Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2014, 09:08   #1

5 weeks Baja & Sea of Cortez

Looking for ideas to extend our 2014 Baja Haha. My wife's scheduled 5 weeks time to do this year's Haha (end of October, early November). I estimate that the Haha San Diego to Cabo takes 12-14 days, depending on time spend in Cabo. I don't want to stay in Cabo any longer than necessary. That leaves us 3 weeks to explore.

Options that I'm considering are (1) head to La Paz for about a week, turn around and head back to San Diego, (3) spend the entire 3 weeks in the Sea of Cortez, my wife flies home and I find crew to get boat home, or (3) we slowly make our way up the coast stopping every day or so at various fishing villages. I don't really want to leave the boat in La Paz. I don't have the 5 week schedule, so my schedule's more flexible.

To bash back, we can do the typical Cabo to Tortuga Bay, refuel, on to San Diego. That leaves plenty of sea room, if short-handed. Are there any worthwhile stops on the pacific side of Baja and could we take the 3 weeks wandering up the peninsula?

I'm starting to pour through the various cruising guides. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 10:33   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: 5 weeks Baja & Sea of Cortez

I'd go for option 3 with a twist.
Boogie to the Sea, then sail up to San Carlos Sonora and truck the boat back.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 16:12   #3

Steve - that's an idea. That would give my wife the full 5 week experience and not bash back! Any recommendations on this and/or risk trucking the boat?
Don
Old 14-02-2014, 16:32   #4

Option #2 if not the trucking idea. Too much time getting in and out of La Paz. Might as well hit the high spots in the Sea. Figure 3 weeks to bash up the coast with weather delays etc. It's often a "get up early and motor like hell before the wind picks up in the afternon type of trip."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 17:03   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

San Diego to La Paz and back in five weeks would be hellish. Put that option out of your head entirely.
Old 14-02-2014, 17:08   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I have done the Baha Bash eight times (I know there are lots of people who have done it many more times than that) and never had a terrible time of it. Sure, there were some uncomfortable days and some days when we just had to 'hole up' to wait for better weather. On the other hand, my wife and I did it once in 127 hours from the time we cast off at the fuel dock in Cabo to the time we secured our lines at the police dock in San Diego.

Baja California is one of our favorite places to cruise and we're looking forward to cruising there again someday. You could have a lot of fun in five weeks but, of course, you could have more fun in five months or five years. La Paz is a delightful city and I could easily see swallowing the hook there, the hot summers notwithstanding.

The only potential difficulty that I might caution about is that the early November time frame of the Baja Ha Ha is often a less than ideal time to cruise the Sea of Cortez. Northerly winds can blow at 25-30 knots for days on end and it can feel down right chilly. But, with all the climate change going on around the world, who knows what kind of weather you could expect?

Almost everyone I've spoke with speaks very highly of the Baja Ha Ha. Have a great time.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 17:22   #7

Years ago Cruising World published an article called The Baja Dash, the concept being daysails up the west coast heading north. Seemed to debunk most of the Bash, in addition to what Mr. Schneider wrote.

I also had a friend who sailed from Vancouver, BC to Mexico, spent a year, trailered it home from San Carlos.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 18:06   #8

I did the Haha with two friends a couple of years ago and we had a blast. I didn't care for the late-night chatter on the radio (how do i anchor, how do I rig spinnaker....), nor waiting in line for a beer or taco. On the other hand, I think this would be a great introduction for my wife to longer distance sailing and she's a lot more social than I am. I think she'd enjoy this and that would lead to other cruising adventures. The whole idea.

My buddy and I bashed back the following August - as I recall, it was 10 days La Paz to San Diego, gentle motor-sail all the way. I don't we saw winds more than 5 knts and 2-3' seas the entire trip (except for La Paz down to San Jose-that was nasty). None of the horrors you hear about rounding Cabo Falso. I agree with leave early, morning calm, etc....

It sounds like the "Baja Dash" might work - I'll google that! Thanks!
Don
Old 15-02-2014, 09:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
San Diego to La Paz and back in five weeks would be hellish. Put that option out of your head entirely.
Is that what he was saying? Wow... yeah forget that...
But hey... dont worry about it anyway, the Mexicans are going to impound your boat and you can fly back!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 11:11   #10

La Paz was a brief consideration. I don't want to spend much time in Cabo, so thought onto La Paz. Agreed, we don't have the time.

Looking at Stu's idea of "Baja Dash". Take our time, every day/couple days tuck in for rest and change of scenery. On the return, once past Mag Bay/Santa Maria (170km), there's coastal anchorages every 20 to 100km's. If prevailing north-westerlies, then Santa Maria to Juanico (91km), to Abreojos (~60km), to Hippoliot (~27km), to Asuncion (~24km), to Tortuga (~50km), Cedros, to Santa Rosalillita (~80km), to Playa Maria (~21km), to San Carolos (~64km), to Punta Bajio (~27km), to San Quintin (~25km), to Colonet (~40km), to Enseneda (~64km) .... all look like good options.

Any experiences re: these anchorages? Bahia de Ballenas (Abreojos) natural reserve looks interesting.

Appreciate everyone's input,
Don

Tags
baja, sea of cortez