Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-10-2015, 15:10   #1

Boat: Couch Potato
A bit of advice on next step (mile building)

Greetings folks,

A bit about myself 35 working in it, reasonably intelligent, funny (add all other superlatives) so after a bit of sailing school 20 years back this year finally went back to it. Been doing racing as a bowman in j one design and realised that it is what I love. In the meantime passed my 30 ton licence commercialy endorsed.

Now i wish to gain experience, not necessarily for some future skipper gig or what not but for myself and my love of sailing and my piece od mind.

Apart from taking every opportunity to go out and do it (doing it now) the best way for me to gain that experience is by deliveries.

So I am looking for an advice on how to approach a potential skipper to take me on as crew since my sailing cv is not exhaustive.

I can and have been out by myself, done the watches, elbowed greased the boat (if I am using it i see it as mine and treat it the same) but I want a wider experience.

Ty

Old 17-10-2015, 18:20   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: A bit of advice on next step (mile building)

Ty,

We have some delivery skippers who are forum members. Maybe send them PM's, also look through the commercial section, you might make a connection that way.

Ann

Old 17-10-2015, 20:46   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

google "offshore passage opportunities". It is a good website. I have both been crew on passages on that site and have also gotten crew on that site. You have to pay to join up but it is worth it if you are really going to use it.
Old 18-10-2015, 00:54   #4

Thank you for the replies, will look at it and hopefully start building my experience pool.

Calm seas ;-)

Sent from my LT26i using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-10-2015, 11:07   #5

Boat: Niagara 35

Where are you located?

You're already plugged into the racing scene, so have a look for any big offshore races. If you can't get on as crew, try to get on to the return trip. Just as many miles without the glory.

There are also large cruising rallies each year. Often, the people who take part in these are looking for experienced crew either because they are themselves pretty new and want the confidence of a helping hand or just because most cruising boats are short handed and it can be helpful to have extra help on a long passage.

I've also heard excellent things about Offshore Passage Opportunities, though I haven't used them myself.
Old 18-10-2015, 13:05   #6

Located in Croatia, been doing the transfers for the rallies, last one was for barcolana in trieste, Italy also had an opportunity to move a hanse 505 some 50 miles for the owner. As for local races i am always on hand for any transfer or pretty much anything as long as it gets me on water. The race i missed was the thousand island one from croatia to montenegro and back well u guess there's always next year.

Transatlantic is sort of a dream but good advice I'll check on ARC and the like for opportunities as well as different sites. I asked here since I know there are a number of people who do deliveries and have a big pool of experience. As most people here and as Mr. King says I have a dream... No need to voice it ;-) but until that time I learn what and where I can.

Thx for all the replies much appreciated

Sent from my LT26i using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: