Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 09:50   #91

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: A new adventure begins.

Quite a responsibility. Did you ever get the final bill for removing your beached boat? I'm curious what it costs.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 19:41   #92

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpass View Post
I speared that Red Snapper on a gas well off Galveston.
A small diversion please Southpass, since the OP seems to have taken a break.
I’ll be leaving Corpus Christi 27 Nov, give or take a day or three and passing through Galveston on my way to Pensacola, the Dry Tortugas and then the Bahamas. I would REALLY like to have one of those snappers on my grill. Any guidance would be appreciated.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 20:52   #93

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is a beaut fish, but you might want to Google ciguatera fish poisoning before you eat a red snapper that large. Way safer to stick to fish 1/4 the size of the largest ones. Just have a read, and see what you think.

Jim and I have had ciguatera 3 times. We know someone who was so sick the doctor was afraid to move them to the hospital, and who eventually survived; one who still has symptoms years after and cannot eat tropical fish any more at all, like Jim and me. It wasn't fun, and the toxin accumulates in your liver and never really goes away.

PS. Sorry to rain on the parade, guys.

Ann
Old 24-10-2018, 04:23   #94

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

I’m familiar w ciguetera, not first hand, but have read quite a bit. I didn’t know it was a concern in the Gulf.
Old 24-10-2018, 11:25   #95

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Marqueses, 56

I haven't been down in Texas in about a year. Inside of 9 miles the Red Snapper season is open year round and either 2 or 4 fish limit. Find a rig and determine which way the current is flowing. Get on the upcurrent side and drop a Spanish sardine or cut bait on a circle hook with a decent sized sinker for the current/depth. I would look for at least 40' of depth. Red Snapper will hold on the upcurrent side just off the rig. They might initially be at 30' in 40'of water but they'll eventually start coming up as you fish/chum. Usually we have no problem limiting out but sometimes you catch 10 small ones for 1 legal one. Lots of fun and tasty. I've NEVER in 20 years of fishing the Texas coast heard of someone getting cigutera from and ARS off Texas. Not saying it couldn't happen.
Southpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 11:28   #96

By rig I meant oil rig. The best fishing in Texas is usually off Freeport and Port Mansfield. There are more and more artificial reefing areas going in all the time if you can't find an oil rig. The Obama administration made it a priority to pull out lots of near coastal rigs so they might be hard to find inside of 9 miles.
Old 24-10-2018, 12:33   #97

Hijack Alert !! -
Southpass, I knew what you meant by "rig" As I move from CCTX to Pensacola, I pass "hunnerds" of rigs. I'm looking for eatin' fish, so nothing bigger than 3-4 people can eat in a day. My reading says ciguatera is a tropical poisoning, so unless Gulf Snapper migrate, is there a concern? I'd really hate to start MY new adventure by being poisoned in the first week.

and yes, if you read this entire thread, you'll understand the original adventure is over and the clean up and responsibility adventure is beginning. Of which I'm hoping the OP returns and updates us as to what's going on and who's taking care of the abandoned boat.
Old 24-10-2018, 13:25   #98

I understand. You should have no issues feeding yourself on the Texas coast. I've fished litterally all over the world and Texas is hard to beat.

I was attempting to guide the OP from the get go but he wanted to learn his lessons by doing.
Old 13-11-2018, 00:09   #99

Boat: Morgan 1970 Cruising Ketch 40'

I have not received the final bill but I have received a target letter notifying me that I will face charges in federal court for the abandonment of property.
SuttonCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 03:22   #100

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Red snapper has a season duration, not year round. https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/rel...?req=20180531a
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 03:28   #101

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Red snapper has a season duration, not year round. https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/rel...?req=20180531a
But you're right, within 9 mile limit it is open year round. We just never fished platforms that close for them.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 05:31   #102

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonCS View Post
I have not received the final bill but I have received a target letter notifying me that I will face charges in federal court for the abandonment of property.
Will you continue to keep us updated? I'd like to know what they bill you or how this ends.

I hate that you are going through this, wish you could have made it.

Perhaps you can call someone and get out in front of this. Start paying it off. It could make the whole Federal court thing go much easier. When a person lays in the bed they've made, that gets respect. That's what I would do in your shoes.
Old 13-11-2018, 18:39   #103

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

FWIW this thread is so great it almost feels like a scam (I know it’s not). It should get some sort of required reading status. A great rebuttal to the “just go” crowd (of which I’m usually a part of).
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 00:08   #104

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
FWIW this thread is so great it almost feels like a scam (I know it’s not). It should get some sort of required reading status. A great rebuttal to the “just go” crowd (of which I’m usually a part of).
I can not see how it is a rebuttal to the " just go crowd," it got a little rough, they panicked and did the absolute wrong thing. Had they simply gone east instead of west we would be reading about the "terrible storm" they weathered. Or had they taken everyones advice and stuck to the ditch we would be hearing about huge powerboat wakes and shallow channels.
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 06:52   #105

It's a great shame. Of course I am glad you are OK, but you did something irresponsible and silly in setting off; you have reaped the consequences and you have also inflicted consequences upon the environment.

The "just go crowd", and the general preference many of us share for boating being a lightly-regulated activity, are both predicated on mature people acting responsibly. That means doing things like research, reading, asking advice, and getting weather forecasts.

I also don't like the bit where you ditched the boat. Somebody commented that it's OK because you thought about clearing it up then found you couldn't afford it. Sorry but no. I might have an accident like this one day, but if I do so I will have the benefit of 30k plus miles on boats of all shapes and sizes. That experience will tell me to have a weather forecast, a radio, to know how my boat handles in a blow (not just a Saturday sail in the Chesapeake); the ability to navigate and the rest. An accident might happen but at least I have taken significant steps to make it improbable.

You, sir, had less sailing and, as important, seamanship ability than a 9 year old with a dinghy level 1. And the nine-year old would likely have been taught "if in doubt, don't go to sea" and, more importantly, to have doubts. You should have doubts; you should overcome your doubts with acquired reason and skill, leading you to knowledge and judgment. You have shown none of the above. And you have escaped with your life; frankly some contrition wouldn't go amiss.

You've been an ass. Please don't be in too much of a hurry to come sailing again.
richr is offline   Reply With Quote