Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 10:01   #16
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 324
Images: 1
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I find them great boats, you kinda have to get used to the looks and some of the systems but they are a great cruising choice, they will take you anywhere and back. The brand new ones are much nicer on the eye but the older ones are excellent boats that were designed with one thing in mind..cruising and crossing oceans. Good choice!
I agree ! The new ones are now "designed" as much by naval architects as by maritime brokers or charter fleet owners... The result is compromises that are often not "offshore" compatible... For example, my otherwise excellent Ericson 34 has -in front of the mast- an opening hatch where it should have had a couple of real dorade boxes... the result is that, the moment I'm not sailing downwind, I don't have any ventilation except through the companionway if/when I can leave it open ! The funny thing it that they kept the stainless steel arch above it ! Oyster are superlative British design... Look at their dorade box * happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson35.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	94983   Click image for larger version

Name:	NoDoradeBox.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	94984  

__________________

__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:37   #17
Registered User
 
JulieMac's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 130
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hi Julie,

Would this tempt you?

1989 Oyster 53 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I am trying to help...
We love Oysters, this one look pretty good but needs a lot of updates and $. Don't know about the 7'2 draft in the Caribbean.

I'm trying to love Amels, but it's been difficult getting past the design. I'm sure they're great boats, but it's an acquired taste-just like my friend's pug.
__________________

__________________
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:17   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Posts: 504
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

OUCH!!! That was nasty.



One certain fact, the Amel Super Maramu 53 has a 2.05 meter draft and it will never make a great Bahama cruiser. But then, IMO of course, a good Bahama cruiser would be very challenged in the BLUE stuff.
__________________
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 13:27   #19
Registered User
 
JulieMac's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 130
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Truth is, we'd kill to have your blue water boat in a tropical climate-it's barely above zero here in the Midwest of the U.S.

Yeah, as for the pug, I debated taking it down, but figured we cruisers (or wannabees) need a healthy sense of humor.

One thing, I've learned, is never joke about the supply of rum and beer!
__________________
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:05   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New England
Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
Posts: 126
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Keep in mind that a lot of euro market boats will have 220/240 volt ac for shore power, battery charger, inverters, etc. And itís not just the components, 220 volt circuit(s) donít need as heavy gauge wire as 110 volts circuits, so may need to be rewired or have a parallel 110v circuit installed. Not a huge problem but something to check on and factor in to your decision. Good luck!
__________________
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:29   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La la Land
Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Posts: 410
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Having spent a fair amount of time on bard our friend's Amel, they are something of an acquired taste and you must believe in their philosphy.

To my mind, they have some really dumb features: 1 water and 1 fuel tank each of 900l. The saloon is poor, IMHO, nowhere to lounge about, you must sit up and pay attention! Barely standing headroom under the cockpit dodger. Added to the fact they are not exactly speedy given their size, our friend's passage plan at 6kts. Finally, there are those truly horrible plastic decks...

Oyster Yachts after sales is very impressive. My boat, one of the smallest they ever made, left the yard in 1988 and I have never given Oyster a penny. Yet, they maintain an archive of every boat built and when I replaced her engine, they wanted to know which make and why.

We sailed the ARC in 2010, and an Oyster team of seven people gave us a check over of all systems from masthead to rudder, provided a written report to boot. All gratis, I was seriously impressed, along with our neighbours on the pontoon. Their USA office helped out when we had a problem with our AIS in Newport RI.
__________________
LPG? http://www.sestina-services.co.uk/
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:12   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Posts: 504
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Hello JulieMac,

Last chance... this will do all you want without all the headache of teak...

:-)

2008 Alubat CIGALE 16 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
__________________
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:39   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,915
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Having spent a fair amount of time on bard our friend's Amel, they are something of an acquired taste and you must believe in their philosphy.

To my mind, they have some really dumb features: 1 water and 1 fuel tank each of 900l. The saloon is poor, IMHO, nowhere to lounge about, you must sit up and pay attention! Barely standing headroom under the cockpit dodger. Added to the fact they are not exactly speedy given their size, our friend's passage plan at 6kts. Finally, there are those truly horrible plastic decks...

Oyster Yachts after sales is very impressive. My boat, one of the smallest they ever made, left the yard in 1988 and I have never given Oyster a penny. Yet, they maintain an archive of every boat built and when I replaced her engine, they wanted to know which make and why.



