Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56   #16

Re: 41 year old and seeking a new life in Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Is there some kind of way you could spend the summer near a sailing comunity? WITH your kids ... and all of you learn to sail. For instance, in St. Petersburg there are numerous places for both kids and adults to learn to sail.

You could do eomething like work at Wal-Mart part time pretty easily.

Man you should see how much rain they just forecast for us. I have to drop everything and go do the laundry NOW or walk through a monsoon later. That's one of many realities about living aboard.
Looking to start lessons this summer and will take the kids when it is feasible. Probably can't afford courses for us all. East Carolina Sailing School cost $250-$1000 per course (ASA101-106). Will bring them and teach what I learn.

Wal-Mart.....Ack! how about doing dishes at a Lobster Shack

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56   #17

Boat: Fastback 43
Carolina,
Much of what you need to learn can be learned on an inland lake, but not everything. You can start the process there, but it's a good idea to get some ocean experience before you commit. Some people love sailing on lakes, but not the ocean.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I am sure it depends on the trip but how much money would have made you more comfortable?
Standard, somewhat trite but somewhat true answer, it costs as much as you have.

To really, really get into that issue read these previous discussions on the forum. Make sure you have a couple of extra hours and food and drink to sustain you through the long ordeal.

Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)
Old 04-06-2013, 13:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Carolina Blue, I did it at age 64 (and, by the way, I'm a single female). If I did it, you can.

There's no "myth" to the adventure. Because of my age, it isn't wise for me to live anchored out, and I don't want to anyway. I WANT to be connected to my life on land. I have a friend who lives on his moored boat. When he goes out to his boat, he's basically out of reach until he comes in the next morning. It might be more isolated than you want to be. I would suggest that you first rent a live-aboard slip and learn the tricks and turns of living aboard before settling on a life anchored out. It takes a lot of organization to not have to row to show yet one more time because you forgot pet food or something else you absolutely can't get through the night without.

Are you familiar with boats enough to work on them? My friend makes a good living working on boats, but he has excellent (beyond excellent) skills. You would not believe what he can do with a piece of teak -- or Lexan. But he has a shop in a rented storage facility on land that he uses as his workshop.

You have to think about how you will get an income. I have what most would consider a "drone" part-time job, but it supplements my retirement funds, and it's not the center of my life. When I'm done I come back to my boat. A weather system will be coming through soon and that will probably make the boat rock in its slip in a way I love. I'd get a lot more of that anchored out -- but i would also have to bundle my work clothes up and wrap them in plastic to go from my mooring to work.

A lot of things take longer than you might expect on a boat, and keeping things organized is a constant challenge if you want to actually sail your boat as well as live on it. Most live aboard sailors I know will move to a trawler or even houseboat when they can't sail any longer, because living on a sailboat is an ultimate compromise between life's demands and the realities of your living space.

One way to TEST whether you would like it would be to rent a SMALL RV for a couple of weeks. We did that when our children were 5 and 8 andwe all agree it was the best vacation we had, including the minimalist life style. An RV is easier to live on than a sailboat but it would give you some idea.
Hey Raku, not sure if I would live on the vessel or not. Probably not at first but I would like to take a long trip next year (after lessons and some experience locally). I would eventually consider living aboard.

I don't have any boat repair or building experience. I am a chemist by degree and trade. but Willing to Learn and from reading this forum the past few weeks it sounds like to be a successful sailor there is much to be learned whether I am willing or not.
Old 04-06-2013, 13:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You might be interested in the adventures of this couple, Pat was a commodity broker in Chicago, quit at age 27, and him and his wife Allie have been traveling since. Now they have two very small children who are with them. They have done one circumnavigation, and will be going on another with their current boat.
Bumfuzzle
Old 04-06-2013, 13:08   #21

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
I am sure it depends on the trip but how much money would have made you more comfortable?
A couple thousand a month in reliable income would be really nice. We're working on that. We don't like expensive restaurants or fancy clothes, but a few more spares and marina money for hurricane season without worrying looks really good from this side of the fence.
We had a chunk when we started but unexpected expenses after the launch flailed that pretty thoroughly.
Old 04-06-2013, 13:21   #22

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Carolina, there are different paths to a successful life with the sea and much will depend on how you like to do things, make decisions, learn, handle risk, etc. Some people jump in feet first and succeed, but most people do better with a little more planning, building skills, trying different things.
Sailing school classes are fine, but not cheap (though maybe cheaper than some mistakes that people can make). Community sailing programs and clubs, crewing on other people's boats (a bit of an art form but not too hard to pick up), reading, knocking about in little dinghies, basic boating classes (Coast Guard Auxiliary, Power Squadrons, state boating and waterways/parks/etc. departments), free seminars at boat shows or at boat suppliers, etc., joining lower-cost or free clubs and groups, and just hanging out with sailors are all good paths.
Old 04-06-2013, 13:23   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Hey Raku, not sure if I would live on the vessel or not. Probably not at first but I would like to take a long trip next year (after lessons and some experience locally). I would eventually consider living aboard.

