Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 16:00   #31

Re: 41 year old and seeking a new life in Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
And as you retire at 65-70 surrounded with all your accomplishments and material wealth, and health issues start to imped mobility you realize that you forgot to have an adventure or to seek out fun things to enjoy..

Bummer
or you ran out of money after cruising a few of years and had to go back to work at 1/4 what you were making at the peak..... just sayin'... think it through... plenty of derelict boats out there that were "dreams".. some anchored in paradise overgrown with "stuff"...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:30   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
or you ran out of money after cruising a few of years and had to go back to work at 1/4 what you were making at the peak..... just sayin'... think it through... plenty of derelict boats out there that were "dreams".. some anchored in paradise overgrown with "stuff"...
See above. And go take a walk on a dock at a nearby marina and see the gardens growing on the bottoms of these dream boats. Or the liveaboard that paid tons for his boat and has it for sale but will never get his money back.

Best is to get an old, tough boat and try it out for a while. There are tons of old full keel boats out there that can handle way more than you can. I got mine for $2,000 and although I'm looking at larger boats and have come close to buying, I know my boat is all I need while I'm still working..........

When I first got my boat, I'd get seasick. (but am over that now) My boat though has a tiller autopilot, so I would curl up in the cockpit (usually ended up dry heaving over the side here and there) while my boat took me back home even when the waves threatened to come over the stern with the strong Nor'easters I sailed thru. Fun stuff. Clears out the old system.

And btw, if you do buy an old boat and the hoses connected to the seacocks are old and rotten looking, close off the seacocks. I've seen too many newbies with their boats darn near sunk because one of these old hoses fell apart.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:34   #33

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

In my opinion, first, decide what kind of sailing you want to do. If you're going to live aboard, you'll need to look at living and storage space, berth size, cooking arrangements, etc.

If you're going to work a regular job, and just cruise for a few weeks or months a year, you might want to look at some decent trailerable sail boats.
You can choose your sailing grounds, depending on the weather, and get there at 60-70 mph.

If or when you decide to sell it, a smaller boat will usually keep its value better.

My second bit of advice would be to figure what you can comfortably afford, then go with less. Then if your financial situation changes, you may still be able to keep cruising on less.

Just my 2¢.

Old 04-06-2013, 16:44   #34

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
This is true! At some point in your sailing life you're going to need to return to a life without a boat!
I had to help six older men off their boats and into ambulances. All had had their wives return to shore to live with the kids and left Dad to sit on his boat. Each of these men had drank themselves into a stroke.

So my previous post about leaving yourself an exit strategy is valid.

Richard the owner of Latitude38 once explained it to me this way: Each year aproximently 300 boats leave the West Coast and sail to Mexico. After 1 year, half have returned home, the second year half of those left return home, and so it goes.
On the East Coast, how many who daydream about boat ownership, sail to Georgetown? How many of those reach the Caribbean Sea? How many stay longer than five years?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:45   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's a nice full keel boat that is also trailerable. And btw, two of these have circumnavigated:

Contessa 26'
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:50   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Its tough mate... take it from a true boat bum... you spend everything on your boat and live on 1 sausage roll a day for 4 months to get her set to sail... don't believe me...? ask Alan at Sailcraft, Oriental... he watched me struggle to get my boat set for the crossing to the UK.
Wife and kids along...? mate... work a few more years and get some cash together else you'll end up like me...
Just another bum trying to scratch a living and hoping he die's at sea coz he can't afford to get buried....
I may be laughing... but I aint joking....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:11   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

I can't see where your dream and sailing (or is it about cruising?) overlap.

Why not a bike then? Wind in your hair (if any left) and still a good father (unless you started early, 40 is not when you are actually free from 'being a father'). God invented the universe, Devil invented universities ;-)

Why not search the memory and find something that you actually did (rather than dreamt of doing) when young - something that gave you the feelings that you are now once again after? But mind you what gave you pleasure when you were young may no longer hold any charm. Still, why not have a test ride. With well fastened seat-belt.

