Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 06:00   #1

A Rookie Sailor looking for Vessel Advice

Hello Everyone,

I've recently received a new job that will provide enough to purchase a used sailboat and gives me the flexibility to work remotely, all I need is internet. I've decided to reach out to you guys to see what your recommendations are for a sailing vessel. So far we've looked at a Catalina 27 & 30, as well as a Hunter 31, but will totally consider others. Below is some information about me so you know what I'm trying to do. Thank you everyone! I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

Information:
I currently live in St Petersburg, FL and would like to spend at least year as liveaboard with my wife, two dogs, and a cat. I've never sailed anything over 16 feet, but it has always been my dream to do so. I myself am pretty handy, but am lacking in the diesel engine area, so I plan to enroll my wife and I in a basic course. Our current budget is really less than $23,000. After purchasing the boat, before living aboard we plan to sail the boat on the weekends until our lease runs out, and then make the plunge as a liveaboard. We would ideally like to see as much of the coastline as possible up to around North Carolina. We would love to make it to the Bahamas as well. The only must have requirement is the ability to have internet M-F 8-5 so that I can work, so I'm still trying to figure that one out.
skipperlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 06:27   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: A Rookie Sailor looking for Vessel Advice

Sounds like a great plan, but if you absolutely need the connection all the time, you’ll need to pick the right places to sit. Verizon and AT&T coverage has become quite good along most of the coastline (and a cell data connection is probably your best bet overall), but there are still holes. And where there are not holes, the connection speeds might not be what you’re used to if you’re now using cable or other landline service. Antenna signal boosters can help quite a bit (there are threads on this forum).

The Bahamas is a different problem. Mobile and data have improved in the out islands, but BTC (the provider) is down very frequently, often for days.

Satellite services would be more reliable (except when it’s raining!), but either very expensive, very slow, or both.

Perhaps others here have newer, better ideas. Hope this helps. Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 06:28   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Oh…and welcome aboard the forum!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 12:40   #4

Boat: Tayana 52

We use an AT&T wireless hot spot. Takes up to 5 devices and has good coastal coverage plus you can take it off the boat. $50 for 5GB so not cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 18:02   #5

Boat: PSC 37

A Catalina 30 would be a great boat for your plans. Inexpensive, sails well, lots around. You can go smaller too; I might recommend a Pearson 28.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 16-07-2015, 08:08   #6

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

We're in FL as well. If you want to survive down here, you'll need some form of A/C. If you plan to anchor out or keep your boat on a mooring, you'll need a generator if you want a/c while you sleep. A/C's can be built in and water-cooled or some folks use some form of companionway or hatch-fed system powered by a small Honda generator on deck.

A WELL MAINTAINED AND OFT USED DIESEL will be good for many many hours. USE A MARINE SURVEYOR for any boat you buy. It is well worth the investment.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 08:57   #7

The animals may have a problem being confined and in the heat.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:14   #8

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Hi Skipperlife, Welcome and great plan. I did that for years in Fl. East coast. I now live in NM for wifes health reasons , but am selling my C-27 with trailer. Look at post under Catalina 27. Has my email. I've tried to update post but can't seem to figure it out. I'm looking into an investment in September so I'll be reduce price to $9200.00, that's the money difference I need to do the deal. Sails great , but it may be to small. My wife and I get by, but that's something you need to see about. If you're interested just give me an email. I wish you both well and good luck. How I miss my sailing life. The lake just doesn't do it for me anymore. Stay safe...
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:30   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

A Catalina 30 is a great choice.
Old 16-07-2015, 10:41   #10

Boat: Scout 30

There was a thread started yesterday you might be interested in titled:

1973 33' Morgan out island
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:58   #11
Marine Service Provider

Internet access is the very least of your concerns. Two people, two dogs a cat and you have never sailed anything over 16' and you are going to jump into buying a 7 or maybe 31' boat. Well, depending on many, many things which are beyond a discussion here I can only hope that you all get along really well...and that with all that interruption and tight space you can actually work via internet. I would suggest you really look at boats first-don't narrow down your choices until much further along, learn as much as you can, charter and rent boats and take lessons and then buy a boat and really get to know it for a year and then decide if living aboard can really work. Many people can buy a boat but not all of them can actually afford it-much less handle and maintain it. With extensive sailing, maintenance, operational and cruising experience I would not do what you are doing. I just think it's way too small so if it is the budget that limits the size....well...you remember the famous line from "JAWS?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:46   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperlife View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've recently received a new job that will provide enough to purchase a used sailboat and gives me the flexibility to work remotely, all I need is internet. I've decided to reach out to you guys to see what your recommendations are for a sailing vessel. So far we've looked at a Catalina 27 & 30, as well as a Hunter 31, but will totally consider others. Below is some information about me so you know what I'm trying to do. Thank you everyone! I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

Information:
I currently live in St Petersburg, FL and would like to spend at least year as liveaboard with my wife, two dogs, and a cat. I've never sailed anything over 16 feet, but it has always been my dream to do so. I myself am pretty handy, but am lacking in the diesel engine area, so I plan to enroll my wife and I in a basic course. Our current budget is really less than $23,000. After purchasing the boat, before living aboard we plan to sail the boat on the weekends until our lease runs out, and then make the plunge as a liveaboard. We would ideally like to see as much of the coastline as possible up to around North Carolina. We would love to make it to the Bahamas as well. The only must have requirement is the ability to have internet M-F 8-5 so that I can work, so I'm still trying to figure that one out.
With that budget and baggage, I'd be looking for an Morgan Out Islander 40' plus. 30+/- is not large enough. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 12:15   #13

Boat: Lots of boats.

Look around for a boat. There are lots of Cat 27's for under $2000. I got mine for $100. Solid boat with 4 good sails. Cosmetically it needed a little work (chalky exterior), but is structurally sound and no leaks. Needed a motor, but I happened to have one. Still that would have only added about $1000 used. The only thing is, if you are not mechanically handy, any boat is going to be expensive. But nothing is especially hard to do on a boat. Just put some thought into any change or repair and don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion.

BTW, IMO a Cat 27 would be too small for living aboard full time. You need something with a real bathroom and shower. Walking to the marina facilities all the time is a PIA. And your animals would go nuts. Perhaps look for a big catamaran or a 40 footer that needs some work.

Good luck!! and enjoy.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 12:41   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
With that budget and baggage, I'd be looking for an Morgan Out Islander 40' plus. 30+/- is not large enough. JMHO
My wife and I lived aboard our 41' Morgan Out Island ("Islander" is a different boat) with our two teenage children, but back in our twenties we lived on a small design 30' sloop. I'll admit we didn't have the dogs & cat, but we did have a Capuchin monkey. Our 30' boat was only 8.5' at the widest beam and we were very comfortable. I would find two people on a Catalina 30 easy and possible for us if the dogs were small. We lived well on a 33' boat when our children were from infants to 7 and 9 years old.

I've come to understand that people have different needs in terms of functional space and psychological space. I use the term "psychological space" to represent those areas that some people seem to need and yet they are left empty, like headroom beyond your height, all those empty spaces in houses where the walls meet the ceilings or those distances where people walk from one piece of furniture to another within their house. Some people seem to need some degree of this unused space within their boats!

I'm not claiming a "right or wrong" with the space expectations, but you'd best know your own needs well.
Old 16-07-2015, 13:30   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Look around for a boat. There are lots of Cat 27's for under $2000. I got mine for $100. Solid boat with 4 good sails. Cosmetically it needed a little work (chalky exterior), but is structurally sound and no leaks. Needed a motor, but I happened to have one. Still that would have only added about $1000 used. The only thing is, if you are not mechanically handy, any boat is going to be expensive. But nothing is especially hard to do on a boat. Just put some thought into any change or repair and don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion.

BTW, IMO a Cat 27 would be too small for living aboard full time. You need something with a real bathroom and shower. Walking to the marina facilities all the time is a PIA. And your animals would go nuts. Perhaps look for a big catamaran or a 40 footer that needs some work.

Good luck!! and enjoy.
I doubt a cat that needs work in the 40 ft. range can be found in that budget range.

Just thought their size was to small. And Morgan's seem to be a good live aboard at their budget. And probably built like a rock compared to their prospective choices. I wish them good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail