Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2008, 17:06   #16
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
beaufort SC has a free dock that lets you tie up all day for free. supposed to leave between 2am and 6am not enforced according to locals. showers $2 a day. Anchorage right off free dock. Groceries and restuarants short bike ride away. Charleston Megadock has free dingy dock by boatramp can only be accessed at +2' tide as it dries up. Many use pay dinghy docks without paying short term. Anchorage across from marina. Groceries close, free wifi at anchorage from Megadock. Dolphin Cove up Ashley river is lowest cost in area, not much around, but friendly bunch of liveaboards.
__________________

__________________
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 17:10   #17
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
I think you need to clarify the Beaufort, SC info. That is a dinghy dock not a dock for the boat. Groceries are a long bike ride and even longer walk. The grocery store used to pick you up and drop you off, but no more.
__________________

__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 17:19   #18
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
Further south, In Jacksonville if you decide to go up the river the city offers 2 free docks, one near the stadium, the other just past the lift bridge at riverwalk, great restuarant in riverwalk American Cafe, reasonably priced killer food, Winn Dixie within 1e mile. After you leave st johns river and head south, theres a bridge atlantic beach rd, just before you get to bridge theres a fork that goes to left, Deep water good ground. Much deeper than noted on charts its been dredged to relieve water flow under main span. Harrison and Skip live on Island where old abandoned restuarant overhangs water. They are way friendly and let us tie dinghy up and lock bikes up while we went to atlantic beach, which has all needs short distanct towards beach, east. Also lowes, publix, etc.. other direction. We go on the cheap and avoid marinas. Can give you a multitude of free anchorages and places to land. Do you have bikes?
__________________
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 17:30   #19
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
I think you need to clarify the Beaufort, SC info. That is a dinghy dock not a dock for the boat. Groceries are a long bike ride and even longer walk. The grocery store used to pick you up and drop you off, but no more.

This information is wrong, the dock is free for first come first served, the dingy dock part is on the inside towards land the free dock is on the outside toward water, was plenty of water for 5'draft, if you stop at the fuel dock they will gladly point you towards the free dock its just on the left side of the boatramp from the water. We spent 5 days there recently. The piggly wiggly is not a long bike ride. Less than 2 miles. closer to one. Also have pumpout boat but was in for maintenance while we were there, correction shower combination code was 1$ a day. Laundry available also at free dock for $1 wash or dry
__________________
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 21:25   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Further south, In Jacksonville if you decide to go up the river the city offers 2 free docks, one near the stadium, the other just past the lift bridge at riverwalk, great restuarant in riverwalk American Cafe, reasonably priced killer food, Winn Dixie within 1e mile. After you leave st johns river and head south, theres a bridge atlantic beach rd, just before you get to bridge theres a fork that goes to left, Deep water good ground. Much deeper than noted on charts its been dredged to relieve water flow under main span. Harrison and Skip live on Island where old abandoned restuarant overhangs water. They are way friendly and let us tie dinghy up and lock bikes up while we went to atlantic beach, which has all needs short distanct towards beach, east. Also lowes, publix, etc.. other direction. We go on the cheap and avoid marinas. Can give you a multitude of free anchorages and places to land. Do you have bikes?
Yes on the bikes and I would be very interested in anchorages and places to land. I plan to get a slip maybe every third day. Fuel up, real shower, good meal etc. but I will be looking for an anchorage the other nights that has a good/easy place to dinghy the dog to the beach for his business. He may surprise me and go on the boat but I doubt it.
__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 15:14   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
The Osprey Marina at MM 373.5 is getting some rave reviews from folks traveling the ICW.
Thanks for this tip. I stayed here 1 night. $1/ft and it gets real cheap if you stay longer. The grill has good breakfast and GIANT hamburgers. I'll stay here again.
__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 15:23   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
This information is wrong, the dock is free for first come first served, the dingy dock part is on the inside towards land the free dock is on the outside toward water, was plenty of water for 5'draft, if you stop at the fuel dock they will gladly point you towards the free dock its just on the left side of the boatramp from the water. We spent 5 days there recently. The piggly wiggly is not a long bike ride. Less than 2 miles. closer to one. Also have pumpout boat but was in for maintenance while we were there, correction shower combination code was 1$ a day. Laundry available also at free dock for $1 wash or dry
I will be in Beaufort tomorrow (unless I'm in federal prison for being too young to cruise) so I will check this out. Thanks for the tip.
__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 17:26   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Thanks for this tip. I stayed here 1 night. $1/ft and it gets real cheap if you stay longer. The grill has good breakfast and GIANT hamburgers. I'll stay here again.
I wanted to add a note to this.

It takes alot of grit for marinas to sell coozies for 3 or 4 bucks printed with their advertisement but most do. Osprey gives you a free one in a welcome bag that also has a pack of crackers, block of cheese, cinnabons, mints, a floating key chain with a whistle on it and probably some other things I'm forgetting. Its a real nice touch that says 'we're glad you're here'. Other marinas could learn alot from them. Its strange that the cheapest marina I found is also the most generous.
__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 17:33   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
I will be in Beaufort tomorrow (unless I'm in federal prison for being too young to cruise) so I will check this out. Thanks for the tip.
The outside of the town dock is indeed for boats and I am tied up to it right now. Other than people using the boat ramp, its even very pleasant. The sign says no dockage from 1-6am. I don't know if its true, but someone here told me the owner of the marina next door is also the harbor master so the no overnight rule is being enforced.
__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 19:48   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
If you can travel a few miles the Sheraton Grande at New Bern, NC is very nice. It is right in downtown New Bern which is a very old town with B & B's from the early 1800's. Being a hotel it has a health club, resturant and you can charge drinks at the bar to your slip. The Hatteras factory is up the Neuse River so there are some large boats at the dock. They can direct you to any repair facilities if you need them.
__________________
matt385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50   #26
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: SW Florida
Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Posts: 498
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Yes on the bikes and I will be looking for an anchorage the other nights that has a good/easy place to dinghy the dog to the beach for his business. He may surprise me and go on the boat but I doubt it.
Get a piece of fake grass carpet and tie a line to it. Keep it on deck, and train your dog to do his thing on it. When you see it's been used, toss it over the side for a while.
Or as a person I saw do in the morning after his 3 large dogs did there thing. He went around the decks with a shovel!
__________________

__________________
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
icw

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICW Alternative Greenman Atlantic & the Caribbean 7 10-07-2008 08:22
ICW Chart #'s Help? ssullivan Atlantic & the Caribbean 7 23-04-2008 18:03
ICW and draft jimking100 General Sailing Forum 7 01-02-2008 13:18
A trip down the ICW... exposure General Sailing Forum 8 04-05-2007 05:30
ICW TBoneFan General Sailing Forum 2 15-03-2007 20:39



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.