Not to say all sailing is bad and could lead to even more trouble - even alcohol (in small doses) is known to have some positive effects. So one is free to try everything, with moderation.

As far as your age goes: you are young and you can master whatever you (truly) apply yourself too. You know there are people who learn to ski or ride a horse when they are 80 or so. Can do.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:37   #38
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Looking to start lessons this summer and will take the kids when it is feasible. Probably can't afford courses for us all. East Carolina Sailing School cost $250-$1000 per course (ASA101-106). Will bring them and teach what I learn.

Wal-Mart.....Ack! how about doing dishes at a Lobster Shack

I like working at Wal-Mart part time. You'd be surprised. It will buy me some toys for my boat I couldn't afford otherwise. It's actually challenging work (cashier, a lot more complicated than you would think). I don't want to work in a hot kitchen, and Wal-Mart pays me significantly above minimum wage, which is probably all you would get washing dishes. But my point is that if you think creatively there may be some way to help pay for your dream.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:10   #39

Boat: hunter 376

You may be trading one extreme for the other, without really considering the possibility of finding a way to have your cake, and eat it too, so to speak. I know I don't know all your circumstances and situation, but since you asked...
Its balance...life, family, job, fun, adventure...balance.
Is there just NO WAY you can mend a few fences at home? Make a career change? Buy a boat, and get the whole family involved in sailing? You could continue working, earning the money to learn to sail, maybe get your family involved in aspiring to a week long ocean cruise in a year or two...tell the kids you could all learn to SCUBA as well as sail. Show me a kid who wouldn't like to learn to scuba dive...or sail... or fish...
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:57   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
In my opinion, first, decide what kind of sailing you want to do. If you're going to live aboard, you'll need to look at living and storage space, berth size, cooking arrangements, etc.

If you're going to work a regular job, and just cruise for a few weeks or months a year, you might want to look at some decent trailerable sail boats.
You can choose your sailing grounds, depending on the weather, and get there at 60-70 mph.

If or when you decide to sell it, a smaller boat will usually keep its value better.

My second bit of advice would be to figure what you can comfortably afford, then go with less. Then if your financial situation changes, you may still be able to keep cruising on less.

Just my 2¢.

I think there's real advantages to having a trailerable boat. I would just say, make sure you have an efficient, reliable and safe way to raise and lower the mast.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:32   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think there's real advantages to having a trailerable boat. I would just say, make sure you have an efficient, reliable and safe way to raise and lower the mast.
Very important.

My mast is easy for one person to set up. I connect all the rigging except for the 2 forestays, put the bolt through the tabernacle, and I can walk the mast up.
Then connect the 2 forestays, adjust the rigging tension, connect the boom, set up the sails, and we're good to go.
Old 04-06-2013, 19:34   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Very important.

My mast is easy for one person to set up. I connect all the rigging except for the 2 forestays, put the bolt through the tabernacle, and I can walk the mast up.
Then connect the 2 forestays, adjust the rigging tension, connect the boom, set up the sails, and we're good to go.
Aint small boats great...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:35   #43

Boat: Columbia 41

I had a get out of here moment just this morning. When I poked my head up the companionway I saw the tide max and falling. The wind was out of the north to take me down river. Oh, but it would have been so easy to leave Washington. I had felt a strong pull to the job and all the people I know there. But now I see the way out. It's not leaving something, it's going to something else.

Try the boats at Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale A good number of the are older, larger boats. But for what you want you will have to pay cash. You can't finance a boat much over 10 year of age.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Aint small boats great...

And they're cheap and easy to maintain too!
Old 04-06-2013, 20:05   #45

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Plenty of time to learn to sail at 41. Another factor to consider if you are splitting up your family is custody arrangements and travel plans. Most custody arrangements do not allow the children to leave the country. If you plan to stay in the US that isn't an issue but thought I'd bring it up.
Good luck!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing