Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 08:42   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: A foreigner on the ICW

1. He personally does not need any sort of license to operate the boat in most states that I know of except New Jersey, which does require a safe boating certificate. However, I believe his foreign license will cover him.

2. No insurance required except by some marinas, but I have never been asked for it on overnight stays.

3. The boat must be documented or registered somewhere. If it is foreign registry he will need to get a cruising permit. NY State registration would require the payment of sales tax to the state. US Coast Guard documentation is only possible if he is a US citizen. Florida requires state registration somewhere, even if you are US Coast Guard documented. Most states will grant you 60-90 days in their waters as long as the boat is documented or registered someplace else.

4. Yes, the ICW height limit from Norfolk to Miami is officially 65 feet north of Miami, where it is 56 feet, but I would be very careful at all bridges if your mast is over 62 feet.
Old 24-02-2011, 09:30   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
He may want to pick up a copy of "English for Cruisers" by that famous Korean author.
"Herro. I am from North Korea. Direct me to your missile silos, please"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 09:56   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

(Mostly) good thoughts above.

I suggest your friend check in with the Korean Embassy in Washington +1-202-939-5663 or 1-202-939-5660. He should also carry the numbers for the Consulate Generals around the US: DYNAMIC-KOREA . There is a Korean version on their website, but I couldn't navigate well enough to find it. Your friend's Embassy will be able to help him locate translators, and in the event he runs into a "Bubba" law enforcement officer anywhere help him sort things out.

Make sure he understands the requirements for sewage systems here and the normal expectations for fueling, getting water, passing drawbridges, and has enough English to read our charts.

Please let me know if I can help. I'd like my country to welcome cruisers from other countries as warmly as I have been welcomed elsewhere.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:48   #19

If your friend is putting his boat on a ship in Fort Lauderdale, I would be happy to help out if needed. My Korean is limited to hello and thank you, but I'm sure the communication gap can be bridged. Feel free to PM me for contact information if you/he needs my help.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 23:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

Hi Abaco, sent pm.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Re: A Foreigner on the ICW

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. Very helpful as usual.
Jim
Old 01-03-2011, 21:25   #22

Boat: Catana, Tennant "Dakota 33", C-Dory 19, X-Cat, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
A Korean friend is flying to New York next month to sea trial a 46-foot yacht. If all goes well he will take possession and sail it to Florida

Any other legal/bureaucratic problems he might encounter?
Hey Jim, assuming that he keeps the boat U.S. flagged upon closing, I think his problems will be:
[1] ICW bridge clearance height and depth, as many have noted. I can speak from experience that the ICW in New Jersey has certainly diverged a bit from the official chart depths.
[2] Weather can still be dicey in New York by April.

He will save himself a world of headache by hiring a crew member (or even better, a delivery skipper) to help him on his trip down the Atlantic ICW.

Where in NY is the boat anyway? I'm on the Hudson River right by the GWB. Just curious.

-charles
myosys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 16:51   #23
Marine Service Provider

Charles, to the best of my knowledge the trial is within driving range of Manhattan. That's where he is now. If the sale proceeds, my wife and I might fly in to crew for them. Lots of fun.
Old 03-03-2011, 17:11   #24

Boat: Catana, Tennant "Dakota 33", C-Dory 19, X-Cat, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Charles, to the best of my knowledge the trial is within driving range of Manhattan. That's where he is now. If the sale proceeds, my wife and I might fly in to crew for them. Lots of fun.
Sounds like good times down the ICW then Once he's back in Korea, where will the boat be berthed? Busan I guess? I heard that is yacht central over there.
myosys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw