Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 18:55   #31

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: A fun read about a fat sailor with short arms.

At the risk of exposing my poor taste, those who like this book might also like "I'm Gonna Live My Life Like a Jimmy Buffet Song" and "Jack and Di Rum Song" both by Anthony Bjorklund.
Old 13-02-2013, 19:56   #32

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonesuch 30U

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Well...to continue a theme......I have to wonder if the problem is a compound of TV/Movie examples, and some issues with childhood? I'm pretty average...5'8", 150lbs, get along with everyone...and I'm WAY more interested in a lady that has style and can think than a model who's gonna break with a good hug and can't tell a boom from a loud noise!

Are you listening GLENN???????????? Start with a conversation THEN decide if she's good looking Just saying
Ok, ok, I was going to stop commenting on this topic but, Gordo, your post was too good to let sit. AND, I finally went to look for a pic of dear Glenn and HE IS NOT THE DOG HE MAKES HIMSELF OUT TO BE!!! A previous poster is right. What's up, Glenn? Stop being so hard on yourself...and follow Gordo's advice.
Kache Walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:04   #33

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

There is nothing wrong with Glenn's attraction level nor his honesty about what he is and is not attracted to. People are gonna like what they like. If he wants the fatties, so be it. If he gets off on the granny fanny, more power to him. He, like all of us, has a certain feature level that attracts him, and if that's not met, it aint workin. No need to even try. I'm not remotely attracted to morbidly obese, ugly, trailer trash (think Honey Boo Boo's mom) and I will NEVER even attempt to date that. My dingy just won't float (so to speak).

I'm like Glenn...have high standards and only date a certain level. Otherwise, I'm not attracted....dingy don't float....would rather go home and order a pizza. BUT....and this is a big BUT.....I have something to offer in mutual attraction....so, it's not really a problem getting what I want. But for Glenn I'd say 2 things:

1. You give up too easy. Rejection is part of their game. EVERY dude on the planet hits on these chicks so "No" is by default the first thing outta their mouth. Keep after it. You gotta show her why you're a good catch.

2. The hotties are fun to dock your dingy and show off to your friends, but man they aint all that and a bag of chips. They can be a serious pain in the ass. It took me 3 months to land my (now ex thank God) wife and 8 years later took me 2.5 years to get rid of her with half my ****.

Beauty is part of it, but only a small part. Beauty fades...and quickly with women (usually)....if you want a "forever" relationship then 90% of it is the person inside. Period. But you still gotta look at them.

AND!!!!!!!

They gotta look at you so take care of yourself. Slim down, buff up a bit, manscape, shower daily, take care of your teeth. Quid Pro Quo man.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:34   #34

Hey Joe,

I think we are all in agreement on the main message here. There's more to attraction than meets the eye. And you gotta work, on a whole lot of levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I'm not remotely attracted to morbidly obese, ugly, trailer trash
Well, heck, that leaves me out! I'm not obese or too terribly ugly but anybody who spends a lot of time on their sailboat is kinda livin' in a trailor. Just sayin'

Quote:
My dingy just won't float (so to speak).

I'm not attracted....dingy don't float.....

The hotties are fun to dock your dingy
I'm new to this forum but I gotta say, using a dinghy as a euphemism for what you're talking about is...um, a new one for me and not the best visual.

Happy Valentine's Day, Glenn and all!
Kache Walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:37   #35

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Glenn's attraction level nor his honesty about what he is and is not attracted to. People are gonna like what they like. If he wants the fatties, so be it. If he gets off on the granny fanny, more power to him. He, like all of us, has a certain feature level that attracts him, and if that's not met, it aint workin. No need to even try. I'm not remotely attracted to morbidly obese, ugly, trailer trash (think Honey Boo Boo's mom) and I will NEVER even attempt to date that. My dingy just won't float (so to speak).

I'm like Glenn...have high standards and only date a certain level. Otherwise, I'm not attracted....dingy don't float....would rather go home and order a pizza. BUT....and this is a big BUT.....I have something to offer in mutual attraction....so, it's not really a problem getting what I want. But for Glenn I'd say 2 things:

1. You give up too easy. Rejection is part of their game. EVERY dude on the planet hits on these chicks so "No" is by default the first thing outta their mouth. Keep after it. You gotta show her why you're a good catch.

2. The hotties are fun to dock your dingy and show off to your friends, but man they aint all that and a bag of chips. They can be a serious pain in the ass. It took me 3 months to land my (now ex thank God) wife and 8 years later took me 2.5 years to get rid of her with half my ****.

Beauty is part of it, but only a small part. Beauty fades...and quickly with women (usually)....if you want a "forever" relationship then 90% of it is the person inside. Period. But you still gotta look at them.

AND!!!!!!!

