Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 15:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: 5 things You'll Learn About Yourself living on A Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJeeper View Post
I like it .... I like the idea of "roughing it".
I've gone months without a shower before, and you just get used to it ..... only a few will know how precious a new shipment of baby wipes can be in the desert after no one has showered in a month or two.
Amen I carry a case on my lil boat as well. One wipe takes the place of lots of bumwad. Makes me feel better and cleaner to. But showers only in the rain in arm weather. Otherwise a quick swim to check the waterline for growth does the job for me.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:17   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Amen I carry a case on my lil boat as well. One wipe takes the place of lots of bumwad. Makes me feel better and cleaner to. But showers only in the rain in arm weather. Otherwise a quick swim to check the waterline for growth does the job for me.
Us too! Costco baby!

I think this was a fun tongue-in-cheek look at the cruising life. We don't poo ovr the side but I have seen cruisers that do!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:42   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

I think it just goes to show you how many different types of "cruisers" are out there.

Some view it as a permanent vacation and are touring the world. They stop at every marina etc

Others enjoy making their boat totally beautiful and "cruising" the local waters.

Then there are others that want the best money can buy.

Then there's the group that is sort of the "Into The Wild" type on older style boat that can afford better but refuse go that route. Plus we may like history and appreciate the way they did it back in the day.

Those of us that are still working enjoy disconnecting and feeling free for a few days. Even skipping a shower and not eating all organic from Whole Foods for a while........

I saw a couple one time I stayed at a marina on my boat sitting in the cockpit on their laptops. I'm guessing they were waiting for dinner at the nearby restaurant. They looked very bored as if they were at home. I knew then I was in the wrong place. I didn't get this old "go anywhere " monohull to sit at a marina and wait for dinner.

http://www.christophermccandless.inf...wildmovie.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:57   #19

A humorous read.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 16:40   #20

Boat: islandpacket

Great read. To bad some felt it was a call for advice when none was needed or asked for.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-09-2015, 17:16   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Well, it is funny, but totally unrealistic. Maybe these things can happen to those that have not adapted to cruising or those that are unsuccessful with life aboard a boat. Successful cruisers have no problems with personal hygiene or managing their time and activities aboard.
Old 23-09-2015, 19:08   #22

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

I liked this a lot. not because any of it was a revelation but the tone was that of someone just discovering the joys and the subtle nuances of life aboard a boat. it takes me back to when I was young a taken under the wing of experienced sailors who were willing to share the joys of cruising with me. and it reminds me of the great joy I get when I take a someone new to sailing a living on boats and show them what this life is all about. which to me is a big deal because I am most often a singlehander, my solitude on the water nd with my boat is of great importance for me so a person has to be very special to me for me to be willing to share this part of my life with them.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 20:18   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
I liked this a lot. not because any of it was a revelation but the tone was that of someone just discovering the joys and the subtle nuances of life aboard a boat. it takes me back to when I was young a taken under the wing of experienced sailors who were willing to share the joys of cruising with me. and it reminds me of the great joy I get when I take a someone new to sailing a living on boats and show them what this life is all about. which to me is a big deal because I am most often a singlehander, my solitude on the water nd with my boat is of great importance for me so a person has to be very special to me for me to be willing to share this part of my life with them.
When I was younger, I once took a bunch of friends out sailing on my crappy Cal25 (which I bought, sight unseen on the internet, which had just been invented). A few years later, I ran into one of those guys, and he had bought his own crappy boat. He told me that one sailing experience with me was all it took...he was hooked, and thats why he bought a boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL2.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	109751   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL3.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	109752  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL1.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	109753   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL6.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	109754  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 00:40   #24

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
When I was younger, I once took a bunch of friends out sailing on my crappy Cal25 (which I bought, sight unseen on the internet, which had just been invented). A few years later, I ran into one of those guys, and he had bought his own crappy boat. He told me that one sailing experience with me was all it took...he was hooked, and thats why he bought a boat.
hee hee, its true, thats all it takes...I never stood a chance cos my dad was already an addict. He was a WW2 vet., that generation weren't scared of the ocean after what they'd seen. He thought it was a bit of fun to pile into a 32 footer with some mates and sail from NZ up to Fiji for a bit of a race.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 04:42   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Ever been to a rest home for the elderly? It is a smell that will be etched forever into your senses. But I agree with u that we need less showers as we age.

One of my sailing buddies told me about a big Taiwan boat they took down to Mexico from San Francisco. The captain brought his new romance with him and told her about boat life and water usage. After three warnings of emptying the tanks just for her shower ... He bought a ticket home for her. Smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 05:05   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
After three warnings of emptying the tanks just for her shower ... He bought a ticket home for her. Smile
After draining the fresh water tanks, they poured all the bottled water into the tanks for more showers. They saw no need for bottled water, since they only drank beer, wine or hard liquor. When I suggested they simply pour the water from the bottles over their heads, they thought I was crazy.

I snatched the water bottles from the ditch bag, and kept them hidden in my bunk, since I don't "drink".
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 06:13   #27

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
and thats just it, getting other people hooked on it is so much fun. you'll never find me with that many people on my boat for anything more than a daysail or possibly an overnight.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 13:22   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

On many boats there is a very effective way to limit shower length: the breaker for the pressure pump is usually not in the shower area, but on the main switch panel... so, after whatever the skipper reckons to be "enough" time and water, the switch is thrown to OFF and the shower is over.

After a few repetitions, most bathers can learn!

Jim
Old 24-09-2015, 13:33   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark doesn't have an accumulation tank, so the fresh waterpump "grunts" as it cycles on and off. At first, it annoyed me, but then I considered it as an alarm.

I carefully explain to anyone wishing to shower in the head, the principles of a Navy shower. I tell 'em, they get 10 grunts to get wet and 15 grunts to rinse.

Any abusers have to schlepp the freshwater hose and fill the water tanks at the end of the weekend.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:04   #30

Boat: Ericson 25 CB & 23 CB

My father told me the same thing- that you stink less when you get older. I think he didn't realize that he was losing his ability to smell. He reeked!!
NV OldNavy is offline   Reply With Quote