We sailed the ARC in 2010, and an Oyster team of seven people gave us a check over of all systems from masthead to rudder, provided a written report to boot. All gratis, I was seriously impressed, along with our neighbours on the pontoon. Their USA office helped out when we had a problem with our AIS in Newport RI.
Sure the Amels are as you say an acquired taste but then you could say that about pretty much any sailboat. I think the longer you cruise the easier it is to appreciate some of Amels features. From the beginning old Henry was never trying to design a boat for double duty, his boats were for voyaging. Over the years I think you will find that one starts to understand his philosophy and the practicle side to his designs. Yes the plastic teak decks don't please the eye of someone used to looking at teak, can't disagree with that but the non skid part of it works and years down the line where you have to cut a cheque for 60+ thousand dollars to have the real teak decks replaced you begin to sort of like them a little more.
The Amels are certainly not for everyone and no one accused them of winning exterior design awards but they are a very well built go anywhere sailboat that can be taken anywhere in the world.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:41   #24
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 324
Images: 1
Talking Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Sure the Amels are as you say an acquired taste but then you could say that about pretty much any sailboat.... The Amels are certainly not for everyone and no one accused them of winning exterior design awards but they are a very well built go anywhere sailboat that can be taken anywhere in the world.
I agree 100%. Last December I met -at Bock Marine, Beaufort NC- an American sailor who was working on his second Amel. He had a first one, I think a 14 meter that he sold upon his return from a round the world cruise & he bought a second one, Amel again... I guess a round the world cruise is a good test to judge the relevance of Amel's choices, don't you think ? This said, I would sail happily Oysters anytime as they are indeed superlative British construction.
__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 15:27   #25
Registered User
 
JulieMac's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 130
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello JulieMac,

Last chance... this will do all you want without all the headache of teak...

:-)

2008 Alubat CIGALE 16 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Glad to see you're still speaking to me! LOL

Interesting layout. I've never seen a settee under the cockpit. I couldn't quite figure out the rear platform. I'm assuming it's for the dingy??

We're don't want to spend that much on the boat, although it seems quite nice. Also want the draft under 2 meters, if possible.

I like Najads, Contests and Oysters. Of those, only the Oyster has a non-cored hull.
__________________
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 20:23   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Posts: 504
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Glad to see you're still speaking to me! LOL

Interesting layout. I've never seen a settee under the cockpit. I couldn't quite figure out the rear platform. I'm assuming it's for the dingy??

We're don't want to spend that much on the boat, although it seems quite nice. Also want the draft under 2 meters, if possible.

I like Najads, Contests and Oysters. Of those, only the Oyster has a non-cored hull.
Of course, we are still friends.. its about personal choices :-)

The Cigale 16 is a retractable keel boat. Draft is less than 3 feet when retracted and drops down to nearly 12 feet when fully down. These things are very tough while capable of serious speed. The aft platform houses the canister Liferaft on passage. Easily beached for hull cleaning.

When I looked at Oysters, I thought that until '92, the hulls were balsa cored... I think one of us has it wrong!

Absolute last chance! This is a twin engined Najad.. bit unusual and is a reason why it so cheap. Been for sale for years but looks good...
__________________
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 21:32   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Posts: 504
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Ooops... no editing function on this forum. So additional post

1993 Najad 510 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
__________________
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 23:01   #28
Registered User
 
JulieMac's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 130
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post

When I looked at Oysters, I thought that until '92, the hulls were balsa cored... I think one of us has it wrong!

Absolute last chance! This is a twin engined Najad.. bit unusual and is a reason why it so cheap. Been for sale for years but looks good...
The oyster 485 & 45/47 all have what oyster calls ' single skin ' hull. Broker also confirmed this. I understand that to mean solid hull above and below the waterline.

Yes, I saw that Najad 510, as well as the 520 & 441's. Great looking boats. That 510 looks wonderful down below, but the twin Volvo's is a first. Many people run for cover when you mention what they call the "green monster". Now imagine two of them! That boat seems to be selling at a diminished value. Think that's why?

What I like about the Oysters is the fact that the decks are glued, and not screwed- at least that's my understanding. The HR, Malo & Najad decks all are screwed down.
__________________
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,915
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
The oyster 485 & 45/47 all have what oyster calls ' single skin ' hull. Broker also confirmed this. I understand that to mean solid hull above and below the waterline.

Yes, I saw that Najad 510, as well as the 520 & 441's. Great looking boats. That 510 looks wonderful down below, but the twin Volvo's is a first. Many people run for cover when you mention what they call the "green monster". Now imagine two of them! That boat seems to be selling at a diminished value. Think that's why?

What I like about the Oysters is the fact that the decks are glued, and not screwed- at least that's my understanding. The HR, Malo & Najad decks all are screwed down.
Julie, I think you will find that all builders these days glue the teak decks in place. Depending on the year a boat was built it could be done either way. R
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:00   #30
Registered User
 
JulieMac's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 130
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Julie, I think you will find that all builders these days glue the teak decks in place. Depending on the year a boat was built it could be done either way. R
Robert, the operative word you use is, "these days". The boats we're looking at are 1990's vintage. A close look at Yachtworld pics, show most Scandinavian boats have screws.

As we will have to replace those decks in time, properly plugging those holes will be critical in keep the deck coring from water intrusion.
__________________

__________________
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buying, Europe, rope

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1968 Cal 36 Pitfalls? titan1969 Monohull Sailboats 10 01-06-2013 02:51
Pitfalls of Buying a Boat Unseen? pina.banana Dollars & Cents 94 21-03-2013 08:39
PI Boat Registration Requirements, Pitfalls & Penalties Gone2long Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 0 08-03-2011 22:36
Adding a Second House Battery - Pitfalls? capkern Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 8 21-07-2009 15:04
Yacht sharing (Syndication) - pitfalls seades General Sailing Forum 0 06-09-2005 05:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.