I don't have any boat repair or building experience. I am a chemist by degree and trade. but Willing to Learn and from reading this forum the past few weeks it sounds like to be a successful sailor there is much to be learned whether I am willing or not.

Oh you've got that right! Some lessons are forced right down your throat by Mother Nautre. Maie sure this is a REALLY positive experience for your kids, even if you have to set aside what you want most at first. You need them on your side if you expect to sail with them. This has to be fun fun fun for them.

There are two kids living with their father on the boat next to me (but it is a big boat). He has found a bbysitter who is comfortable getting on and off, and being on, the boat. I'm not sure how it works since he has a job, but he's home schooling.

For whatever reasons, these kids are "all in," and it's a really positive experience for all three of them.
Old 04-06-2013, 13:24   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
That should not be an impediment. I sell chemicals by trade but am an electrical engineer by degree and it hasn't stopped me from aspiring to be a sailor.
Old 04-06-2013, 13:55   #25

Your too old to start because .. .. .. . um no .. maybe your too young to start because .. .. .. hmm nope nothing there either.. go for it.

Lots of good advice so far I agree with making it fun for the kids that can be a big thing. I spent my summers growing up as a teenager livingaboard and loved it. I got really into photography and when I came back to land for the winter I had great pictures to show all my friends they were super envious .. it was neat to be the cool kid.. lol..

I like you am in my 40's (45 now) and just starting my journey to get back out on the water and make it my home. the house is up for sale and Im shopping. I would suggest at least the asa 101 for you and the kids just because it gives a pretty solid foundation. the rest of the classes coastal, navigation etc you should do yourself when/if you feel it would be a help. I know people who learn much better by themselvs and all the information is out there. me.. not so much I need a class so I am planning the financing for a bunch of asa classes into my budget.

a piece of advice that was given to me a month ago is dont buy your cruising boat right now. get something 20-22 ish in ok shape that you can take out by yourself or with the kids right now.(no kids for me but still applies) and spend a year or two really getting your skills up and getting comfortable onboard. that size of daysailer around here (puget sound) apears to be holding value pretty well so you are only out insurance and docking fees, havent hit the cruiser bank too bad.

most of all have fun. keep us informed as things progress and I hope to see you out there someday.
Old 04-06-2013, 14:29   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

There is a $2500 25' Grampian ($3500 with a 9.9 Yamaha) which includes a good mooring in the protected Town Creek harbor behind Discovery Diving in Beaufort, NC. It doesn't look too awful and the owner claims it is seaworthy, it's been listed with Eastern Carolina Craigslist. I know an old-timer that went through two hurricanes on a 25' Grampian in Taylor's Creek. Buy it and get started, sell it or give it away if you don't like being on the water. Note it doesn't have full standing head room, but then neither does a 41' Concordia.

Everybody talks about needing a bunch of money saved to start being a liveaboard, which does make everything easier and is necessary if you plan to leave the country, but if you are resourceful and determine to be happy no matter the circumstances, money ceases to drive your existence. I wouldn't go back to the rat race for for any amount of money and living a minimalist lifestyle with your children would be one of the greatest gifts you can give them IMO.
Old 04-06-2013, 14:41   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The only "con" I can think of really is that you are entering your prime earning/advancement years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 15:06   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I think I missed something. How old are your children?
Two cents here, living on a boat and cruising on a boat are two different things. You can live on a boat in a marina on the hook or on a mooring ball. It's just like an apt with water views and tiny.
You can cruise on a boat moving around seeing different places but it's hard to find solid work so it takes cash.
Either way it's a life style and your personality has to meet that life style.. Have fun and as it was stated earlier if ya got to make a 180 hey so what you tried it!

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 15:07   #29

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The only "con" I can think of really is that you are entering your prime earning/advancement years.
And as you retire at 65-70 surrounded with all your accomplishments and material wealth, and health issues start to imped mobility you realize that you forgot to have an adventure or to seek out fun things to enjoy..

Bummer
Old 04-06-2013, 16:35   #30

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

If you have a job you enjoy, then working doesn't suck.
That really is key. I've always just quit any job that was dreadful, there have been a few. Life is not supposed to be all sunshine and roses, if it was you'd hate sunshine and roses after a while, and want some rain and daisies.

Maybe get a small sailboat, they are fun, don't have to live on it.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: