, I'm making damned sure that doesn't happen to either Seasmoke or our latest, Mele Makani: Welcome to the Mele Makani Web Page

Hopefully we have her in the yard and launched for whatever lucky patron steps up. She's ready to float except for engine installation and thru hulls. Mainly it's just cosmetic work to be done.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote