Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 13:51   #16

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: 50ft monhull vs 44ft cat

I'll take the one crewed by a competent skipper, thanks
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 13:54   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I'll take the one crewed by a competent skipper, thanks
Mono with good skipper

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I think you need to know what kind of anchor they are carrying and how many guns are onboard.
GUN THREAD COMMENCE!
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:34   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Talking Re: 50ft monhull vs 44ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Mono with good skipper
But isn't a cat with a bad skipper more seaworthy than a mono with a good skipper? :-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:41   #20

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
First off all boats can sink even catamarans. So taking that argument completely out of the mix that leaves you with capsizing. (in this example anyways).

I've been knocked down in a 30ft catalina (water pouring into the cockpit) she weather helmed and came right back up. If I had done the same thing in a catamaran I would have been screwed. ( now I know it is harder to do on a catamaran but it is still possible) and before you get all hurt I love catamarans. I've chartered a couple and enjoyed them very much.

However if I were to be crossing an ocean I would feel much more comfortable in a mono knowing that if things get bad I can button up the hatches and if we get rolled the "lead" will eventually get the big metal pole pointing upwards again and I can continue on.
Ill bet the winds it took to lnock you down would have been great sailing on a cat....
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:27   #21

Having had both a 47 mono and then a 42 cat, I can say the cat will carry a load better. Frankly though, I think a mono is safer. Just not convinced all cats will float that long upside down and you might be lucky to survive the overturn. Wouldnt likely make me refuse to go with a cat though. JMHO

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:33   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I am not getting into the purile and frankly pointless conversation. But Cheechako, surely it doesnt matter if all cats will float, what matters is that the one you choose will?

We now from direct evidence that at least one model of lagoon sinks, we know from direct evidence that A fastback 43 will refuse to sink even if you are a skipper trying to scuttle her. I am confident that I could pick one that would float.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 17:01   #23

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

What is patently obvious here that if you prefer catamarans, the answer is a catamaran, but if you prefer monohulls, the answer is a monohull (no surprises there, Sherlock). From that we can conclude that it doesn't matter which one. And has been pointed out already which specific monohull or which specific catamaran is far more important than monohull versus catamaran. My oft repeated line is that if you had to ask the question you ain't gonna understand the answer...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 17:26   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Ill bet the winds it took to lnock you down would have been great sailing on a cat....
Maybe I misspoke. The knock down was a blast I had a hoot, especially since it was midnight with no moon and was pitch black out (talk about adrenaline).

However my wife who was sitting on the lee side of the cockpit and got soaked from the waist down........some how her funometer remembers it quite differently then I do. I guess different strokes for different folks.
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 17:42   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

That racing trimaran that recently capsized is a prime reason that I'd never single hand a multi across the ocean. If there is no one at the helm to react to a sudden gust of wind, it is too easy to expose the dark side of a multi. Looked like the tri was running on auto pilot handily under control with both crew on the windward ama or trampoline. When the gust hit, they couldn't dump the main sheet or head off the wind. Result was an excruciatingly slow roll up to the point of no return.

From memory, it looked like the tri heeled so it's rudder was out of the water. That precluded steering the boat out of trouble. With no steering input, the boat just sat there and slowly continued heeling till it went beyond the point it could recover. Dumping the main might have saved them but neither crew was in a position to do that. A catamaran would have kept one rudder in the water but may have been quicker to roll to a point where it couldn't recover. In any case, without someone on the helm to make split second heading and sail condition changes, they are too prone to prone to floating upside down.

As I've said before, it's little consolation that the boat will float upside down if you drown because you get tangled in rigging or knocked unconscious as the boat goes over. That happened to an acquaintance on a tri. Found the boat turned turtle with the crew drowned and him missing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 17:49   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

the one with the most cold beer
Old 17-10-2013, 17:54   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As we don't drink beer, we would go with the one with the best freezer and the best cook !!
Old 17-10-2013, 18:06   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
That racing trimaran that recently capsized is a prime reason that I'd never single hand a multi across the ocean. If there is no one at the helm to react to a sudden gust of wind, it is too easy to expose the dark side of a multi. Looked like the tri was running on auto pilot handily under control with both crew on the windward ama or trampoline. When the gust hit, they couldn't dump the main sheet or head off the wind. Result was an excruciatingly slow roll up to the point of no return. From memory, it looked like the tri heeled so it's rudder was out of the water. That precluded steering the boat out of trouble. With no steering input, the boat just sat there and slowly continued heeling till it went beyond the point it could recover. Dumping the main might have saved them but neither crew was in a position to do that. A catamaran would have kept one rudder in the water but may have been quicker to roll to a point where it couldn't recover. In any case, without someone on the helm to make split second heading and sail condition changes, they are too prone to prone to floating upside down. As I've said before, it's little consolation that the boat will float upside down if you drown because you get tangled in rigging or knocked unconscious as the boat goes over. That happened to an acquaintance on a tri. Found the boat turned turtle with the crew drowned and him missing.
I don't think anyone would sail one of the AC catamarans across the Atlantic either. Doesn't seem fair to use a full out race boat that will do speeds a mono could never dream of as an example of why you wouldn't sail a very distant cousin, a slower cruising cat, across an ocean. Doesn't bring any relevance to the conversation.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:28   #29

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don't think anyone would sail one of the AC catamarans across the Atlantic either. Doesn't seem fair to use a full out race boat that will do speeds a mono could never dream of as an example of why you wouldn't sail a very distant cousin, a slower cruising cat, across an ocean. Doesn't bring any relevance to the conversation.
Exactly, moderatly rigged cruising cats and tris bear no resemblance to the full on racing machines and shouldnt be saddled with their. Reputation
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:40   #30

Thank you for all the input.
Let say a jeanueau oceania 50 to a lagoon 440!
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote