Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-05-2008, 13:12   #1

6 Year Plan - RTW

Hello there,

I ma very happy to have joined this board, having spent the last 3 hours reading old and new posts. I have decided to post my question having read lots of similar posts that tend to go off topic for 30 pages. I will continue my research and please feel free to send me off to do some more if you think I am being a little niaive.

So, deep breath, here goes:

I am a man of almost zero sailing experience (although I did a 7 day competent crew about 7 years ago) who would like to sail round the world for maybe 5 years. I'm not sure if this is cruising or not as all the terms are new (in some ways!) to me.

OK that's the headlines. I would add that before I (actually we, me and my wife) do this, we are going to drive from the UK - Oz in our land rover. We have been planning this trip for two years and set off in less than a year. Once in Oz we hope to start learning to sail. Anyone interested in this part of our trip can see it at our website, Jenny and Ollie's Big Trip .

We aim to be in Oz for 3 years, before setting off in either a boat or to South America, where we would buy the boat.

Currently, on one weeks research I have decided I would like a catamaran, and would be able to throw about, at a guess, 75000 at it. Seems like a lot of money to me, but hopefully this would buy an appropriate boat.

So, bearing in mind I am a total novice, I would appreciate any advice people could give me about an appropriate boat, and what preparations they think I should undertake to enable taking to the waters as an experiences sailor, rather than a liability.

The next year we will be mainly considering plan nr 1, the drive in the land rover, but certainly I would like to start thinking about plan 2 now as well.

Thanks for listening, feel free to tell me the obvious!

Cheers

Ollie

Old 06-05-2008, 13:55   #2
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Hello and welcome, great plans and plenty of advice here (and some opinion too ).
I had thought the overland trip was a thing of the seventies - good to see some are still doing it!
FWIW there are many who have set off for a RTW with no experience (or hardly any) and a reasonable number of them have survived - although I don't really advise it myself.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 14:25   #3

Thanks

Hi there Wot (!)

Yes, I don't think we would like to consider going with no experience. I suppose what I'm looking for someone to say is something similar to :-

'Two years of experience down in Oz would be fine, with xxxxxxx boat you can sail roundthe world with very few risks and a couple of years experience, especially if you take few chances and use common sense'

Yes, thats the perfect answer for me
Old 06-05-2008, 14:42   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, CF.

Wecome to the forum. Sounds like you're up for some adventures! One way to get started on the sailing thing is to go somewhere warm and take a live-aboard sailing course or charter a boat with a captain to help you get comfortable with sailing it.

There are many threads on CF that you can mine for information and opinions. Here's a good search engine to use. You might want to add it to your "Favorites" or "Bookmarks" folder.

Cruisers & Sailing Forum

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2008, 15:04   #5
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish Folly View Post

Yes, thats the perfect answer for me
Almost perfect - perfect answer is "Drive to Oz, buy a boat, learn to sail and by then realize you are already in paradise and continue to cruise in Oz forever. Paradise is a good destination
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 15:32   #6

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
I probably would not suggest a cat for somebody's first boat. I think there is a lot more trouble that you can get into with a cat. My opinion, after you learn how to handle a standard sail boat well, then you can make the decision to move up to a cat, with it's added dangers and added speed. One does not learn to drive in a fuel dragster or learn to fly in a fighter jet, you start in something simple and then add complexity as you learn. Jon
Old 06-05-2008, 15:53   #7

AHH is a cat the dragster then?

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that. Definitely the sort of comment I'm looking for. Any suggestions for a good boat to cruise the world in? I'd like lots of room, simple to maintain, cheap, safe, easy to sail.... The usual stupid requirements..... but I would sacrifice any one requirement for the right boat.

We not flash, and will be used to living in a Land Rover for two years by then.

Thanks

Ollie
Old 06-05-2008, 16:18   #8

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
bluewater boats

I just posted something on this topic on another cruisers forum, you might want to look there. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - SailNet Community

Jon
Old 06-05-2008, 16:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Nothing wrong with your idea, per se. But as a suggestion, when you get to Australia, spend some of your hard earned savings on a 3 week charter. With a Competent Crew Certificate you should be able to bareboat charter out of Hamilton Island or Airlie Beach without any problems. The surround area (Whitsundays) is absolutely awesome cruising (if somewhat popular), and being inside the Great Barrier Reef, doesn't get rough.

The thing is, that sailing is many a romantic fool's idea of paradise, but it's reality is soemwhat different. I'm not suggesting for a moment that you are a fool (or even romantic, for tha matter), but the reality of live-aboard crusing is that essentially, it means living in the equivalent of a smallish caravan, but without the ability to step out of your caravan and go for a walk, and, just for good measure, a fair bit of the time "somebody" (a.k.a. the weather god) will be throwing buckets of cold salty water at you. you will have to ration your fresh water, get used to a toilet / bathroom the size of a dog kennel, a fridge the size of a shoebox, and just when you think you have found the perfect anchorage, some ******* will come in, plonk their anchor down too close to you, turn up their stereo and run their noisy gen-set all night...

Personally, I love it. But it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea, and unless you try it, you will never know whether it is going to be something that is for you. Going for day sails, or even overnighters is all very well, but until you live aboard for a few weeks, you aren't really going to get an idea of what it is all about, and, in my opinion, it would be better to discover this before you part with 75 large!

Having said all of that, I hope that you do get the bug. Best of luck with your adventure.

Pat
Old 06-05-2008, 18:36   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
The grass may be greener, but have you checked...

If I am reading the advertisments and comments closely Australia must be close to one of the worst places in the world to buy a cruising yacht.

There are not many good ones and those that are are expensive.

Just picking a boat at random I found a 41' 1980 Cheoy Lee for $135k on Boatpoint(Oz) and similar on Yachtworld (US) for $70k.

Since you are not tied to Oz why not sell your Land Rover when you get here and fly to the land of Uncle Sam.

It all looks a lot cheaper, and the Caribbean looks to be a nice place to start cruising.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:00   #11

Great Answers

Wow - glad I posed the question.

I had thought about starting our sailing in the Caribbean, so if prices are as you say say we may even drive the Landie up through South American and start looking for the cheapest place to buy a boat.

And Weyalan, I agree about the beeing on a boat. I'm not actually sure myelf that we will like it. But, we will have been used to living in, and on top of a land rover. Still on the landie, you can generally go for a walk!

So still lots to figure out. Particularly which boat, and how much as a base I need to spend on it. Once I understand that I will know more about whether we will be able to afford it.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Ollie
Old 07-05-2008, 06:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish Folly View Post

'Two years of experience down in Oz would be fine, with xxxxxxx boat you can sail roundthe world with very few risks and a couple of years experience, especially if you take few chances and use common sense'
Sailing and especially sailing lon distances requires a set of skills that are not difficult to master.

2 years of sailing 4 hours a week (weekenders) is different than 2 years sailing 5 days a week with longer and longer "overnights' thrown in to build skill and experience.

So I sy 2 years is plenty if you take those two years to learn the sailing craft.

I would recommend getting a small boat that has all the "bigger" boat systems. Learn what it costs to operate and take care of it. Spend weekends and even week long stay on board.

Sell that boat at the end and buy the "cruising boat of your dreams."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:10   #13

Nice one Dan

I quite like that idea Dan - buying a smaller boat once we are there and start learning on it. Great idea .......

So my never ending question .... which smaller boat would be suitable and what do you think the costs would be?

What I probably need to do is find myself a good - 'Learn to sail' book. Any ideas?

Thanks again everyone. Sorry for being a total novice here. Once I get some leads I'll be reading everything I can. ....
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've never read it, but many beginners have said that "Sailing for Dummies" is a good start. Then read John Rousmaniere's, "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship".
Old 07-05-2008, 07:34   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Yer going to experiance so much new enroute by the time yer reach Oz ideas and dreams will probably have changed - if yer wanted a predictable life I guess yer wouldn't start doing this! - so I wouldn't put too much money into the sailing part of the dream now.....

Find out if you / the Missus actually like being on boats - IMO the best and cheapest way would be sailing on other peoples boats (all shapes and sizes) - hang around a few bars or the Docks and offer to do "favours for Sailors" .

Get on terms with folk, especially at fitting out time where an extra pair of hands or a paint brush comes in handy.......effectively another way to work your passage

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: