Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-12-2008, 17:06   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
beaufort SC has a free dock that lets you tie up all day for free. supposed to leave between 2am and 6am not enforced according to locals. showers $2 a day. Anchorage right off free dock. Groceries and restuarants short bike ride away. Charleston Megadock has free dingy dock by boatramp can only be accessed at +2' tide as it dries up. Many use pay dinghy docks without paying short term. Anchorage across from marina. Groceries close, free wifi at anchorage from Megadock. Dolphin Cove up Ashley river is lowest cost in area, not much around, but friendly bunch of liveaboards.

Old 21-12-2008, 17:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I think you need to clarify the Beaufort, SC info. That is a dinghy dock not a dock for the boat. Groceries are a long bike ride and even longer walk. The grocery store used to pick you up and drop you off, but no more.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 17:19   #18
cruiser

Further south, In Jacksonville if you decide to go up the river the city offers 2 free docks, one near the stadium, the other just past the lift bridge at riverwalk, great restuarant in riverwalk American Cafe, reasonably priced killer food, Winn Dixie within 1e mile. After you leave st johns river and head south, theres a bridge atlantic beach rd, just before you get to bridge theres a fork that goes to left, Deep water good ground. Much deeper than noted on charts its been dredged to relieve water flow under main span. Harrison and Skip live on Island where old abandoned restuarant overhangs water. They are way friendly and let us tie dinghy up and lock bikes up while we went to atlantic beach, which has all needs short distanct towards beach, east. Also lowes, publix, etc.. other direction. We go on the cheap and avoid marinas. Can give you a multitude of free anchorages and places to land. Do you have bikes?
Old 21-12-2008, 17:30   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
I think you need to clarify the Beaufort, SC info. That is a dinghy dock not a dock for the boat. Groceries are a long bike ride and even longer walk. The grocery store used to pick you up and drop you off, but no more.

This information is wrong, the dock is free for first come first served, the dingy dock part is on the inside towards land the free dock is on the outside toward water, was plenty of water for 5'draft, if you stop at the fuel dock they will gladly point you towards the free dock its just on the left side of the boatramp from the water. We spent 5 days there recently. The piggly wiggly is not a long bike ride. Less than 2 miles. closer to one. Also have pumpout boat but was in for maintenance while we were there, correction shower combination code was 1$ a day. Laundry available also at free dock for $1 wash or dry
Old 26-12-2008, 21:25   #20

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Further south, In Jacksonville if you decide to go up the river the city offers 2 free docks, one near the stadium, the other just past the lift bridge at riverwalk, great restuarant in riverwalk American Cafe, reasonably priced killer food, Winn Dixie within 1e mile. After you leave st johns river and head south, theres a bridge atlantic beach rd, just before you get to bridge theres a fork that goes to left, Deep water good ground. Much deeper than noted on charts its been dredged to relieve water flow under main span. Harrison and Skip live on Island where old abandoned restuarant overhangs water. They are way friendly and let us tie dinghy up and lock bikes up while we went to atlantic beach, which has all needs short distanct towards beach, east. Also lowes, publix, etc.. other direction. We go on the cheap and avoid marinas. Can give you a multitude of free anchorages and places to land. Do you have bikes?
Yes on the bikes and I would be very interested in anchorages and places to land. I plan to get a slip maybe every third day. Fuel up, real shower, good meal etc. but I will be looking for an anchorage the other nights that has a good/easy place to dinghy the dog to the beach for his business. He may surprise me and go on the boat but I doubt it.
Old 06-02-2009, 15:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
The Osprey Marina at MM 373.5 is getting some rave reviews from folks traveling the ICW.
Thanks for this tip. I stayed here 1 night. $1/ft and it gets real cheap if you stay longer. The grill has good breakfast and GIANT hamburgers. I'll stay here again.
Old 06-02-2009, 15:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
This information is wrong, the dock is free for first come first served, the dingy dock part is on the inside towards land the free dock is on the outside toward water, was plenty of water for 5'draft, if you stop at the fuel dock they will gladly point you towards the free dock its just on the left side of the boatramp from the water. We spent 5 days there recently. The piggly wiggly is not a long bike ride. Less than 2 miles. closer to one. Also have pumpout boat but was in for maintenance while we were there, correction shower combination code was 1$ a day. Laundry available also at free dock for $1 wash or dry
I will be in Beaufort tomorrow (unless I'm in federal prison for being too young to cruise) so I will check this out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-02-2009, 17:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Thanks for this tip. I stayed here 1 night. $1/ft and it gets real cheap if you stay longer. The grill has good breakfast and GIANT hamburgers. I'll stay here again.
I wanted to add a note to this.

It takes alot of grit for marinas to sell coozies for 3 or 4 bucks printed with their advertisement but most do. Osprey gives you a free one in a welcome bag that also has a pack of crackers, block of cheese, cinnabons, mints, a floating key chain with a whistle on it and probably some other things I'm forgetting. Its a real nice touch that says 'we're glad you're here'. Other marinas could learn alot from them. Its strange that the cheapest marina I found is also the most generous.
Old 07-02-2009, 17:33   #24

Quote:
I will be in Beaufort tomorrow (unless I'm in federal prison for being too young to cruise) so I will check this out. Thanks for the tip.
The outside of the town dock is indeed for boats and I am tied up to it right now. Other than people using the boat ramp, its even very pleasant. The sign says no dockage from 1-6am. I don't know if its true, but someone here told me the owner of the marina next door is also the harbor master so the no overnight rule is being enforced.
Old 07-02-2009, 19:48   #25

If you can travel a few miles the Sheraton Grande at New Bern, NC is very nice. It is right in downtown New Bern which is a very old town with B & B's from the early 1800's. Being a hotel it has a health club, resturant and you can charge drinks at the bar to your slip. The Hatteras factory is up the Neuse River so there are some large boats at the dock. They can direct you to any repair facilities if you need them.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50   #26

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Quote:
Yes on the bikes and I will be looking for an anchorage the other nights that has a good/easy place to dinghy the dog to the beach for his business. He may surprise me and go on the boat but I doubt it.
Get a piece of fake grass carpet and tie a line to it. Keep it on deck, and train your dog to do his thing on it. When you see it's been used, toss it over the side for a while.
Or as a person I saw do in the morning after his 3 large dogs did there thing. He went around the decks with a shovel!

Tags
icw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: