Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 12:46   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: 50 ft mono vs 40 ft cat

An Amel 46 is a small 46.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
My wife and I are ready to retire and start full time cruising. We want to upgrade from our Morgan OutIsland 41.6 to an Amel 46 or a 38' to 42' up galley catamaran. I want the Amel because of its a proven design "go anywhere" boat. My wife likes catamarans because they feel more like a home with open spaces and comfort........Since life in general is easier when my wife is happy, we are getting a catamaran.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 12:59   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I drove charter cats for years and loved that sweet spot where we easily get over 20 kts.
But when I bought a cruising boat for my wife and I, I'd have to spend twice as much to get a 40' cat as I did for a 49' Jeanneau DS. The Monos advantages are roller furling main which allows us to set reef and furl it single handed. Close winded, tacking 70 degrees and less instead of 110-120. My friends on an Amel 54, buddy boated with a Leopard 48 and another 50' cat and consistently outsailed them on downwind runs, all setting colored sails. (they all had kids). Passage times were days faster. Given the extra load I'm carrying (3" of waterline) I don't think I could do it on a cat. Like so many other cats, I'd end up with a motor running while sailing. Not to mention the possibility of grounding damage. A cast iron keel would lose some paint to a reef but everything on a cat is pretty fragile.

SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 13:04   #18

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's often assumed cats have a better motion ie dont roll etc, my personal experience is this isnt true, they jerk. I prefer the slow movement of a large mono that has a fair degree of form stability ie beamy and fat bum, combine that with a deep keel and you have reasonably pleasant ride.

The reason I mentioned type of space was the OP talked about a 40 ft cat having the same space as a 50 ft mono, it may in a cubic feet sense but feel sense it dosent. It has a bigger cockpit, and more cabins but the saloon galley area is much bigger on my mono than a 40 ft cat, 8 ft headroom as well, also my cabins are very large although I only have 2.

Modern monos have evolved.
I agree.

My Amel 50 has the same salon and galley space as my ex-Lagoon 450. The master and fwd stateroom is equivalent, but the 3rd stateroom is smaller on my Amel. The covered outdoor cockpit area was much larger on the Lagoon 450.

One thing that almost drove me crazy on the catamaran was the loud bridgedeck slapping. It was like constant explosions that would violently shake everything. Some people might not mind it...

Again, I have not experienced any other catamaran sizes or brands.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 13:54   #19

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

My experience comparing comfort is limited to at anchor in a moderately rolly place. Our 41ft mono rocked back and forth with a period of several seconds. We went for dinner and drinks on the Foutaine Pajot 40 next to us. While it didn't roll and the movement was smaller in amplitude, it bounced around in a much quicker more random fashion. I found the Cat more uncomfortable, but maybe that was b/c I'm not used to that motion? I suspect that general feeling will hold true out at sea with a Cat bucking vice a rolling of a mono.
Mono's are better to wind and your Amel will certainly be quicker close to the wind. The Cat may be faster on a Beam reach to broad reach but direct down wind the mono will be as fast or faster if you fly a spinnaker.
The biggest advantage for a Cat is the shallow draft... really nice in places like the Bahamas.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 13:56   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44

My experience is cats much better and faster on reaching and running for equivalent waterline length. Monos better close hauled and close reach. Cats have a tendency to hobby horse going into the sea. Anchor cats much better. Overall living area and storage cats much better. Above waterline living my preference over below waterline. Not being heeled when under powered sail has not been mentioned which is huge if you have tendency to be seasick. Cost is almost double so if budget matters absolutely a factor. But its just like real estate - the best places to live cost more. I lived aboard a 40' Cat for 2 years in Asia and woudn't change a thing. But now I'm divorced, and I'm therefore shopping for monos.
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 13:56   #21

As I definitely spend more time on anchor social area and specially deck space in open air are more important to me. By that I mean that I have more total living space that I can personally use on a 40 F cat then on a 50 Mono adding space of deck and below. However due the narrow hulls on a cat areas for sleeping are not as comfortable as a center line berth.
A shallow draft gives me more opportunity to access to a convenient anchorage and many times closer to shore, thus avoiding more often marinas.
On the other hand the additional cost in marinas as a full time live aboard is certainly worth considering. In the EC in general itīs much more then 20%

Shorthanded I find a 40 F cat easier to manage then a 50 Mono.... well, the Amel SM, considering it being a ketch might be kind of an exception with all the electric sail handling.

In general I consider more the comfort then performance
Now the Amel SM is a lot of boat but I could see myself down sizing to something like a cat with the layout similar of the Lagoon 400 / 3 cabin owners version.. I would use the port forward cabin as my work shop, add a big freezer, and maybe convert the guest head to some kind of mix with laundry. so the only space I donīt use personally is the guest room on the port side that I can still give the use as spacey garage for toys.
The track for main sheet handling is on the cabin top and out of the way. That will give me a very clean aft and a huge quality living space together with the salon. Add on some 1 - 2 KW of solar panels and it will feel even more spacious.
I have enough space for solar,maybe an additional wind gen or tow gen. some 5-800 amp Lithium. So I donīt need a gen.
That is a lot of boat for just 40 F.

