Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 09:42   #1

Boat: Peterson Islander 40
5/16" G4 HT Gal Anchor Chain

I have been shopping around on line for the best price. They vary a lot. So do the specifications! It's supposedly all genuine ACCO and made in the USA but I have my doubts. My rusty chain measures: 11.7 lks/ft.
Does anyone have the true specifications for the abovementioned chain?

J.
Banshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 10:12   #2

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat
Re: 5/16" G4 HT Gal Anchor Chain

Can't help you with the specs, but we got a good price on ACCO chain from Defender for our replacement chain. The most important point, however, is that you are 100% sure your source is actually selling you ACCO & not some Chinese crap. Our boat came with crap chain which completely rusted in just 1 year & by year 3 the links were rusted to the point that the links wouldn't even pass thru the windlass. So if you have to pay more for verified ACCO chain - I would.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (640x480).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	102697  
Old 25-05-2015, 10:38   #3

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

Thanks

I have already sent an email to Defender. No doubt they will contact me tomorrow.
Banshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 14:54   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Try the manufacturer of ACCO chain for the specs. Be sure to specify windlass G4 chain.
http://www.peerlesschain.com/

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 10:23   #5

Boat: KP 46

maxwell has an excellent sizing spreadsheet that is downloadable from their website that should tell you everything you want to know about chain.

Chain Wheel Selection Guide

click the Download the Maxwell Chainwheel Guide spreadsheet at the bottom of the page.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 10:53   #6

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

Based on where you are located, you might consider "Titan G43 High Test Chain." It is sold by Amazon and shipping was free to the East coast. I found chain at a better price in Washington State, but shipping put it over the top.

:Titan™ Marine Products is a brand of Canada Metal that specializes in world class marine chain, rodes, anchors, lines, and shackles. We understand the importance of using reliable equipment for boats, which is why all of our products are proof-tested and engineered in Canada to ensure that they exceed industry specifications."

Good luck!

SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:11   #7

When I purchased ACCO chain in the past, I immediately had it subjected to heavy duty galvanizing (might been a waste, but it seemed heavier than when it first arrived). I also have an effective grid and drain in my chain locker so it doesn't sit in water, and I re-galvanize as necessary before any significant rusting can occur. And for those that know and respect John Neal's opinion, he suggests rinsing it with fresh water before stowing it below.
Old 26-05-2015, 12:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJennie View Post
Based on where you are located, you might consider "Titan G43 High Test Chain." It is sold by Amazon and shipping was free to the East coast. I found chain at a better price in Washington State, but shipping put it over the top.

:Titan™ Marine Products is a brand of Canada Metal that specializes in world class marine chain, rodes, anchors, lines, and shackles. We understand the importance of using reliable equipment for boats, which is why all of our products are proof-tested and engineered in Canada to ensure that they exceed industry specifications."

Good luck!

Would be very interested in hearing your long term experience with the Titan Chain. Canada Metal is (surprise) based in Canada but I believe the chain and many (most, all???) of what they sell is actually manufactured in China. Notice their blurb says "tested and engineered in Canada" not manufactured there.

Of course, China can make excellent products but you need to spec and inspect what you have made there.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:59   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Marine outlets are often the most expensive way to buy anything, and shipping chain can be costly or inconvenient. Try pricing at a local rigging company for a better (commercial) price. [You are also more likely to get quality chain.]

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 13:09   #10

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJennie View Post

Good luck!

Notice it says "Engineered" in Canada not made or manufactured.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 13:10   #11

The Titan chain is made in China, and the current free shipping price is $142.00 less than when I bought it in March of last year. However, I have yet to see how it fairs in the water although the galvanizing looks very good.

If the galvanizing doesn't hold up as long as some believe of other brands, I will have it re-galvanized wherever I can find a facility. Be that as it may, all in all, it will still be a lot less expensive than purchasing the the brand of chain I had before, and believing I had to re-galvanize it while it was still new.

How's the saying go, "you pays your money and you takes your chances."

All the best!
Old 26-05-2015, 18:35   #12

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Today we purchased 200' of ACCO/PIERLESS 5/16", G-4 chain from Southern Supply in Biloxi, MS. at a great price. They also sell the chain from China at a lesser price. I was surprised to find that they do not sell ACCO shackles but have those from China. They also stock shackles from CHICAGO METALS, a U.S. company which I have not heard of. I did purchase four CHICAGO, 3/8" shackles for the new chain. Anyone have experience with their products? I have not been able to find US made shackles at West Marine either.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:05   #13

Hard to beat Wichard, sold at West Marine, made in France but very reliable.
Old 26-05-2015, 19:13   #14

Here is an interesting bit of info about foreign made shackles:

We have evidence of defective shackles made in China, Japan and Korea, failing at much lower levels of tension than that for which they were rated. They can be identified by the safe working load being stamped into the body rather than embossed on (raised lettering) the body, which is the standard for US manufacturers. Another method of identification is a square head rather than a thumbscrew on the pin, provided the original pin is in the shackle.

It is imperative that all rigging and lifting equipment be subject to a through examination prior to use. Please take time to immediately survey your shackle inventories. If any of your shackles do not have both the reputable manufacturer and load rating embossed on the body, please immediately take them out of service. All of these unaccredited shackles should
be destroyed to prevent further use.

Authorised by Andrew Ferguson, State Secretary, CFMEU (Construction & General Division) NSW Branch,
12 Railway Street, LIDCOMBE NSW 2141 Ph: (02) 9749 0400
Email: enquiries@nsw.cfmeu.asn.au; Web: www.cfmeu-construction-nsw.com
Old 26-05-2015, 19:30   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Crosby, alloy, high strength shackles.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor