Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 14:51   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A Rookie Sailor looking for Vessel Advice

Howdy Skipperlife. Welcome aboard the forum.

I think your budget, while lower than some have, is adequate to find either a small boat (27ft) or a larger boat that might need some work or is old or is just neglected.

But, occasionally there are some "finds."

As to the size?
Only you can determine if you and your spouse and two dogs and a cat can comfortably live on a small boat (27ft).

But, for me, I would want some more "space" and larger galley, and a larger head, etc. A few feet in length can make a big difference in how much volume (or space) there is inside a boat.

Here isa listing I saw today while looking for something else, and I thought of you. They might be something to consider. It is under your budget.

I would not want to try to live on a 27ft boat with spouse and two dogs and a cat. So, I would be looking for something larger. IF I were just a single guy, yeah, I could do it. But, I would like my wife to have room to put her stuff (clothing, dishes, etc.) and I would like some space where I could work (as you suggest you will work from within the boat).

33' Hunter Hunter 33 $14,900
1983 Hunter Hunter 33 sailboat for sale in Texas

While this boat is in Texas (near Houston) it would not be too difficult for you and another person (or you alone) to move it along the ICW most of the way to Tampa area motoring or motor sailing on the ICW. There is a need to cut the corner of Florida, but that should be doable by someone with sense.

Good luck on your boat search and future plans to live aboard.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 15:02   #17
Marine Service Provider

May I stress something else? Don't worry about what specific boat you are going to buy. You are not far enough along to track dpwn a specific boat--especially one in TEXAS--when you have many hundreds if not thousands within a short drive of St Pete and believe me--the Texas and LA ICW is not an easy trip---maybe on a fast moving powerboat but not on a small and slow moving sailboat. Do yo notice a pattern of advice here???? I again refer you to the line in JAWS ..."You're gonna need a bigger boat." IF you were young and IF you were single and IF you did not need creature comforts AND IF AND IF AND IF etc....but again you are two people and three animals and you want to perform your work from aboard this boat. Whatever you think it will cost and however complicated you think it will be and however long you think it will take--guess again. Double all your estimates. Be prepared for expenses, complications, hassles and challenges. This is not to say DONT DO IT but to suggest that you should take your time and choose wisely.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 15:06   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
May I stress something else? Don't worry about what specific boat you are going to buy. You are not far enough along to track dpwn a specific boat--especially one in TEXAS--when you have many hundreds if not thousands within a short drive of St Pete and believe me--the Texas and LA ICW is not an easy trip---maybe on a fast moving powerboat but not on a small and slow moving sailboat. Do yo notice a pattern of advice here???? I again refer you to the line in JAWS ..."You're gonna need a bigger boat." IF you were young and IF you were single and IF you did not need creature comforts AND IF AND IF AND IF etc....but again you are two people and three animals and you want to perform your work from aboard this boat. Whatever you think it will cost and however complicated you think it will be and however long you think it will take--guess again. Double all your estimates. Be prepared for expenses, complications, hassles and challenges. This is not to say DONT DO IT but to suggest that you should take your time and choose wisely.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 17:22   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Catalina, Cal or Pearson. I have had problems with Hunter.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 18:02   #20

Boat: Swan 47

I applaud your enthusiasm for a boating life, but it's NOT like living in an apartment or a house. Particularly with the animals. How will you exercise them? Poop/pee? Cat litter on a boat...will get awful pretty quickly.
As others have said, slow your roll or you'll end up blowing this entire dream thing.

Good luck and keep us posted!
agmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 01:30   #21

Don't be disillusioned. If you were practical or even slightly normal you would never consider doing this in the first place. I have been sailing for over half a century and, again, am involved in a boat project that I can't afford and, again, underestimated. Wouldn't change a thing. It takes a special kind of abnormal person to pursue this lifestyle.
However, don't fool yourself, especially if you want to stay married. Life aboard has many rewards but it's not easy unless you have lots of money. Someone gave me some very good advice once:
When it comes to boats: if you think it will take a day, it will take a week; if you think it will take a week, it will take a month; if you think it will take a month, it will take a year.
Remember a "boat dollar" is $1,000 and you will drop more than a few.
Good luck but be careful. It's not as seen on TV. In many ways it's better but, probably, not what you imagine.
It's a good way to lose weight.
By the way, I'm still married (47 years) and we lived aboard with a child but my wife doesn't want to hear about my boat projects now. She was a good sport 40 years ago.
Spend the money for a "good" surveyor. They aren't all good.
And, most of all, have fun.
Old 17-07-2015, 08:50   #22

Thank you for all the replies, more info

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the replies and great advice. I noticed a couple of you guys are concerned about our plan because we are pursuing this on a whim, never having sailed a boat on our own over 16'. I wanted to respond by telling you guys a little more about me, so that you know this isn't about the search of sailing our cares away and that this has been a long running dream of mine for virtually my whole life.