With the money of the Amel SM You might be able to touch a Lagoon 400 S2 Owners. As far as depreciation of value over time I would feel more comfortable with the 40 F cat
Old 18-11-2019, 13:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse_44 View Post
My experience is cats much better and faster on reaching and running for equivalent waterline length. Monos better close hauled and close reach. Cats have a tendency to hobby horse going into the sea. Anchor cats much better. Overall living area and storage cats much better. Above waterline living my preference over below waterline. Not being heeled when under powered sail has not been mentioned which is huge if you have tendency to be seasick. Cost is almost double so if budget matters absolutely a factor. But its just like real estate - the best places to live cost more. I lived aboard a 40' Cat for 2 years in Asia and woudn't change a thing. But now I'm divorced, and I'm therefore shopping for monos.
But we are talking about a 40ft cat vs 50ft mono, big difference.

I'd choose a 40ft cat over a 40ft mono.
Old 19-11-2019, 01:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Ok, well what cats and monos are we talking about? Theres significant differences between various boats. An outreamer 40 is very different from a lagoon, an island packet is very different from a Beneteau.

If I had to generalize ie let's say lagoon 38 vs my Catalina 470, my mono is faster and mostly has a better motion, not to mention will go to wind like a freight train.

As I said earlier this changes alot once the cat gets bigger, I would choose a big cat over a mono nearly everyday but not a small cat.

Maintaince, it's a boat, maintaince is a constant, I think the differences are minimal even though a cat has two engines.
Amel super maramu vs a cruising 40ft dat. Let's sai FP lipari or Lucia etc.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 01:45   #24

Thank you all for your replies and input. As I said I know I have a very good boat, just this cat idea comes every now and then...like I said biggest problem is the looks, I've been on s lagoon 38 and I didn't like it. A boat has to look reasonably good .
So conclusion would be correct mr if I am wrong,
An Amel 52 compared to a 40ft cruising production cat:
It is faster, more comfortable motion, approximately same expenses .
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 05:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
Thank you all for your replies and input. As I said I know I have a very good boat, just this cat idea comes every now and then...like I said biggest problem is the looks, I've been on s lagoon 38 and I didn't like it. A boat has to look reasonably good .
So conclusion would be correct mr if I am wrong,
An Amel 52 compared to a 40ft cruising production cat:
It is faster, more comfortable motion, approximately same expenses .
Personally I believe the Amel Super Maramu to be abit of a roller, maintaince is great due to well thought out build and engine room. They sail faster than on paper suggests, particularly ddw crossing oceans.
Old 25-11-2019, 08:26   #26

Boat: Taswell 43

Following.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 09:39   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

I think it depends where you are going. Heading around Cape Horn, or even Cape of Good Hope, your mono will be more comfortable, and in my mind, more confidence inspiring. Mucking about in the Caribbean, shallow draft & increased social space favor the big cat.

Maybe circumnavigate on the Amel, with a cat for the off season homebase?
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:10   #28

I switched from 47’ mono to 42’ cat and will never go back

More room to live in.
Way more comfortable at anchor
Much less tiring when sailing. No heeling. No going up and down companionway steps

I have the perfect boat for sale for you😁
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:18   #29

Boat: Cal 2-46

I have sailed offshore in three different design catamaran.

For Cats, I like the speed. And the even platform.
I don’t like the noise or the motion. The sea smashing into the bridge is very noisy and jerks the boat every time.

If you intend sailing offshore then you need to compare mono and cat at sea. If you don’t mind the noise and bashing of the waves then the cat has huge benefits.
Example trip. Tonga to NZ Cat 4-5 days. Mono 6-7 days.

Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 14:57   #30

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

My G/F and I did a 3 hour cruise around Sydney harbour on a Ferry, Also a big Cat,
She is new to sailing,
It was quite a windy day,
The thing she did notice was the mono's on swing moorings were rocking and rolling very badly, while the cats on swing moorings were just sitting there calmly,

Its very easy to see when you look at the mono's masts swaying violently back and forth,
I only have a 14 feet wide Cat and it dont roll violently,
It sits flat and level, All the time,

I dont sail upwind so it dont pound under the bridge deck,
Im a cruiser, I can wait a couple of days for a tail wind to take me where Im going, In comfort,
Bashing into headwinds is not fun,
Approx, A third of your day is in bed asleep, I like to be comfortable in a bed thats not rolling sideways,
I also like to put my coffee cup down and it stays where I put it, Not over the side,

But any boat is down to personal preference and what you want to do in it, and where you want to go in it,

Parked in a Marina, Full time, Get a houseboat,

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote