Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13   #76

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Re: 92-year old Navy veteran on boat delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmlj View Post
Use ICW to avoid Cape Hatteras, which is high risk of being very rough.
From my understanding the bridge height for the ICW is 64'. Our mast is 63.5'.

I know of another Leopard 40 that recently made the trip up from Lauderdale to the Chesapeake. They came into the ICW at Beaufort, NC and hit the bridge light on a bridge in Virginia. No damage to their boat but the light crashed down onto their deck. That's a little too close for comfort!
Snowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I had a trans-Atlantic trip planned. 28 footer. Planned to go solo but my wife asked me to take crew. I offered to my father who was in his early 70s but quite arthritic. We did a sea trial, 24 hours out of the Chesapeake to the Gulf Stream, turned around and came back. It convinced both of us of his suitability for the trip. Nevertheless, I was expecting him to jump ship in Bermuda. He stayed aboard, was great throughout and it was literally transformative for our relationship. One of the highlights of my life so far.

You might want to try a one day trial out into the ocean. Maybe from Ft Myers to Dry Tortugas or Key West. Ferry to mainland if it does not work out. I know timing is tight, but it might answer a lot of questions, allay or confirm fears and make decision making easier.
I wish I had time to bring the boat over to SW Florida. I grew up in Cape Coral and Fort Myers and have sailed all over that area. Windsurfing the Sanibel causeway and Captiva are some fantastic memories!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:20   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
not all 92 yr olds are alike. my mommas uncle, our sailing maestro, solo saileda gaff rigged sloop without an engine until he was 95 then fell over in his breakfast. yup just like mary hartman mary hartman only not soup it was scrambled eggs. my dad was frail at 91 and dead at 93. he could not sail for anything, much less walk any distance. my momma is 90 and going strong and travels a lot, even cross country, on her own.
so.
if the dad can walk and talk and is healthy for an old farte, take him sailing. short hops first. if he no likee, he goes back home. no sweat. bucket lists are bucket lists. we revere our old fartes. they gave us wisdom and life. some even fought for our freedom in ww2. they get a break, but not at the cost of safety.
short hop first then assess then continue.
make sure you have an exit plan for just in case.

ps ww2 vets donot deserve nursing home..let him have his way... with a plan and paperwork just in case. my dad died in a nursing home scenario--part of a total care community-- was horrible. take him sailing.
We're planning on adding two or three stops to the itinerary and we'll pay it by ear.

BTW: Dad is a veteran of WW2, Korea and the Vietnam wars. How he made it thru all that is a miracle!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
In my mind, I spin the not-too-unlikely scenario of a good squall, some rough seas, and a venture down to the head that goes awry with a broken hip. You would be in rough waters and need at least one crew to constantly tend the injured while you change course for safe harbor - in that scenario do you then have enough able bodied crew to crew the boat? That extra person does not need to be a nurse (agree with other poster that that is unnecessary/insulting) but it needs to be someone very comfortable with first aid and able to follow directions over VHF for administering care.
I also agree with many posters that the vet can decide for himself (assuming no cognitive impairment) whether he wishes to risk his life. This man has probably seen more people die than many of us and is fully cognizant that the consequences of apparently small decisions can lead to loss of life and limb. I would trust his judgement in that regard.
In my view there are two fundamental decisions - the answer to both must be yes for this to happen. First, if the vet wants to risk his life it is up to him and I agree with many posters that that is a rational and reasonable thing for him to choose. But it is not sufficient - the captain also has to determine in addition, if s/he has the crew needed to properly carry out his/her obligation to reasonably insure safe passage. The delivery captain has the prerogative to approve the crew roster, I would think. The delivery captain may also want to amend the itinerary to be a bit less aggressive (and, quite reasonably, increase the fee), like, for example, going ICW around Hatteras, as suggested above.
All good points that we are currently taking into consideration. Luckily the delivery skipper is flexible with his schedule.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:20   #80

First ... thank your father for his service.

Second .... I would make both your wife and your father go. I would require them to share quarters and split the overnight watch. I would let the delivery Capt do the day shift and I would do as Jimmy Buffett says and "Have a lovely cruise" ... drinking RUM the entire way!! With fruit of course for nutrients.
Mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:23   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

The news that your dad is going is the best thing I have heard, all day. A tip of the hat to the delivery skipper, and I hope your wife has given it her blessings, as well.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 13:52   #82

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel
Wink Re: 92-year old Navy veteran on boat delivery.

I just finished a two day National Outdoor Leadership course in Wilderness First Aid in order to qualify to lead a group at BSA Seabase. Suggest you will feel better if you have this under your belt. Check out NOLS or REI and WFA.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:57   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowind View Post
Hey there fellow cruisers. This is my first post on the Cruisers Forum and I'd appreciate opinions any and all about an upcoming passage my wife and I are planning.

Background: We finally are making time to do some cruising. After a 25 year hiatus away from the water we pulled the trigger and bought a Leopard 40 catamaran. We take delivery late June in Fort Lauderdale and plan to sail her up the East Coast to the Chesapeake Bay. We plan to be in the Gulfstream 5-7 days straight during the almost 1000 mile trip.

Question: How feasible is it for a 92 year old person to make this trip with us. My father is absolutely determined to join my wife and I on this trip? He still drives a car but his mobility is very challenged and I'm very concerned about him getting injured or worse during the trip. We'll never be more than 24 hours from a decent port if we need to come to shore. However, due to many extenuating circumstances, I need to get the boat out of Florida and up to Virginia ASAP.

FWIW: We will have an experienced boat delivery captain on board with us.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Kurt
So if you are 92, how old is dad? Cool.

We joined Salty Dawgs a few years ago. We were low 60s and questioning our decision to cruise when we found ourselves surrounded by sailors well older than we.

Watch your weather windows and have a good time.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 17:20   #84

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronautic1 View Post
Take your dad along!!

I am a professional delivery captain with over 200 FL-NY career transits under my keel. I have had a plethora of crew in my nearly 40 years as a mariner (USCG Vet).

One of my most memorable was a Navy vet who served 44 years before the mast and was being cashiered out after having a stoke while stationed in Japan.

I was delivering a 60’ schooner from FL-NJ and my crewmember’s boyfriend pulled her off after one day (jealousy). Well I met the MCPO at a bar and he expressed interest to sign on, but was concerned because of the stoke. I told him if he showed up the next morning, he was hired.

The next morning the Master Chief showed up in DRESS BLUES with hash marks that I swear filled his jacket sleeve and ran down his pant leg!! So, we worked out a routine where he ran the galley, relieved the helm watch and assisted on deck after I pre-set dock lines.

The bottom line to this story is that I gave a sailor, a man who spent his life on the sea, who thought he would never breath in the salt air or see a sunset on an empty horizon ever again, a chance to feel the ocean under his feet. Even to this day, 20 years later, my heart glows just thinking about the MCPO and I sailing together.

Work out a routine that has purpose and take your dad on the delivery. Time is precious, but memories last forever.

The sea, once it casts it's spell holds one in its net of wonder.
One of the nicest posts ever made on CF! Thanks for the story and good onya, mate!

Jim
Old 03-06-2019, 19:53   #85

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

This has been a most inspiring thread. Thank you!
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 20:17   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowind View Post
The first paragraph sums up exactly how my wife feels. This is going to be or new home and we plan on doing extended world cruising in the next couple of years.
I totally agree here, can you break the trip in two? Start with just your wife and tell dad its a romantic thing, then arrange to meet him somewhere and finish the trip. Satisfy your wives "needs" then meet your dads bucket. If he is unable to travel somewhere to meet you he is certainly then unable to do a long ocean voyage.
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:09   #87

Boat: Birchwood 33

An excellent thread - CF in good humour and on its best behaviour and, not being a trekkie, I even had to google 'kobayashi maru' - you learn something every day.

Bon voyage Snowwind and all aboard.
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:48   #88

Boat: Nor'sea 27

Here's my own 96 year old Navy Vet mom sailing last summer -

She did fine on this short sail and wants to go again this season...but an hour plus in the sun did dehydrate her and she had a short spell of mal de mer after returning to the dock. So keep him cool and watered!
MonkeysNephew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:21   #89

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

I'm only 76, still have a 1600 Too License and am delivering a sailboat from Fort Walton Beach FL to Jacksonville FL via the Keys. The biggest issue older people have on vessels is not being able to get enough rest and staying hydrated. The fact you have a delivery captain means, if her is competent, that the captain will not allow circumstances to develop into emergency situations which would demand participation from your dad.

Realizing the physical limitations does not mean the trip will be more dangerous or more risky.

I'd take him
Bob
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 00:22   #90

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Glad dad is going, Sounds a good call to me!
OP please post when you arrive and let us know how it all went.
Barry
Aussie Sv Risky Business
Currently cruising in the Med.
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, delivery, navy