They gotta look at you so take care of yourself. Slim down, buff up a bit, manscape, shower daily, take care of your teeth. Quid Pro Quo man.
"1. You give up too easy. Rejection is part of their game. EVERY dude on the planet hits on these chicks so "No" is by default the first thing outta their mouth. Keep after it. You gotta show her why you're a good catch."

Change the question asked to:
Can you resist my charm?

Did I catch you at a bad time?

Do you want to sail on my boat or would you like to take your boat?
Old 23-02-2013, 19:14   #36

Hope it's not too late to join this thread. I would have joined sooner but I failed to register for this site so after Smackdaddy told me about the first post I did not get any updates - totally my fault.

Thank you to everyone who read Break Seas. I appreciate your support!

Most of the controversy around this book is not where you'd expect (full vs fin keels, heavy vs moderate displacement). It's the girlfriend thing, the looks thing, etc. I appreciate all the well-intentioned input, but at age 52 I'm a lot happier now that I've adjusted to the notion of permanent singlehood. It's a lifestyle with huge advantages, and I feel grateful for the degree of freedom and autonomy that I enjoy every day. I'm still just as picky as I was ten years ago, but ten years older and significantly fatter! As readers of the book will atest, pairing up with someone "just like me" is not an option. Case closed.

What floats my boat these days (besides the idea of maybe getting another boat) is finishing my first novel, a futuristic adventure aimed at the 13-17 age group.

Thanks again for everyone's support - please post any questions you may wish to be answered and I will respond - I'm registered now and will get the notification.

Cheers,

Glenn
glenndamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:19   #37

Boat: Moody 376

Good man. All the best with it!
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:21   #38

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Congratulations on the book Glenn. Was a very entertaining and enjoyable read and I hope it sells well for you.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 04:16   #39

I enjoyed it too Glen, may you thrive in your writing career.
I found your turn of phrase engaging and page-turning.
Thanks mate. Hope you invested my $9 wisely!
Matt
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:34   #40

We all liked the book. I have yet to hear from anyone who didn't. You just inspired us, Glenn, to consider what your predicaments - all of them - meant to us and how we might respond. Some of us, in similar circumstances, would make different choices or view ourselves differently.

I, for one, was surprised when I saw your picture. I don't know where the rest of y'all sail, but around my way there are fatter sailors with shorter arms.

But having said that, I get the single and free thing. That is not a bad choice at all. May be where I end up after all.
Old 24-02-2013, 14:32   #41

Thanks Kache! There are a few people who hate the book (there are two ratings and one review on GoodReads, all bad). Some people are not going to "get it." Part of it is my giving the middle finger to political correctness (modern books, TV shows and movies are "required" to always show men as dunces who must learn wisdom from their female superiors). Part if it is because many people buy lots of cheap Kindle books and then SKIM the contents, and easily miss details and explanations that are salient to understanding the whole story. Most of the people who slam the book (there aren't many) qualify with something like, "Well, it's a decent read, sure, but I despise the writer - what a loser!"

I didn't really want to write a memoir at all, but I was looking for a practical book project to get out as a first book before I tackle something much harder: a novel. None of my friends liked the ideas I had for a first book . . . they kept pitching me to write about my sailing trip, which they all knew about and loved to talk about, even after several years. So I relented, and told myself if I'm going to do it, the whole story has to be there: all my feelings about myself, original motivations and so on. Otherwise, why bother? It turned out to be a story about rejection and disappointment as much as it is about boat work and sailing. And that's fine for most people, because all of us have our "issues" and we don't sail off in a vacuum. I'll bet our motives for wanting to cruise long term are varied and tell us something about each of us. I don't buy the idea that people want to cruise in order to have a "simple lifestyle!" That's not what I found! The "simple life" is living in an apartment with all the utilities hooked up, washer&dryer in the apartment, enough money in the bank, a garbage chute down the hall, doctors and a hospital three blocks away, always-on internet and cell phone, 24x7 grocery store two blocks away, and a kitchen that doesn't rock or bounce! What could be SIMPLER than all that?

Best,

Glenn
Old 24-02-2013, 16:07   #42

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
.... (there are two ratings and one review on GoodReads, all bad). ..... "Well, it's a decent read, sure, but I despise the writer - what a loser!"
Must have been Joyce and Meagan.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:30   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I stopped reading at post 20 something cause too much was being given away.

I will get the book and catch up later.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:12   #44

LOL - No, it was some Canadian woman. Joyce and Megan are not their real names, by the way. I disguised some of the characters so it's not possible to figure out who they are if you know them, unless of course you knew them at the time of the events in the book. Everyone's age, appearance and personality are just as they were in real life. "Duffy" was the guy's real name, though!

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 24-02-2013, 18:45   #45

Boat: Watkins 29'
Awesome book Glen, you did a great job, I'm sure your next book will be wonderful too. I see you are contemplating another boat, If so what do you have in mind?

Tags
fun