I've had an obsession with sailing ever since I was a kid (I'm 28 now). I was fortunate enough to be adopted into a family that was very passionate about sailing and encouraged the sport. At a young age I used to go out sailing on a 34' sloop with my grandfather and father up in Maine. Fast forward a little bit, and I was enrolled in classes as a boyscout for sailing, boat safety courses, and lifesaving courses. I spent my summers sailing various small boats, but have been on various larger craft (just never have sailed them myself). I know what it is like to sleep on a boat, and know what it is like to maintain one. With the help of my father, I've even restored several dinghies, and smaller fishing vessels.

I've known for a long time that sailing isn't like the movies portray it. If it was about simply living a life of luxury in paradise I wouldn't enjoy the sport. To me, it has always been about the living a sustainable lifestyle and self reliance. It is about working hard for little reward, and being able to point and say, I did that. It is about a special relationship between the crew and vessel. If you treat it well, it will return the favor.

In summary, this is a decision that I haven't taken lightly. And even though it is a lifelong passion, I hope the 16ish months of owning and maintaining a boat before living aboard will be able to provide us with enough information to determine if the lifestyle is right for the whole family. If not, we will remain the weekend sailor with the occasional longer trips.

Thank you again for all the replies and recommendations! I can't wait to read what else you guys have to say.
skipperlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Don't be disillusioned. If you were practical or even slightly normal you would never consider doing this in the first place. I have been sailing for over half a century and, again, am involved in a boat project that I can't afford and, again, underestimated. Wouldn't change a thing. It takes a special kind of abnormal person to pursue this lifestyle.
However, don't fool yourself, especially if you want to stay married. Life aboard has many rewards but it's not easy unless you have lots of money. Someone gave me some very good advice once:
When it comes to boats: if you think it will take a day, it will take a week; if you think it will take a week, it will take a month; if you think it will take a month, it will take a year.
Remember a "boat dollar" is $1,000 and you will drop more than a few.
Good luck but be careful. It's not as seen on TV. In many ways it's better but, probably, not what you imagine.
It's a good way to lose weight.
By the way, I'm still married (47 years) and we lived aboard with a child but my wife doesn't want to hear about my boat projects now. She was a good sport 40 years ago.
Spend the money for a "good" surveyor. They aren't all good.
And, most of all, have fun.
I understand that the cost of sailing can be great, and that is why we set our price limit so low for a vessel. We can afford more but don't want to, because of the realized fact of the "boat dollar." We've planned to prepare for the worst case of having to pay double the price of the boat per year with the hopes that the realized cost will be somewhat less than 50% of the boat per year. Would you say that would be a realistic max budget to live under?
skipperlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:18   #24

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Hey Skipperlife,

On EBay there is a nice 1972 Columbia liveaboard for sale. Located in the Manatee pocket in port salerno. Sturat Fl. I lived on that sister ship with my mate for 8 years. They are really nice boats. This one, by the write up, is a good deal and very well equipped and maintained. You should really look at it. It has a day left on bidding and is at $3050 with 2 bids now. Still have my C-27 available, but this 30 would work well. The head problem with it is a familiar one, but it was overhauled. I had the same problem after over haul and fixed it permanently with just a simple proper milling of the head. The engine is extremely open to work on because the steps are a staircase that exposes the v-drive and engine. I'm not a great mechanic but handled it easily. $30.00 cost to have a shop mill it. That was 10 years ago, but? Anyway it's kind of local. Take the locks through Okeechobee and you're close to home. My Atomic 4 was trouble free in both my Columbia and my C27. Good brother. I would bid on this if I was back home in Fl.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:45   #25

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Gotta say I like your idea but dude...you gotta simplify. Right now I live in an RV with a cat. I have it easy compared to living on a boat but kitty litre water and food for this cat is a PITA. I would consider getting rid of the pets. Pee and poo will be a continue issue.

You told us this is your dream...how about your wife? If she is not 110% into this idea you are hosed.

I am thinking of getting out of the RV and onto a boat. I am thinking 33' is the smallest I would want. 35' to 37' would be better. Heck...I meet a female living on a 41' sailboat with two small dogs. Seemed they had just enough room....lol

You are in a great place to look at sailboats. I don't see a need for you to travel very far. Can you buy a kayak to paddle the marinas to look. From what I have seen every 5th boat is for sale.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:58   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Take your time, look at a lot of boats & take the captain! Looking for a boat is a blast.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 15:56   #27

That makes more sense. I have two Maine Coons but not on the boat. Known people with pets on boats. Cats seem to do OK. Dogs much more of a problem but you know your animals better than I do and I know we all love our animals. I could never get rid of mine.
Good luck. A boat is never big enough unless a superyacht. Fix everything yourself. Buy Nigel Calder's books. He is my god. Get them at Thriftybooks very cheap.

Tags
sail