Hello! I am not a cruiser, but God willing, I will be before too long, I lurk alot but thought it would be a good time to ask a bunch of questions.
1. What do you do all day? At anchor
, in marina, coastal, on passges, warm weather
, cold weather
, etc. What do you wish you were doing? I can think of a bunch of things, but Im always up for suggestions.
2. Has not knowing the native language been a problem for you? When, where, and how?
3. Ever sail the Bissagos islands in Africa
? They look like they'd be nice, but I've heard the place is a complete narco state. Or cruised extensively elswhere in africa
4. Is the CG Auxillary worth joining if you have a boat?
5. Tricks for dealing with beaurocrats or people trying to shake you down (either foreign or domestic)? In poorer countries, I've heard carrying a bunch of cheap
toys with you to give people to give their kids
can be a cheap
solution to people wanting bribes, because usually one of them has a family
and cool toys are a luxury they don't get much. Maybe that only works in Afghanistan though...
6. Do you have to pay taxes
(other than income/sales taxes) in the US if you live on a boat?
7. Ever lost
your glasses/contacts/all of your corrective eyewear? What did you do? I'm pretty dang blind without them...
8. Ever sink something thats contraband in a country you're entering with a bouy or something in order to recover it later? (Legally of course)
9. Where's your favorite place to go? Where do you wish you could go but havent yet or never will be able to?
10. Do you swim ever for exercise/fun when you are far from land? Other than the obvious of unfavorable sea state, when is that a bad idea?
11. Is a yawl rig worth it? For the sail + all the stuff you can handily mount to the mast
12. Ever been befriended by marine
life? (Porpoise /seagull/penguin that follows you everywhere, etc)
13. If you could get a letter of marque to go hunt pirates, would you?
14. When returning to the US, as a US citizen w/ a US boat, how does that work? Do you just, sail up to whatever bit of coast you want and go about your business or do you have to go to specific places to deal with customs
or whatever? If so, how do they know you werent just out cruising along the US coast?
15. Of all the countries you've visited, who had the best music
and/or most unexpectedly good music
I got more questions, but I should probably just look them up... Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on all this. I cant wait to meet you all out on the water
someday soon! Anyone I meet irl who answers interestingly/informatively gets a beer! (Unless I'm out of beer
, then they get tea or a gin and tonic or something or an IOU made out of the least water-resistant paper I can find)