Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 13:37   #166

Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
+1 on Power squadron courses. I took piloting and advanced piloting early on and it saved me heaps of trouble. It kept me out of danger over thousands of miles of coastal passages and ICW, without really a single grounding, and with at times no electronics. There are other things that must be learned through experience, like inlets or anchoring/docking in a wide range of conditions. Inlets I learned the not so easy way, just a spanking though, and all it took. Hard as a new sailor to learn to lie out at sea when an inlet isn't hospitable, and you're ready to drop the hook. Inlets can be treacherous when wind is against current.

You're on the right track. Take the course, read some books and see where it leads. BTW, I took my PS classes in AVL 8 or so years ago, don't know if it is still active.
Cheoah, I just looked up the site for the Blue Ridge Power Squadron here in Asheville. Don't look like any activity since 2011 but I sent an email out any way. Thanks for the tip but I think the may be obsolete.
Carolina Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:44   #167

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Thanks everyone for contributing to this forum. I, first of all, learned to appreciate the community amongst sailors and aspiring sailors that this site (www.cruisersforum.com) provides.
Secondly, I have learned to pace myself. While the dream of the adventure makes me feel like I can jump out there in a 50' Cruiser on a rumbline to clear, blue and tropic; you guys have taught me that there be shoals along the way. I'd better slow down a bit and good seaman knows when to set his drogue.
My dream has been tempered and good sense restored. Here is my current plan (LOL, I always have to laugh when I come up with a plan because life has a way of doing what the hell it wants regardless of my plans):

(1) I have bought the book "Chapman: Piloting and Seamanship 66th edition" it has helped with some of the language I just threw at you guys.
(2) I will sign up for the ASA 101 course down on the coast
(3) Thats it!

I won't make any decisions until after that and I will first see if I really enjoy the sailors life. I will continue to contribute to this forum with questions and as new things arise. I will listen to your suggestions. I will keep the kids involved as much as possible and do what I can for my marriage (a discussion for a different site)

My adventure began with this, my first, post and I have no idea where it may take me. I may wander back to terra firma never to be heard of again or a may sail into the beautiful horizons with some of you fine folk. Only time will tell where this adventure may end.

Thanks ALL
Chapmans......boooooooooring! Get a boat and sail on the tiny lake near you. Are you near Cold Mountain?

ASA Classes? It can all be learned on the water and with books for probably $500 (and that includes the boat) or so if you have a yard to keep the boat in.

If you want to read sea stories try Ship Killer. Or OuterBridge Reach which might scare you away from sailing.........

Also, the Open Boat is good by Stephen Crane: Here it is for free:

The Open Boat by Stephen Crane

Also, James Michener's Hawaii is awesome if you like sailing stories and it will teach you about being near a lee shore with a crappy boat.

Btw, I just came back from bouncing around on the bay for 5 hours. Wind never came in good for a cross............. my point, get experience. You are not wet reading a book, there is no strange motion to get used to, no dry heaves which are always fun when you have to unjam your roller furler and whatnot...........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 17:52   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Chapmans......boooooooooring! Get a boat and sail on the tiny lake near you. Are you near Cold Mountain?

ASA Classes? It can all be learned on the water and with books for probably $500 (and that includes the boat) or so if you have a yard to keep the boat in.

If you want to read sea stories try Ship Killer. Or OuterBridge Reach which might scare you away from sailing.........

Also, the Open Boat is good by Stephen Crane: Here it is for free:

The Open Boat by Stephen Crane

Also, James Michener's Hawaii is awesome if you like sailing stories and it will teach you about being near a lee shore with a crappy boat.

Btw, I just came back from bouncing around on the bay for 5 hours. Wind never came in good for a cross............. my point, get experience. You are not wet reading a book, there is no strange motion to get used to, no dry heaves which are always fun when you have to unjam your roller furler and whatnot...........
Yes, I am near Cold Mountain.

I get it that the Chapman is boring. I like to get as much book knowledge as possible it seems to make the practical lessons (like out on a boat) more meaningful.

In the last two weeks I have read "Adrift" and "Once Upon a Gypsy Moon". So yes I like to read sea stories. Almost done with "The Open Boat" sounds like these poor bastards are going to die.

I will be out on a boat soon. I hope you get to make your crossing soon.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:14   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Yes, I am near Cold Mountain.

I get it that the Chapman is boring. I like to get as much book knowledge as possible it seems to make the practical lessons (like out on a boat) more meaningful.

In the last two weeks I have read "Adrift" and "Once Upon a Gypsy Moon". So yes I like to read sea stories. Almost done with "The Open Boat" sounds like these poor bastards are going to die.

I will be out on a boat soon. I hope you get to make your crossing soon.

Adrift is an awesome book. I wonder if he built his boat too lightly? I wish I knew more about that boat. I'm wondering if he was sailing say a Bristol, Contessa, or Cape Dory would his boat have survived. Makes me want to find a spot for a small hard dinghy on my boat.

Cold Mountain is a great book too. Is it near Boone? I went through Morristown, TN a few years ago to see where my son used to race BMX in the early 90's and went on over to Boone. I do a lot (used to do tons) of cycling and Armstrong used to train in Boone. It's very pretty there, I had a local that took me on a dirt mt road short cut. We were both stopping for a quart of beer etc and I followed him. Damn near crashed in the process.

The best of Open Boat is when they are cussing the guy waving the jacket ..................and the end plus the writing from back in that day.

If you have to be near it, Dead Calm used to be a good movie. Not sure now, it's been years. Plus Joseph Conrad is good. Youth is a good example.

Also The Dove by Robin Lee Graham is old (1970's) but pretty awesome. I really liked his second book. He had sailed around the world chasing a girl (most of it on a 24' boat using sextant etc) but had never driven a car. ( he left Los Angeles for his sail at age 16) Btw, he moved to Montana when he got back! (in the mountains,ha!) I have all those National Geographic Magazines about his trips with the nice photographs. He was 16 and Patti was a similar age. He sailed home on a Luders 33 I believe.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:49   #170

Old 15-06-2013, 21:59   #171
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
+1 on Power squadron courses. I took piloting and advanced piloting early on and it saved me heaps of trouble. It kept me out of danger over thousands of miles of coastal passages and ICW, without really a single grounding, and with at times no electronics. There are other things that must be learned through experience, like inlets or anchoring/docking in a wide range of conditions. Inlets I learned the not so easy way, just a spanking though, and all it took. Hard as a new sailor to learn to lie out at sea when an inlet isn't hospitable, and you're ready to drop the hook. Inlets can be treacherous when wind is against current.

You're on the right track. Take the course, read some books and see where it leads. BTW, I took my PS classes in AVL 8 or so years ago, don't know if it is still active.

Completely agree with you. The Power Squadron classes are TERRIFIC but they have to be followed up with hands-on practice. You simply can't learn important saiing and navigation skills from classes only and no time on water.

For instance after I took their chart-reading course, I used the charts and the channel markers to find my way through a couple of bridges, tricky turns, winding channels, etc.

They have a great course on anchoring, but it's not like anchoring in a variety of circumstances making the judgments as you go. It would be like trying to learn to play baseball only from a book. It just wouldn't work.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 11:57   #172

Boat: wharram tiki 26

@ thomm225 your input here is jolly good. keep those off beat vids coming.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 12:41   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
@ thomm225 your input here is jolly good. keep those off beat vids coming.

I'm glad you like'm. You just like Deborah Raffin. Am I correct? She had an awesome look!!

I drive my son nuts sending him this crap! Tell me about your boat.

Btw, just heard this one on the radio on the drive home after getting beatup on the boat singlehanding in 20 plus with gusts. Offshore wind..................

I was thinking I needed a new hairdo. How about this one for a 57 year old.

then there's this. Good instruction in case you have a girlfriend. (alright din)

Old 16-06-2013, 13:13   #174

Here's one I probably shouldn't post especially if Carolina Blue is watching. It gives a real pull for life on the water. It's from the movie Islands in the Stream (Hemingway):

sound track

Old 16-06-2013, 13:31   #175

One more:

Old 16-06-2013, 19:55   #176

Quote:
I'm glad you like'm. You just like Deborah Raffin. Am I correct? She had an awesome look!!

I drive my son nuts sending him this crap! Tell me about your boat.

Btw, just heard this one on the radio on the drive home after getting beatup on the boat singlehanding in 20 plus with gusts. Offshore wind..................

I was thinking I needed a new hairdo. How about this one for a 57 year old.

then there's this. Good instruction in case you have a girlfriend. (alright din)

Thomm, Thats stuff is out right hilarious "Carl and Malinda: got me over here busting a gut.

I hope you made a safe passage.
Old 16-06-2013, 20:06   #177

Quote:
Here's one I probably shouldn't post especially if Carolina Blue is watching. It gives a real pull for life on the water. It's from the movie Islands in the Stream (Hemingway):

sound track

Thomm, do you ever run out of material? If ever you send a post with out footage to back up your claims we may need to send the CG to check on you.

I just realized that George C. Scott looks just like the guy from the Dos Equis commercials (The Most Interesting man in the world). Thats funny. The movie does look good. I will have to check it out.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:13   #178

This thread is great. I'm 28 right now and have been working on making a life of sailing a reality for several years now.

I have a career as a financial analyst right now and have come to realize that the only way to make my dream a reality in a financial sense is to save some serious cash. I've developed an investment strategy that's focused on generating income--high yield dividend payers, corporate bonds, etc. I've been making decent progress so far.

Also, I wasn't saving money at nearly the rate I needed to. I'm discovering that the only way to build up a lot of money is to get it in big chunks. I've been altering my career path somewhat to focus on international placements that pay HUGE premiums.

Have you thought about some more unconventional and adventurous careers such as working on oil platforms or deep sea fishing? Those tend to pay a ton of money and have large periods of off-time. For example, rig workers usually do 28 days on and 28 days off--while making around $20k per month. That might enable you to make plenty of money for the cruising time, and then have a while month off to sail around! It could also allow you some quality time with the kids.

I think I'm discovering that a cruising lifestyle will definitely require some out-of-the-box thinking. Good luck man.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 13:12   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
This thread is great. I'm 28 right now and have been working on making a life of sailing a reality for several years now.

I have a career as a financial analyst right now and have come to realize that the only way to make my dream a reality in a financial sense is to save some serious cash. I've developed an investment strategy that's focused on generating income--high yield dividend payers, corporate bonds, etc. I've been making decent progress so far.

Also, I wasn't saving money at nearly the rate I needed to. I'm discovering that the only way to build up a lot of money is to get it in big chunks. I've been altering my career path somewhat to focus on international placements that pay HUGE premiums.

Have you thought about some more unconventional and adventurous careers such as working on oil platforms or deep sea fishing? Those tend to pay a ton of money and have large periods of off-time. For example, rig workers usually do 28 days on and 28 days off--while making around $20k per month. That might enable you to make plenty of money for the cruising time, and then have a while month off to sail around! It could also allow you some quality time with the kids.

I think I'm discovering that a cruising lifestyle will definitely require some out-of-the-box thinking. Good luck man.
Or you can stay in the box, move near the coast and teach yourself to sail on a boat that you bought for $2,000 or so.

Plus sailing ain't that hard:

it's just different on different days: (sorry for the video quality but you can see the point I think)

Old 22-06-2013, 13:31   #180
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Quote:
Or you can stay in the box, move near the coast and teach yourself to sail on a boat that you bought for $2,000 or so.

Plus sailing ain't that hard:

it's just different on different days: (sorry for the video quality but you can see the point I think)

Sail solo a lot don't you...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing