Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 23:05   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Jimbo, I will be down in St. Martin soon, and my glass will be more then half full. My point is why did you need to burden your story with slams towards Obama and bitches about paying taxes? It would have been a fine story without them.

It is true - I don't know Jack, pun intended.
__________________

__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 23:29   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,209
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: A Feel-Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Jimbo, I will be down in St. Martin soon, and my glass will be more then half full. My point is why did you need to burden your story with slams towards Obama and bitches about paying taxes? It would have been a fine story without them.

It is true - I don't know Jack, pun intended.
Hey.... give the guy a break Pallaran...
Thats what black guys are for... whuppin... when you aint got the balls to whup the ones that count...
Why do I get the funny feeling folks are gonna bitch about this one... but not to me...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: A Feel-Good Story

I did precisely that, What the op Said,

But my boat was in a tropical paradise not a jungle, Same thing, hahaha

My boat was the Bees knees, It had every thing and a spare for everything as well.
I must admit it was missing an electric anchor windlass, But dragging the anchor up by hand was not a problem, I dont consider that a disadvantage,

But selling an asset, buying a boat, retiring, enjoying your life, Thats what you worked all your life for,
Means you have worked your ring out to get the asset in the first place, So. therefore you have paid your taxes, and have earned the right to the old age pension,
And it dont come out of your pocket, I have already worked two life times, So he can take it out of my extra taxes, hahahaha,
He did pay others for the work he got done,

Enjoy your retirement, Even if it is in the jungle,
__________________
Mr B is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
Re: A Feel-Good Story

20 months and counting.

Boat purchased, and list of work to ensure life of ease has been started.

All I need now is to get some time onboard rather than working thousands of miles away.


I consider an electric windlass to be an essential for full time cruising, especially short handed.
__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Electric Anchor Windlass, New Anchors, New high volume Bilge pumps, Only found this out because I needed them at a critical time,
Anchors and Bilge pumps.

I only had the boat 2.5 months when I wrecked it, There was a lot of extra's I was going to put on it when I got it home, including revaluation,

Getting it home was some thing along the lines of 2500 Nautical miles across 3 oceans, Single handed,

You have to learn these things by doing, You cant get it out of books or the Internet,

Internet forums will give you 10 different ways to do the same thing, But only you, will find the right way for you. and thats only after you try a few of them,

I just love this retirement thing, What month did you say it was again,
__________________
Mr B is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 16:31   #21
Registered User
 
capn_billl's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston,Tx
Boat: Maxum 37'
Posts: 1,587
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Give us all a break... Have a couple drinks and go to bed, maybe you'll have a dream someday of your own. I'm a boat bum myself, lost all my investments and retirement because of corupt goverment and greedy banks. I still sail, they can't take that away from me... Michael..
Hear hear. Wasn't the plan that if you work hard you got to keep SOME of your own money you worked so hard for. My 401K turned into a 201K, My plant was shut down and moved to China, My pension and health care plans are in China waiting for me.

Banks were giving out loans to million dollar NEW homes to people who lived under a bridge, and got the down payment from a passing car. Then when the broke homeless person didn't make a single payment, they expected the government to bail them out, and they did with My tax money.

By going sailing expat, he is relieving society from his maintenence, at least temperarily, (no fire, police, schools, annual checkups, etc...), He still supports the banks, but thousands of Beaurocrats will have one less person to regulate until he gets back.
__________________
capn_billl is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 17:18   #22
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: A Feel-Good Story

When I first heard of a 401 k I was a kid ,but I knew better than to put faith in a Company to pay me lots of money 20 -30 -40- years later,that just didnt sound right to me ...bankers are greedy,so is the person that thinks he can put in a dollar and get two back...US gov. corrupt?naw,only people are corrupt,greedy and naive.Glad the guy got a boat but if anything bad happens in the 3rd world the first place he will go is to the US embassy...taxes are a small price to pay for help when things get bad...DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 17:33   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
My point is why did you need to burden your story with slams towards Obama and bitches about paying taxes? It would have been a fine story without them.
Because its his story. He can tell it any way he wants. If you want to write one extolling the greatness of socialized medicine, have at it.
__________________
SVNeko is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 18:32   #24
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 502
Images: 2
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Hear hear. Wasn't the plan that if you work hard you got to keep SOME of your own money you worked so hard for. My 401K turned into a 201K, My plant was shut down and moved to China, My pension and health care plans are in China waiting for me.

Banks were giving out loans to million dollar NEW homes to people who lived under a bridge, and got the down payment from a passing car. Then when the broke homeless person didn't make a single payment, they expected the government to bail them out, and they did with My tax money.

By going sailing expat, he is relieving society from his maintenence, at least temperarily, (no fire, police, schools, annual checkups, etc...), He still supports the banks, but thousands of Beaurocrats will have one less person to regulate until he gets back.
My point exactly. Michael..
rubyjean is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 18:41   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
IslandHopper's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,199
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Just added "Jack" to my hero list.....
__________________
IslandHopper is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 21:06   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: So. C
Boat: in between boats
Posts: 71
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Hey Palarran, I totally see your point. Our government is so well run. I can truly understand how and why our politicians totally ripped off the Social Security System. I truly that our health care system should be 100% less affordable than any developed nation. I completely agree that we should be the police of the world and invade othjer coutries for their oil reserves. I get by with a $1 screw driver, but I fully understand the reasoning behind government contractors charging us taspayers $1000. for the same screw driver. I totally agree that all the developing nations of the world should sign the Kyoto agreement, except us of course, we are special. I know politicians families shouldn't have to go to war, let the paupers kids get killed. I know that our university programs and education should be to expensive for 90% of all american families. I don't care that 99% if my tax dollars is wasted and I have no say in how it is wasted, I love working five months a year to pay a corrupt government that should be overhauled, or overthrown. I will gladly stay in my little abode, paying a mortgage that will never mature, while more of my income goes out in taxes every year and the benefits I stand to reap by participating in this society continues to erode faster every year. I think you have it figured, I too aspire to sit on my fat ass on my 56 foot FP Catamaran and slam those who strive for a taste of freedom and dignity, while sending their children to war over money, and power instead of defending our rights to freedom and dignity. .
Please, let's keep the masses occupied with the bullshlt the media broadcasts. We surely don't want them to know about the mass exodus of people with money leaving this country everyday and taking their fortune with them, many to renounce their citizenship simply because they can't decipher or simple 17000 page taxe code.
Palarran, you are a hero, rhymes with....
Whoa, the caffiene in that French roast got to me, sorry....
Larry
__________________
larryb is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 21:37   #27
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Hey Palarran, I totally see your point. Our government is so well run. I can truly understand how and why our politicians totally ripped off the Social Security System. I truly that our health care system should be 100% less affordable than any developed nation. I completely agree that we should be the police of the world and invade othjer coutries for their oil reserves. I get by with a $1 screw driver, but I fully understand the reasoning behind government contractors charging us taspayers $1000. for the same screw driver. I totally agree that all the developing nations of the world should sign the Kyoto agreement, except us of course, we are special. I know politicians families shouldn't have to go to war, let the paupers kids get killed. I know that our university programs and education should be to expensive for 90% of all american families. I don't care that 99% if my tax dollars is wasted and I have no say in how it is wasted, I love working five months a year to pay a corrupt government that should be overhauled, or overthrown. I will gladly stay in my little abode, paying a mortgage that will never mature, while more of my income goes out in taxes every year and the benefits I stand to reap by participating in this society continues to erode faster every year. I think you have it figured, I too aspire to sit on my fat ass on my 56 foot FP Catamaran and slam those who strive for a taste of freedom and dignity, while sending their children to war over money, and power instead of defending our rights to freedom and dignity. .
Please, let's keep the masses occupied with the bullshlt the media broadcasts. We surely don't want them to know about the mass exodus of people with money leaving this country everyday and taking their fortune with them, many to renounce their citizenship simply because they can't decipher or simple 17000 page taxe code.
Palarran, you are a hero, rhymes with....
Whoa, the caffiene in that French roast got to me, sorry....
Larry
Wow!Little touch of cynicism there.None have to stay.Thats one of the other great things about "our" country,freedom of movement. If its 99% bad why wait any longer. Any place that is 98 % bad would be a better place than here...I have only been to 16 different countries and I have yet to find one that I love more than this one,regardless of what goes on every now and then and regardless of the weakness of man.You said there was nothing you could do about it,your wrong ,you could get up on a box and start stumping for public office and if you win the majority of the vote you would have a shot at making a difference...DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 22:25   #28
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Wow!Little touch of cynicism there.None have to stay.Thats one of the other great things about "our" country,freedom of movement. If its 99% bad why wait any longer. Any place that is 98 % bad would be a better place than here...I have only been to 16 different countries and I have yet to find one that I love more than this one,regardless of what goes on every now and then and regardless of the weakness of man.You said there was nothing you could do about it,your wrong ,you could get up on a box and start stumping for public office and if you win the majority of the vote you would have a shot at making a difference...DVC
I love most parts of the U.S. (although you can keep most of your inner cities, please), but realistically, there are a few countries that are just plain run better then the U.S.

Canada for one. Germany for another. Australia for a third. New Zealand and Chile are in the mix.

Americans love talking about their freedoms, yet the fact is, although those freedoms may be somewhat true at the federal level, there are more restrictions on freedom in states and local governments then in many places in the world.

And then the U.S. forgets to regulate important things like banks (hint, look north for an example on how to do it right). It has a horrible medical system, with the highest costs and some of the worst results in the G8. In many places the crime rate approaches third world standards, and overall is significantly higher then the rest of the developed world.

Does any of this stop me from visiting? Not a chance. But I also go to Mexico, Botswana, and Peru.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 22:29   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Cruising forum folks, not a political discussion forum.
__________________

__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.